Stuck and it Doesn't Make Sense to Me :( Please help!

Options
Okay, so I haven't weighed in for a while because my situation is frustrating me and I'm very disappointed. When I started MFP a little over 3 weeks ago, my starting weight was 238. The first week, when I changed my lifestyle and started working out a minimum of five days a week and drank at least 9 8-oz glasses of water a day AND modified my diet to be around 1200 calories, I saw a change immediately. In the first week and change, I lost 10 pounds.

I am now working out hard (I'm talking 650-850 calories lost) 7 days a week (although I am taking it a little easier on Sundays.. .) And since that 10 pounds, my weight has not budged. I feel like I'm eating a decent amount of fruits and veggies, and I'm not cheating...so what the heck? What is the reward for this discipline? My food diary is public, and I wouldn't mind having some more friends to take a look at it. I need guidance!

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating back most of your workout calories and drinking all your water. If you're not eating enough calories your body will do a quick lose and then hold on to everything. Net calories should bet between 1150-1400 most days. For your weight, 1200 calories is NOT enough, especially if you're working out.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    There are weeks when I don't lose any weight at all either. Just keep at it. Sometimes I only lose 1 pound. My weight loss has been slow, but I have heard that when it comes off slowly it is more likely to stay off. Let that be your encouragement. That's what keeps ME going! Add me as a friend if you need extra support. :)
  • jskirch
    jskirch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Agree. You have to make sure that you are not eating to little calories working out that hard. Have you ever checked out shakeology from beachbody?? It help me get through my plateaus and worked great in my weight loss journey! Check out www.mybestbod.com
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I haven't weighed in for a while because my situation is frustrating me and I'm very disappointed. When I started MFP a little over 3 weeks ago, my starting weight was 238. The first week, when I changed my lifestyle and started working out a minimum of five days a week and drank at least 9 8-oz glasses of water a day AND modified my diet to be around 1200 calories, I saw a change immediately. In the first week and change, I lost 10 pounds.

I am now working out hard (I'm talking 650-850 calories lost) 7 days a week (although I am taking it a little easier on Sundays.. .) And since that 10 pounds, my weight has not budged. I feel like I'm eating a decent amount of fruits and veggies, and I'm not cheating...so what the heck? What is the reward for this discipline? My food diary is public, and I wouldn't mind having some more friends to take a look at it. I need guidance!

Thank you in advance!

Hard to comment without seeing your diary.
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Okay, I forgot something. I read an article that said you should be eating back some of your workout calories, so. I did start eating more, but I usually still end up 400-500 less with the extra calories I'm given.

For example, my daily goal number on MFP is 1200. Say I workout and lose 700 calories. I'll usually eat back 300 or so of those. Should I be eating more of them? I'm not sure what the sweet spot is. I figured being obese like I am, I could leave more of a deficit and be okay. Not true?
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Remember that when you start turning that fat into muscle, you won't lose the weight as fast because that muscle will weigh more than the fat!! You're doing great! I know how you feel though, i've only lost 5 lbs and I've been working out for the past 3 months, its hard not to get discouraged. Also, try changing up your workout routine if you're just doing the same thing everyday, that should help.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    The first week is the easiest.

You've lost 10 lbs in three weeks. Look at the big picture. That's outstanding.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    Sounds like a plateau

I have noticed a couple of things. Exercising 7 days a week does not give your body a chance to heal. Last time I worked out 12 days straight then had to stop because of injury after a couple of day I lost 2 pounds. Inflammation in the joints and muscles.

You maybe need to change things up by confusing your body, chose different foods, one day do more calories then the next. Eat your carbs early in the day. Don't eat after 6pm. Eat back some of those calories. 1200 calories isn't enough.

Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options

For example, my daily goal number on MFP is 1200. Say I workout and lose 700 calories. I'll usually eat back 300 or so of those. Should I be eating more of them? I'm not sure what the sweet spot is. I figured being obese like I am, I could leave more of a deficit and be okay. Not true?

This sounds fine. Actually just about perfect if you've set your goals correctly.

This takes time. Keep doing what you're doing. It will work. You didn't put it on overnight.....
  • LondonLoser
    Options
    Hey,

I haven't checked out your food diary but maybe it's more about what you eat rather than how many calories. Have you read '4-hour body' by Timothy Ferris? It's amazing and well worth a look. He's a guy that seems to have OCD (I'm not sure if it's official or not) but he def gets obsessed and researches things to an extraordinary end. He says a lot of interesting stuff but one key rule of weight loss (according to him) is that refined carbs are killers! He suggests that you should try to only eat things like lentils, beans etc for carb intake and avoid everything else. even wholegrain bread has added sugars in it that can ruin a perfectly good diet plan. check him out and good luck!
  • Hopeinanguish
    Options
    I don't know. I felt like I could get away with working out 7 days a week for two reasons:

1. I kind of need to. On the days I don't work out, I'm usually kind of hungry!
    2. I do take it easy on Sundays

I really love working out and feel so much better on days I do.
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to your NET calories. You should be eating at least 1200 NET and I would guess more, unless you sit and watch TV all day and have a truly sedentary lifestyle.

Here's a forum post by one of the founders that I find helpful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing?hl=700+day+not+losing
  • evenidomhnaill
    Options
    Hey I would say take measurements as the weeks you dont loose weight you might loose inches also I would up you water intake
    its recommended you drink half your body weight in ounces for me i'm at 164.5 lbs so I should be drinking roughly 82oz of water or 2.4 litres so that would be just over ten 8oz glasses of water for me
  • Hopeinanguish
    Options
    Okay. Upping my water I can and will do. Thanks!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If your weight loss stops - then it is time to re-evaluate what you're doing. As a rule, most people lose weight very easily in the first few weeks. Our bodies are in shock from the changes we've made. As our bodies get used to what we're doing - it'll start to slow down some.

First off, I haven't read all the messages but I would recommend eating back at least 3/4 of your exercise calories. The number MFP gives you already includes a deficit. If you're only eating 1200 calories and burning 700 calories through exercise you're only netting 500 calories. WAY, WAY, WAY too low for anyone. You want to make sure you are NETTING at least 1200 calories a day. When you look at your food diary it'll show you are more than 1200, but keep in mind that MFP shows you your total for the day, but you worked out.

Here's an example: 1200 (calories for the day) - 700 (calories burned) = 500 (net calories - how many you've actually consumed) + 700 (calories you eat back) = 1200 (which is the original number you were given).

I would give my body 1-2 days off a week. Our bodies NEED a day or two to heal and repair. I used to think I HAD to work out 7 days a week. Did this until I ended up with injuries from pushing my body too hard. You must allow yourself time to recover from what you're doing to it.

Make sure you're drinking 1/2 your body weight in water (for example: I weigh 145lbs, so I make sure I drink at least 75oz of water a day).
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    If your weight loss stops - then it is time to re-evaluate what you're doing. As a rule, most people lose weight very easily in the first few weeks. Our bodies are in shock from the changes we've made. As our bodies get used to what we're doing - it'll start to slow down some.

First off, I haven't read all the messages but I would recommend eating back at least 3/4 of your exercise calories. The number MFP gives you already includes a deficit. If you're only eating 1200 calories and burning 700 calories through exercise you're only netting 500 calories. WAY, WAY, WAY too low for anyone. You want to make sure you are NETTING at least 1200 calories a day. When you look at your food diary it'll show you are more than 1200, but keep in mind that MFP shows you your total for the day, but you worked out.

Here's an example: 1200 (calories for the day) - 700 (calories burned) = 500 (net calories - how many you've actually consumed) + 700 (calories you eat back) = 1200 (which is the original number you were given).

I would give my body 1-2 days off a week. Our bodies NEED a day or two to heal and repair. I used to think I HAD to work out 7 days a week. Did this until I ended up with injuries from pushing my body too hard. You must allow yourself time to recover from what you're doing to it.

Make sure you're drinking 1/2 your body weight in water (for example: I weigh 145lbs, so I make sure I drink at least 75oz of water a day).
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    Sorry for the double post. My computer is acting dumb again. :( Gr.
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many differing opinions. Confusing, huh!?! Well, what I've noticed during my own journey is that at the beginning of each month when I change up my exercise a bit I stop losing for about a week or 2 (muscles hold onto water when you work them differently) BUT then the scale starts going down again very quickly during the rest of the month.

Another thing that is working for me is not eating back my exercise calories. Like you, I'm obese and can have a larger deficit without a problem. As I get closer to goal I'll probably have to change that but for now it's working splendidly.

Good luck finding what works for you...it's different for everyone, I think, and it's a learning process. :flowerforyou:
  • Hopeinanguish
    Options
    Asmcriminal looked at my diary and helped me realize that I am eating far too many carbs. I will cut back on those and up my water and we will see what happens!

I really, really appreciate all the thoughts and everyone being so helpful. This community is so wonderful!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Firstly, the weight you lost in the first week would be mostly water, so it is totally normal to see a huge drop for a week or two, and than to stall for a couple of weeks. Secondly, weight loss is not linear. You will have fits and starts throughout your weightloss journey.