Put my heart and soul into losing weight, and stayed the same for 6 months. Time for a change!

Options
Hi! I had surgery last winter for an issue that had held me back from exercising for many years. By February, I was ready to make some major changes. I'd been eating organic, real food for about 2 years, but it hadn't changed my weight at all. Finally having health insurance allowed me to start physical therapy for my knees, and to join Weight Watchers. I worked out faithfully 3x a week and attended my weekly meetings. And I lost weight, 1.5lbs, then gained 2, then lost 4, then gained 1. I started at 368 and I've hit the "You've lost 10lbs!" mark I think 5 times! So I've been hovering around 160 for months and I'm tired of it. I didn't eat any of their bonus, weekly points, and used only about 10% of my activity points. I'm healthy besides my weight, blood work and heart are great, and I'm so much stronger and more energetic than I was before I started exercising. I run a household of 7, including full time caregiving of a live-in senior family member, work part time as a bus driver, and am very active in my church.
BUT I'M NOT LOSING WEIGHT! Ugh! So I'm here to work it from a different angle, started at a gym and I'm really motivated to be a big loser! So far in my first 2 weeks, the scale hasn't budged, but I'll keep working it!

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food? It doesn't matter what kind of foods you're eating, if you don't eat fewer calories than you burn, then you won't lose weight.
    If you haven't already, plug your numbers into MFP and begin eating whatever amount of calories it tells you.
  • flutistnorma
    flutistnorma Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I stopped logging food in my WW app and started logging in MFP.
  • flutistnorma
    flutistnorma Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A couple days I've gone over my daily calories, but only by 30 or 40. Most days I have a lot left over.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Busy Mumma! :] First of all, breathe. You'll work this out. The main thing here is you are trying and not giving up - this is a fantastic attitude so keep that up.

Have you worked out how many calories you should be eating? I ask because WW's don't use calories and instead rely on 'points'. I used to do WW's and after picking it apart with my personal trainer, we worked out I was only on 1100 per day. Yes you get your weekly bonus points and your activity points but I still think using a tool such as MFP is a lot more accurate. Input your details in to the app (I assume you've done that already) and you'll get your number.

You mention that you sometimes go over your calories by 30 or 40 but you are 'under' on other days. This won't effect your weight loss as you are most likely replacing those 'missed' calories with the 30/40 you are over. Try not to make a habit of being over if you can - try and make room for your food within your allowance. If you go over, not to worry - but it's generally a good idea to train yourself not to get to that point.

Now the most important thing of all - are you logging correctly? Are you weighing your food of using guess-work? This is probably one of the most common reasons for lack of weight loss so make sure your logging is tight! Also - know that organic food doesn't necessarily equal weight loss. Eat whatever you want at a deficit and you'll lose weight, you'll probably save yourself money that way too.

I hope you get to the bottom of this. Stick with MFP and we'll help you :]
  • peiotter
    peiotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sounds very frustrating. I read Dr Hyman's 10 day detox book and found it helpful for explaining why we do not lose weight because of the types of food we eat. He has several you tube videos, so you can get the gist if you do not want to invest in the book. Interesting book even for those of us who think there is nothing new under the sun. Good Luck and keep those cortisol levels down!