Higher fat

Hello. This is my first thread here so sorry if I appear to be a bit of a newbie. Weight wise on the scale I have reached my goal weight of 11.5-12st (male, >6ft). Years of poor eating habits and no exercise, I have very skinny arms and legs but a lot of fat in the stomach and chest area and wanting to get rid. I am currently doing a combination of cardio and strength training on a regular basis, but when it comes to macros I am just confused as hell. I've tried high protein, moderate carbs and low fat but I struggled and crashed every couple of days. Today I tried higher fat and lower carbohydrates, eating them from fruits and vegetables mainly and I feel much more satisfied (I didn't eat about 300 calories that I've pre logged). So based on 1800 daily calories the current macros I'm trying to work with are 90/135/100 (C/P/F). Would you recommend any tweaks in these? Anyone had any success with a higher fat diet?

Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    For someone your age and size, and with your goals, I think you need look no farther than a real weightlifting regimen to fix your body composition. Try any one of:

- Starting Strength (the original, probably still one of the best)
    - SL 5x5
    - Ice Cream Workout

Any one of these, including following their eating program, should enable you to pack on muscle (with some fat too, but you can deal with that later.)

Since your goal is to gain lean mass, you might as well ditch or reduce the cardio temporarily to make time for strength, and you can add it back in later. Or, if you have the time and commitment to do both, that would be awesome.

Osric
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Just starting out, you might just want to just focus on calorie deficit. You can worry about TYPE of diet, and specific macros later.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Just starting out, you might just want to just focus on calorie deficit. You can worry about TYPE of diet, and specific macros later.

He said he is at his weight goal (11.5-12st, 6' tall - that's 168 pounds for someone who's 6' tall, pretty awesome).

A calorie deficit is not what he needs.

Osric
  • NeonStrikeVi
    NeonStrikeVi Posts: 61 Member
    Thank you for the quick and informative replies. I'm going to take your advice and focus more on strength training and see how it goes!

Have a nice evening/day :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Lift heavy weights.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Most people who lower there carbs tend to add fats. I've been eating 70-75% fats for a few months now and I'm very happy with my health and weight.
  • patstar5
    patstar5 Posts: 7 Member
    I've been doing 70% fat 25% protein and 5% carbs.
    Though I usually don't use my fitness pal, I just discovered the "community" tab in the app today, lol
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Protein looks ok. I world strength train and eat less than 100g fat, more carbs and calories. I'll bet you can maintain/recomp at 2500+calories.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Just eat more, carbs or fats, your preference. I prefer and perform better with carbs.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    My advice would be to eat higher calories maybe 2000-2100 calories with 160-200 grams of protein. Along with this a heavy lifting program and cardio. Carbs and fat you can tweak later. Start with higher calories so when you do get leaner you have leaway for lower calories otherwise you will lose lean muscle mass with too high of a deficit.