Can you taste that?!?!

Options
Yesterday I was eating something that I don't normally eat anymore, I can't even remember what it was now, but as I ate it I realized that I could actually TASTE the gross preservatives and crap that they had added. It had this nasty chemical flavor and I recognized it distinctly. I guess that's a pretty big NSV for me, since I used to eat without even really tasting what it was I was eating. The more natural 'real' foods taste so much more delicious than any of the junk that's bad for me. Anybody else noticed this? I'm hoping that chocolate will start tasting chemically soon..... ;~)

Replies

• amyhollar
    amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    YES! I have been experiencing the same thing lately! I think it's great- force me to keep eating healthy if I stop liking the taste of crappy food! I can't STAND artificial sweeteners.
  • barbarajean3
    barbarajean3 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I used to eat out alot and now food from restaurants is always too heavy and greasy. P.S. chocolate will never taste bad:laugh:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    LOL. I have with canned tomatoes. They have such a metalic taste I stopped buying them. Restaurant food is killing me too. Why does everything have to have sooooooooooooo much salt! I mean really, they could all cut the salt in 1/2 and it would still be salty.
    I think it is so it numbs your tongue so you can't taste how crappy the food really is.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cheesecake, and after eating well for several months it started making me sick. And Fruit tastes so much better than candy now.
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    This happens to me too!
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I can tell immediately when something came from a can, but that's not new. I've started tasting the difference in culinary school and even more when I started working in a mostly scratch kitchen. I can taste the fake in everything. I'm not a fan of fake.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    YES! I thought I was crazy. I had a cupcake the other day and it tasted like PLASTIC, lol. Mind you, if I'd made it myself it would have been awesome, but then I would have had to eat TWELVE cupcakes, lol.

Some of the cheaper chocolate does taste 'funny', especially if you compare it to some of the more natural organic ones (which are a bit on the pricey side, so it makes them a nice treat).
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been wondering if others are experiencing that too! I've noticed that I'm getting so much more flavor from fruit and vegetables lately. Even the skin on a baked potato is really tasty to me now, without all the fatty stuff I used to eat on it. It's pretty awesome, isn't it? I will agree with earlier post - good chocolate will always be delicious! :happy:
  • EdieBird
    EdieBird Posts: 38
    Options
    I've noticed it, with soda and Cheetos. I never thought Cheetos would taste gross but GAG! So salty, and not at all cheesy, and just horrible! If I want cheese I'll just have a bit of REAL cheese. (maybe a wedge of Laughing Cow on some celery)

Sodas are all way too sweet now, and the bubbles give me hiccups anyway. LOL
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    White sugar. yuck. I can taste some chemical....dunno what it is but it tastes like bleach to me.
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been wondering if others are experiencing that too! I've noticed that I'm getting so much more flavor from fruit and vegetables lately. Even the skin on a baked potato is really tasty to me now, without all the fatty stuff I used to eat on it. It's pretty awesome, isn't it? I will agree with earlier post - good chocolate will always be delicious! :happy:

It IS pretty AWESOME!! I can definitely taste the difference between cheap chocolate and good chocolate. I've started to get to the point where, if I'm going to indulge, I figure it might as well taste spectacular instead of just ok. :~)
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    YES! I have been experiencing the same thing lately! I think it's great- force me to keep eating healthy if I stop liking the taste of crappy food! I can't STAND artificial sweeteners.

I'm with you on the artificial sweeteners. They're disgusting! I bought some Truvia but haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping it is much better, since it's a natural zero calorie sweetener. :~)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yep! I've noticed it most with potato chips. Tastes like salty crispy paper. *blech* I took a nibble of my son's chips-ahoy cookie. Molded sawdust with pretend chocolate chips. Disgusting.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    The sugar in bread makes me sick too. Why do they have to put so much sugar and salt in bread that is supposed to be good for you. I really don't feel like making that myself too.
  • sallycheese
    Options
    i had some shop bought chocolate sponge yesterday,normally i would have eaten nearly the whole cake,yesterday i managed a tiny slice before the sweetness of it made me feel sick. i can still enjoy chocolate but i can't stomach the same quantities that i did before