Need new ideas for breakfast? Please share

Options
I eat egg whites or egg beaters most mornings. Please share some healthy low carb breakfast ideas.

Replies

• cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    plain greek yogurt mixed with sugar free jello or fruit :)
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Have you been to Hungry Girl's website? She has a lot of great breakfast ideas. Lots of different ways to do your eggs, if you like them!

I have plain non fat greek yogurt with some fresh fruit and granola. It works out to about 200 calories, and the greek yogurt has a lot of protein.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    plain greek yogurt mixed with sugar free jello or fruit :)

Ooooh, jello, gotta try! lol
  • daintycake
    daintycake Posts: 23
    Options
    I make mini egg frittatas on Sundays to eat throughout the week. Super easy and filling!

Chop spinach and mushrooms, sautee in garlic, and portion into muffin pan. Beat eggs with a little bit of milk and pour into the muffin pans. Use a fork to combine everything together, salt and pepper on top, then bake for 30 minutes at 350.

I eat 1 every day as a mid morning snack but you could easily do 2 for breakfast. They are approx 100 calories each and super low carb.
  • onlinebs
    onlinebs Posts: 15
    Options
    I just started eating Greek Yogurt, and I love it. I haven't tried mixing in jello, but I'm going to give it a shot!
  • marrtini
    marrtini Posts: 75
    Options
    Have you tried:

berries or other fruit with yogurt?
    bacon and eggs?
    fruit or salsa and cottage cheese?
    hardboiled eggs?
    cheese and nuts?
    fritattas?
    scramled eggs with jicama and hashbrowns?

Just some low carb ideas, things my mom and I eat because she is diabetic, a little higher in fat, but mostly healthy fats,and it still follows the healthy, good, well balanced desire for breakfast ideas. You could also scramble some eggs onto a low carb slice of bread or low carb tortilla shell and make a breakfast wrap for a change in flavours, taste and texture.

Just some thoughts, hope that helps at least a little bit.

The Greek yogurt ideas are fabulous as well .. I am going to have to try them too! ;)
  • wwhite94
    wwhite94 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks dainty cake that sounds great i think i will try it. Im sure we could alter the veggies going it right?
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I make a crustless Quiche Lorraine about once a week and have a piece warmed up every morning. You can choose a recipe with either milk or cream, or a mixture. I hate dragging out all the stuff to make an omelet, so this gives me a high protein, low carb, almost convenience food to start my day.
  • annette79h
    annette79h Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    yep, Hungry Girl does some awesome breakfast ideas! I LOVE her egg mugs, so simple! Get a large mug (the egg expands) spray with pam, add eggbeaters, and whatever you want! (spinach, laughing cow cheese wedge, mushrooms, salsa, dill, chives, tomatoes, whatever) micro for a min. then stir, micro for another min (I think thats the times) and viola! you have an egg scramble that's super easy and depending on what you add to it, low fat/cal. Oatmeal is amazing for you, just dont add the cream and butter and sugar! I add craisins and almonds.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    2 servings of 1/4 egg whites (all whites egg beaters has less sodium), 1/2 slice Fat Free cheese, 1 packet weight control oatmeal, 1 slice 20 cal ham cooked and eaten with egg whites. 1 serving (60 cal) fruit. This breakfast has a whole serving of protein and the Low G-I carbs you need to get you going and feeling great until lunch. This is what I eat most mornings. Try to strive for protein for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A protein serving can be maxed out and equal 100 cals, no more than 3 grams of fat, and no less than 7 g protein..the higher the protein the better.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I make these ahead of time and freeze them - they're awesome! :)

Mini Ham and Egg Cups

Combine all ingredients and whisk together.

Line muffin tin with deli ham slices (be sure to spray pan first so the ham doesn't stick once it's cooked)

Bake them until they puff up nicely and are just barely set on top.

As soon as they're cool enough to handle, pop them out of the tin and eat! Or you can let cool completely to room temp and freeze and just reheat one at a time in the microwave. Store leftovers in the fridge.

Mini Breakfast Quiches/ Baked Ham and Egg Cups

4 eggs
    1 C egg substitute* (or an additional 4 whole eggs instead)
    3/4 C shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
    1/4 C shredded Parmesan cheese
    1/4 C cottage cheese
    5 oz frozen spinach, defrosted, water squeezed out and roughly chopped
    (that's half a standard frozen box of spinach)
    1/3 C roasted red peppers, diced (or make your own)
    1 oz finely diced ham, Canadian bacon, or crumbled bacon (about 1/4-1/3 C)
    1/4 C sliced green onions
    1/4 t kosher salt
    1/8 t black pepper
    1/2 t hot sauce
    foil muffin tin liners OR 12 slices ham

*1/4 egg substitute = 1 whole egg, so if you're using all eggs, or some eggs and some egg whites, you can adjust accordingly.

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350

In a bowl, combine all ingredients (except ham slices) and stir well. If using ham slices, spray muffin tin with non cook spray and place one piece of ham in each well to form a bowl.

If using foil muffin liners, spray the insides of the liners with non-stick spray.

Evenly divide egg mixture between the 12 muffin wells (about 1/4 C each), being careful to keep ingredients well dispersed. You want them to fill right up to the top.

Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. The tops should be puffed and just barely set on top. Eggs will sink after cooling.

Store them in an airtight container in the fridge, or freeze them. When reheating in the microwave, make sure to take off the foil liner! And if you're reheating from frozen, I try to take them out the night before so they can thaw in the fridge. Then when you microwave them, set them on a folded paper towel to drain excess moisture.

Makes 12.

Nutritional information for 1 mini-quiche (w/o ham): 83 Calories, 7.5 g Protein, 3 g fat, 2 Weight Watchers Points
  • Lissaannco
    Lissaannco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    We don't worry too much about carbs, but here's what we have for breakfast....it's about 30 carbs or so. We buy the Southwestern egg beaters (usually eat 2 servings), 1 serving of Potato's O'brien (with onions & peppers found in frozen section at store), 1 tbsp of ketchup, 1 turkey sausage patty and 1/2 of a Thomas' Light English Muffin with spray butter. It's very, very filling and is only about 235 calories and about 4 grams of fat! It's a nice big breakfast, we usually enjoy it on the weekends! We cook a whole bag of potatoes on Saturday and then eat the leftovers with breakfast on Sunday! Yummy yum! :happy:
  • iamacraftymama
    Options
    I like to eat Oat Bran. It is a warm cereal but I find that it keeps me going. You can put whatever berries you like or fruits. I try and eat my carbs earlier in the day so I work it out throughout the day. Also, I find that if I do not have any carbs in the morning I tend to get really ravenous for sweet stuff in the evening.
  • shufie
    shufie Posts: 11
    Options
    bump
  • Shineonme06
    Shineonme06 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thamks for the great ideas. I will definitely try some
  • daintycake
    daintycake Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks dainty cake that sounds great i think i will try it. Im sure we could alter the veggies going it right?

Absolutely, you can put anything you want in it. I just use spinach and mushrooms because that's my fave. The calories mostly come from the eggs so just add whatever veggies you want and enjoy. It only takes about 30 seconds in the microwave to reheat so it's SUPER easy in the morning the rest of the week. :)
  • sm1986
    sm1986 Posts: 10
    Options
    I make mini egg frittatas on Sundays to eat throughout the week. Super easy and filling!

Chop spinach and mushrooms, sautee in garlic, and portion into muffin pan. Beat eggs with a little bit of milk and pour into the muffin pans. Use a fork to combine everything together, salt and pepper on top, then bake for 30 minutes at 350.

I eat 1 every day as a mid morning snack but you could easily do 2 for breakfast. They are approx 100 calories each and super low carb.

How long do they keep in the fridge? I have just put these in the oven (sounded yummy)!!!
  • Cara34
    Cara34 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas! This morning I tried one of the egg mugs and it was great! very filling and more satisfying, tasty, and low cal than the bland granola bars I usually have!