Advice for the 20-Something Party Girl

Options
Hi Everyone!

I'm new(ish) to this site! I used it a few years ago to lose about 20 pounds but then I put it all back on. I'm a very recent college grad about to start my real-person life.

I am one of the very few, rare college grads that actually got a job, not an internship, in my field. I feel extremely lucky that things worked out so well for me and now I want to improve my heath and body.

I recently had a breast reduction surgery which has changed my entire body image. I have always been a heavier girl but at 5'1, my frame can't support my amount of weight. I'm not looking to be a skinny-mini, though. I really prefer the muscular type and I think that is what is best suited to my body and I love working out. Now that I will have my evenings free of homework and my chest free of intense pain during workouts, I want to kick my weight's *kitten* and make my body as awesome as my new job.

One setback: I can't workout for another month due to my recovery from my surgery. It is driving me crazy because I really like to be active. In addition to the 35 or so pounds that I wanted to lose before, I put on an extra 10-15 during my recovery from my surgery from being completely sedentary and eating fatty foods all day long.

My plan is to work on my eating habits during my first month and then kick my workouts into high gear. I've done boxing before and I really enjoy it so I think I'm going to do that three days a week and run about twice a week (since now I can without shooting pains after the first mile!).

Here is my biggest problem and where I could use the most advice: I'm 22 and like I said, a very recent college grad. I like to drink...a lot. Most of my social interactions involve alcohol and I am not willing to give that up. I know that the most practical solution is to choose light beer and liquor with diet soda, but after my friends and I party, we ALWAYS end up getting greasy, fatty foods and then I feel like my week has been derailed and I get frustrated. Once I start working out again, I think I'll be able to make this up by just going extra-hard during the next workout. For now, I'll need to practice self control when sober and inebriated. Any advice for this? Additionally, I go out to eat a LOT.

Here is what I'm thinking to counter both bad habits:
1. For drunk-eating, try to stick to foods that are not fried or always order a kids meal.
2. For going out to eat, I think I'll give myself three choices: I can either order a non-fried appetizer as my meal, a salad (with low-fat dressing) as my meal, or get whatever I want, but only eat half and take the rest home. Obviously, I'd still try to make healthy choices but this way, if I'm really craving the carbs of a sandwich, I'm not depriving myself--I'm just limiting my intake during meal time.

Finally, another question for you: what do you do to get yourself back on track if you have a terribly off week? In the past, my diets have failed because I'd be able to stick to them Sunday through Wednesday, but when the weekend would come, I would completely mess up and decide that there was no point to sticking to it since I had already broken it. Then I would vow to be better the next week and mess up again.

Thank you so much for all of your help! Now that I'm an independent, responsible adult, it's time to get responsible about my health.

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Just storp eating so much. Drinking has a lot of calories, so maybe cut back. I'm in college, and I used to party a lot. Bottom line, you cannot expect to loose weight and give into your drunchies. Drink only low cal drinks since you said you refruse to give up drinking. Stick to 55 or 65 for beer or mikes light or vodka shot. Or mixed drinks with diet coke. Be careful; drinking is probably the main reason why you have gained weight. It's not good for you.
    And fyi, finding a job after college is not that rare, but congrats
  • AshCarlson
    AshCarlson Posts: 122
    Options
    I know how hard it is to change your entire life or it seems that way. I think this site will really, really help you as I know it did me. I'm 24 and in the same boat as you. I'm currently finishing up my Master's,working full time, have a wonderful husband, and no kids which equals socializing quite a bit!

I know we can do this!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    hha wow tough love on some of these answers. i know people who are still looking for jobs after graduating 3 years ago so i do think that is a big accomplishment. my boyfriend is going to school to become a biomedical engineer so we shall see how many time we have to relocate next year to try to find a job for him haha.

slect 55 has a lemonade, its really good :} like other people said you have to stick to lighter drinks if you cant give it up. you could try to cut back on the how many times you go out too.

i find that if i tell people im with that im trying to not eat out, (if they are good friends) they would help me make better choices

either that or i dont bring money with me. so im forced not to give into my bad habbits.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options

she was just asking for advice. you don't have to be mean.

I know how hard it is to lose weight while in your early 20's. I don't drink like I used to (i have a 17 month old) but when I do I drink Vodka and Diet tonics. It is better than the carbs in beer. You should look up the nutrition in the fast food places you tend to go to with your friends so you know what to get when you go. Taco bell has a fresco menu and the calories are pretty low in those foods. If you know you are going out, do and extra workout those days. Maybe you can even limit yourself to drinking on weekends and maybe once a week. I know it's hard! Good luck
  • lsmortenson
    Options
    I am 22 as well, and I was just like you. Drinking every night. Eating out A LOT. Eating greasy food after a night out of drinking.
    Unfortunately, losing weight doesn't happen with that lifestyle. You have to decide what is more important to you. You have to make sacrifices and changes if you want to achieve your weight lose goals.

I still go out on occasion, but I do really limit myself. I try to limit it to once a week. And even then, I am still watching what I drink and what I eat. Light beer, liquor with diet, etc. And I definitely don't get as drunk! And as far as eating bad afterwards.... yes, I have had a couple bad nights when I have caved and eaten terribly but I decided that the guilt I had the next day wasn't worth it.

As far as eating out... When possible, I try to plan ahead. If I know where I am going out to dinner, I try to look up menu nutrition before I go so I have an idea of what to order and still stay within my calorie limit for the day. You have to become okay with not eating what all of your friends are eating. It's hard at first but worth it in the end. Sometimes it helps me if I think of it this way : Going out to eat should be about enjoying the company of your friends more than the food.

These are just some things that have helped me, I hope they help you! Good luck!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I am an avid drinker (please read not a drunk!) Basically I like to have fun and drink wine with dinner. My boyfriend and I also like going out for dinner and such so I have similar issues. Here are somethings that have worked for me:
    1: I switched to red wine. White has more sugar and I drink it faster. Red I tend to sip more and drink much slower.
    2: I drink Bud Select 55. My BF and friends make fun of me but when they want to drink all day on a patio and watch the ball game I can join in and not feel bad.
    3: Vodka with club soda and a lime wedge is surprisingly refreshing!!
    4: I NEVER order fried food.
    5: I usually order a grilled chicken sandwich and depending on calories for the day I usually take the top part of the bun off and eat it like an open faced sandwich...the bun has the most calories.
    6: I try and eat something substantial and low calorie before heading out so I do not feel like ordering a ton
    7: As for drunk munchies, just say NO! This is the hardest...but this is where you can screw up your WHOLE day!

Hope this helps....I know people will say that drinking is wasted calories...but you also need to have fun or you will lose all motivation fast! Moderation is the key!
  • ljaglady
    ljaglady Posts: 39
    Options
    Hey congrats girlfriend! It is very hard to find a job in the career you went to school for! I am going back to school this fall because I can't find a job in my field either! I would say work on your eating habits because it's 80% nutrition and 20% exercise. Your body has an amazing ability to sculpt itself with what you eat :bigsmile: I have to agree with the other two post about the drinking though. It's hurting your body more than helping. Maybe just cut back a little at a time? I think you will see a great improvement once you start eating better though! Good luck!
  • PlayLikeACardinal
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice, everyone! And yes--I will definitely be scaling back my partying to once or twice a week. It comes with the territory of having a full time job and needing to be my best at 8:30 AM!

I love the tip about not bringing money with! That could also help limit how many drinks I buy at the bars. If I only bring $5 with me, I can only buy one or two drinks. I live blocks away from most of the bars that I go to so this isn't as dangerous as it sounds!

And as far as whomever said that finding a job is not rare--I wasn't trying to brag. I honestly just feel incredibly lucky that things worked out this way for me. It was just about working hard, meeting the right people at the right time, and networking like crazy.
  • evenidomhnaill
    Options
    Ok hear is my 2 cents worth.
    Save calories for the weekends if you are on a 1500 daily allowance save 200 a day for 5 days then you can have 1000 extra at the weekend also you could save some from exercise too I would not save more than 250 a day though as you might just stay at the same weigh. I wouldn't go below 1200 but would use my exercise instead
    Drink loads and loads of water to stay hydrated as alot of alcohol will affect that
    drink things like vodka soda water and a dash of lime or add soda water to white wine it will make them last longer and dry white wine has less calories than medium or sweet.
    I think if you can make a health choice after a big night out food wise your better than I am because once i'm drunk reason in regards to food go out the window!
    While out have the odd glass of water in between drinks and dance if you get the opportunity and reclaim some of those calories
    On the day you are going out I would suggest low calorie and carb options food wise as they will fill you up for longer and you will have a carb overload with the drinking you will be doing later in the day
  • hello_kyla
    Options
    Not much to add, but a couple drink suggestions:

Do you like Ceasar's? Vodka and Clamato juice are low calorie.

Also, don't drink tonic; get soda water instead. You can taste the alcohol better this way, but if you don't like that you can add either lime or even splenda.

If the diet soda/liquor is too much for you (I think it tastes terrible), I add a bit of liqueur (like Cherry Sour Puss - Diet Cherry Coke). It adds calories, but I still think it is better than using real soda.

As for the food, I like the idea of getting a kids meal. But you could also think about just getting a burger (or whatever the main part is) and leaving out the fries. The fries are terrible. And if you get the munchies the night before, try not to have the greasy breakfast (although, that is the best cure for a hangover).
  • PlayLikeACardinal
    Options
    Those are good drink recipes. I actually hate vodka so whenever people suggest it to me, I sub out gin. My favorites are Gin and Tonic with diet tonic water and Whiskey and diet 7-Up. One time my friends and I blended a ton of frozen fruit, diet tonic water, and gin together and it actually tasted really good (and had a ton of fruit in it).

As far as the greasy breakfast goes, this is the cure that I came up with last time I dieted (and it's an awesome breakfast on a regular day, too!): egg beaters with soy bacon (like morning star) crumbled in and laughing cow cheese, made with extra olive oil in the pan to help mellow the hangover. When I make it as a regular breakfast, I just use olive-oil spray instead. I can make it in the microwave, too, which is awesome.

And good point about the fries. When I'm drunk I have no filter to 'just eat three' and I end up eating the whole order which is horrible!
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    i have been there. I am still kinda there but am now a 33 year old party professional :) (my work requires a lot of networking, and outings, and staying up late)

so here it goes.
    1. vodka soda lime. all the time. You will get used to the bitter taste. the hangover is more mild also if you choose a better quality vodka.

soda water keeps you slightly hydrated and i find that the hangover is much better than from sugary drinks / other alcohols / just beer or wine

2. try to not be the drunkest girl at the party. Second drunkest is ok. this means that you should try and alternate with water. This will not only help you keep your top on, but will also fill you up / hydrate you. Ways to achieve this, get yourself a drinking buddy: if you are two, you are more likely to help eachother self restrain, and help one another make better drunk choices.

3. DANCE!!!! dont go out pubbing. that is soooooo boring. Go out where you can shake a tail feather and actually then having a drink in your hand at all times is annoying. dancing will get you thirsty, and you should try and drink soda water with lemon (still looks like a drink so you dont have to feel self conscious). dancing will burn calories.

4. before a night out, prepare yourself for post party eating. this is where a lot of ppl screw themselves over. I noted in the last 15 years of my partydom that when i was regularly binging after a night of heavy drinking i was in the worst shape of my life, and no amount of working out could outtrain the damage i was doing. if at all possible, have food at home. Plain white yogurt is a fantastik after drinking snack, it sobers you up, and helps lessen the morning hang over. have a sandwich at home, or some nachos and salsa. Post party greasy take out is like your calorie allowance for a day and a half.... so try to not do this regularly (aim for post party take out 3x a month). TRY to remember to drink water before bed. if you know you will have a late night, put a bottle of water by your bed and try to finish half before going to sleep.

5. the morning after.... a lot of ppl screw up their diets on a hangover eating lots and lots of crap. while brunching with extra bacon is occasionally totally wikked, the following are some things you can do to lessen your hangover. have sugar free ginger ale to wake up to. I find that chugging this upon wake up lessens the pain. then follow up with green tea. much better than coffee, the antioxidants truly help. as food: have berries - blueberries and raspberries work wonders with plain yogurt. This is food that will help you settle the stomach.

i understand where you are coming from and it is difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle while being in your 20s when everyone expects you to party. Now, I don't agree with the people who tell you that in order to be healthy you have to be a total boringhead, but if you are serious about your fitness, then you WILL have to make some sacrifices and some better choices.
    So ditch the beers, dance flirtatiously to get boys to buy you drinks, dont forget the water and buy yourself a cute outfit with all the money you are saving by drinking less!
  • hypergrl
    hypergrl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Question is Vodka a lower calorie liqour than rum...I don't know why but I don't like Vodka! So is my rum and diet cokes/sprites more sugary cause its made from sugar cane as opposed to potatoes? And I don't like the taste of gin at all or whisky...so should I switch to Vodka?
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Really I think you need to decide which is more important to you. There is nothing wrong with going out once and awhile, but you can't expect to live healthy and still drink and eat out a lot. Soda is bad for you regardless if it's diet or not. Eating a kids meal is still eating grease covered fast food.. Drinking a low cal beer, still add up!

I quit drinking and partying because I knew it was a big cause for my weigh gain. And yeah I miss going out with friends and getting smashed some nights! But have the energy able to actually go play sports, running, hiking etc was completely worth it. And I still allow myself to go out once and awhile.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    shes 22, let her live it out!!!!!

generally all hard liquor is pretty much the same. I think vodka is most low calorie.
    You shouldnt drink soda, sugar free or not. this is why i suggest soda water.

stick to one type of booze.
    and LEARN HOW TO BALANCE!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Most liquors are about the same. I was just checking on what I have on hand and my Smirnoff Vodka and Captain Morgan Tattoo are both 69 calories per oz. Capt. Morgan Spiced Rum was 60 calories. Wild Turkey American Honey (LOVE!!!!!) is 60 calories. Jose Cuervo also 69. Pinnacle Whipped Cream Vodka... again, 69.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Most liquors are about the same. I was just checking on what I have on hand and my Smirnoff Vodka and Captain Morgan Tattoo are both 69 calories per oz. Capt. Morgan Spiced Rum was 60 calories. Wild Turkey American Honey (LOVE!!!!!) is 60 calories. Jose Cuervo also 69. Pinnacle Whipped Cream Vodka... again, 69.
  • IngeborgB
    IngeborgB Posts: 27
    Options
    I am so in the same boat as you!

I am 22 and a university student, and a lot of my social life is based on alcohol consumption. I've managed to cut it down somewhat since I started this, but I find that when I don't drink I (obviously) get a lot more tired, can't keep up with my friends and so on. So it is can be hard to keep up with my social life without going dancing.

Oh, and in sweden, it is tradition that whenever an exam is done (about once a month) the entire class will party to celebrate it being over. Than includes LOTS of alcohol. And missing it usually includes having a harder time being part of the group and making friends at UNI. So it is not possible to give it up al together.

Plus, i kind of don't want to. I am in my early 20s, in UNI, this is when I am supposed to do all these things, do stupid stuff and call it experience and get it out of my system. It is fun.

So I could really use some advice on this. I will send you a friend request as well!
  • ashleynicole8912
    Options
    Just storp eating so much. Drinking has a lot of calories, so maybe cut back. I'm in college, and I used to party a lot. Bottom line, you cannot expect to loose weight and give into your drunchies. Drink only low cal drinks since you said you refruse to give up drinking. Stick to 55 or 65 for beer or mikes light or vodka shot. Or mixed drinks with diet coke. Be careful; drinking is probably the main reason why you have gained weight. It's not good for you.

Kind of harsh. don't you think? She's asking for advice, no to be put down!

I totally know how you feel! If you know you will be drinking that night, just make sure to work out extra that day! If you like juice, you could always sub a fruit juice for the soda. And dancing burns calories, so go somewhere that you can dance! Think ahead and plan out some healthy munchies for later. Good luck!
  • PlayLikeACardinal
    Options
    I spent a semester abroad in Norway--I TOTALLY get the Scandinavian party scene. VERY intense. Vorspiel, bars, and then nachspiel!