Rewards for Goals that are CHEAP

Options
On many posts I've noticed people mentioning their mini-goals and what they've planned as a reward for meeting them. I think that's a GREAT idea but I have 2 problems. 1) I am currently unemployed so I have NO money, and 2) I've always celebrated things with food - and I *do* have foodstamps so it's something I could reward myself with, but I think that's a bad habit. Any suggestions?

Replies

• sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    Maybe some food that is healthy that you cant usually afford e.g starfruit, blackberries, scallops etc.:smile:
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Do you have any gift certificates that you haven't used yet? Those can be rewards. Do you have any old clothes that you loved that you can wear anymore? Maybe a reward could be "10 pounds - try on those adorable white shorts" or something like that. I've used both of those and SOME food rewards, but like a skinny vanilla latte at Starbucks for a fairly low calorie, but celebratory treat. Good luck! :smile:
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Yeah, trying on your old clothes and seeing how loose they are, THAT is a GREAT reward, lol!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Yeah, trying on your old clothes and seeing how loose they are, THAT is a GREAT reward, lol!
    That's my reward! And when I need a new size I either find clothes on Ebay or Goodwill, I'm not going to spend lots of money of a size I'm not planning on staying in for a long time.

I do think that I will by 1-2 jeans when I hit a size 10, I've never been a 10.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    A candle, pair of earings, A cheap haircut, flip flops for the summer, body lotion.... so many things. Candle is my favorite
  • louell33
    louell33 Posts: 85
    Options
    I know the feeling. My treats are evenings were I can have a glass of wine and a bit of chocolate after a long soak in the bath - me time yey!! You can't buy that!
  • evenidomhnaill
    Options
    How about for every goal you put money in a tin and by the time you have reached goal you will have some money to do something nice either take a trip or buy new clothes. You could pamper yourself for an evening as a reward, face mask, fave movie etc
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A new lipstick or nail polish, and a DIY mani-pedi?

At home hair color? I've had good results with L'Oréal Couleur Experte.. that's the one with the highlighting kit included. Or if you have a local beauty school, they can do cuts and colors at big discounts.

Cute bra & panty set in your new smaller size? Victoria's Secrets can be pricey, but Target has some really pretty stuff.

For summer, JCPenney and Kohl's both have some wicked good sales going on in swimwear. Google for coupons. I found one online for $10 off $50 at 'Penney's and got two bikini tops, a bikini bottom (goes with both tops), a pair of shorts and a tank top for about $40!

Plan a Girl's Night In where you share a bottle or two of wine and give each other mini-makeovers, then take your own Glamour Shots style, or cute pinup style, pictures of each other. Or leave the girlfriends behind and have a significant other take the pictures. Guaranteed fun night if it starts that way. :wink:

If you want something like a tattoo as a final reward, check with your favorite local shops and see if they have any discounts for gift certificates. Sometimes they only have those around the holidays, but it doesn't hurt to check, and it's a way to bring the cost down.
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    Do you have any gift certificates that you haven't used yet? Those can be rewards. Do you have any old clothes that you loved that you can wear anymore? Maybe a reward could be "10 pounds - try on those adorable white shorts" or something like that. I've used both of those and SOME food rewards, but like a skinny vanilla latte at Starbucks for a fairly low calorie, but celebratory treat. Good luck! :smile:

A few weeks ago I had a temp job as a telemarketer selling these coupon books for various services at local stores. There's things like a free oil change & stuff for the car... But there's some certificates in there for free massages, free facial, etc. That's a GREAT idea! I can definitely use a day of pampering :D As for old clothes - I don't have any. In the last few years I've moved many, many times (homeless for a year) - and thus had to leave behind a ton of stuff, including anything that didn't fit. So all my clothes are big - my current size of 26/28. I do like the suggestion someone made of going to Goodwill for a few things tho!

Another question - how often do you reward yourself? I have 110 lbs to lose. So every 20? 25? 10? I don't want to reward myself toooo often, then it seems meaningless. But I don't want the goal to be so far away that I lose motivation either.
  • Melinda1987
    Options
    A new lipstick or nail polish, and a DIY mani-pedi?

At home hair color? I've had good results with L'Oréal Couleur Experte.. that's the one with the highlighting kit included. Or if you have a local beauty school, they can do cuts and colors at big discounts.

Cute bra & panty set in your new smaller size? Victoria's Secrets can be pricey, but Target has some really pretty stuff.

For summer, JCPenney and Kohl's both have some wicked good sales going on in swimwear. Google for coupons. I found one online for $10 off $50 at 'Penney's and got two bikini tops, a bikini bottom (goes with both tops), a pair of shorts and a tank top for about $40!

Plan a Girl's Night In where you share a bottle or two of wine and give each other mini-makeovers, then take your own Glamour Shots style, or cute pinup style, pictures of each other. Or leave the girlfriends behind and have a significant other take the pictures. Guaranteed fun night if it starts that way. :wink:

If you want something like a tattoo as a final reward, check with your favorite local shops and see if they have any discounts for gift certificates. Sometimes they only have those around the holidays, but it doesn't hurt to check, and it's a way to bring the cost down.

LOVE THESE! Thanks :)
  • kittybitz79
    kittybitz79 Posts: 213
    Options
    Some other cheap rewards...

Goodwill, Salvation Army and rummage sales are great places to get some really cheap clothes. Just got 3 shirts, dress pants and jeans for $10.

Watch for deals to your favorite restaurants. There are a lot of discount sites for local establishments. Recently got on Seize the Deal and got a $20 gift certificate for $10 to one of my favorites places. We also get a monthly circular that has deals like buy a pizza at $20 get $5 off.

Spend a night pampering yourself.
  • Melinda1987
    Options
    A candle, pair of earings, A cheap haircut, flip flops for the summer, body lotion.... so many things. Candle is my favorite

LOVE these too! I'm a total candle fanatic! Thanks :smile:
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Can you get Organic Coconut Oil with your food stamps? How about Corn Meal? Maybe Peppermint Tea? Try these at-home spa treatments, and enjoy!
    1) Facial scrub
    * 1 Mix 1/4 cup cornmeal with 1/4 cup water to form a paste and apply to cleansed skin on the face and neck, but staying away from the eye area. Scrub gently and rinse with warm water.
    * 2 Squeeze the juice of 1 orange with pulp into a bowl and add 4 tbsp. cornmeal. Mix into a paste and apply to freshly washed face and neck, but not to the eye area. Using fingertips, gently massage the scrub into the skin and rinse thoroughly with warm water.
    * 3 Combine 1 tbsp. cornmeal with 1 tbsp. honey, 2 tbsp. heavy cream and a few drops of lemon juice. Mix well to incorporate the cream and honey. Apply on clean face and neck, keeping away from the eyes. Gently scrub and then rinse.
    * 4 Measure 1/4 cup cornmeal into a bowl and add 1/4 cup each of honey and plain yogurt. Mix to form a smooth paste. Rub onto clean skin of the face and neck. Keep away from the eye area. Allow to remain on the skin for a few minutes before rinsing off.
    * 5 Steep and cool 1 cup chamomile tea. Stir in 1/4 cup cornmeal and 1 tsp. powdered milk to make a thin paste. Rub onto the face and neck after cleansing, but not onto the eye area. Let the mixture dry on the skin and then rinse off with warm water or a warm wash cloth.
    * 6 Blend 2 oz. fine cornmeal with 2 oz. fine oatmeal. Both can be ground in a food processor or coffee grinder. Add 1 tsp. each of honey and milk. Stir into a paste and apply with fingertips to the face and neck after cleansing. Do not apply to the eyes. Wash off with warm water.

Facial Mask: (google for strawberry mask, avocado mask, or honey mask)

Take a bath adding a few peppermint tea bags.

Moisturize your whole body with Coconut Oil (comes in a glass jar).
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    how often do you reward yourself? I have 110 lbs to lose. So every 20? 25? 10? I don't want to reward myself toooo often, then it seems meaningless. But I don't want the goal to be so far away that I lose motivation either.

If you make the rewards affordable, like the DIY Spa Day at home, you can afford to do them every five pounds.

Another idea for a treat is to go to the local grocery store that has a floral department and ask them if they have any flowers that they are tossing. They usually toss flowers every day. If they will give you some... You can add them to you bath, or if you only have a few, boil them, drain and retain the water... It becomes "floral water" that you can store in a spritzer in your refrigerator. You can spritz that on yourself after being outside. So refreshing and calming too!
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    My reward at ten pound marks is to have my kids take my picture in the same outfit I started with on Day 1. One of these days I will put them on here and wait for the compliments!
  • Melinda1987
    Options
    Keep these awesome ideas coming!! LOVING it!! :love:
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm not unemployed, but I'm very, very cheap. I'm also high-strung, which helps make rewards easier to come by.

One of my favorite rewards is a legit day off. No cleaning, no grocery store, no homework, nothing. To my efficiency-focused brain, watching a movie (sometimes two) WITHOUT guilt is a huge reward. Playing a video game, painting my nails, NAPPING!!

If you're into cosmetics, the Wet 'n Wild, Sinful Colors, and E.L.F. lines are both affordable.

Also, because I'm so cheap, I only eat at restaurants once every two weeks or so. At that point, Subway feels like a reward - seriously!