I need advice

Options
I am about 85 pounds overweight. I desperately want/need to lose weight. I find myself having good intentions and then I get off track very easily. I have lost some weight in the past...once before a pregnancy and the other time just prior to a health issue (not related to weight). I work night shift at the hospital 3 nights per week, so I need to plan around that too. The girls I work with love to order out which poses another hurdle. Basically, I am asking for advice on how to get back on track and stay there. I really appreciate any advice. (I feel very defeated and upset with myself right now.)

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You've done it before and you can do it again. You just need to tell yourself that :)

You can take a packed lunch with you to work, have it all weighed out and logged. Take lot's of low calorie snacks with you to help you with energy or any cravings you might get. My handbag is like a larder lol, always have a snack bar on me and some nuts and things.

Try to set your weight loss to just 0.5lb loss at first to help you adjust back in to things. Then after a week or two switch it to 1lb loss if you are finding it all right. Good luck with your weight loss.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no one can make you do it but YOU.

nothing i say, other mfp folks say, co workers, friends, strangers- nothing. YOU.

If you want it bad enough, you'll do what needs to be done.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    no one can make you do it but YOU.

nothing i say, other mfp folks say, co workers, friends, strangers- nothing. YOU.

If you want it bad enough, you'll do what needs to be done.

This.

Also, eliminate all excuses from your vocabulary (i.e. "The girls I work with love to order out"). Just because they do it, doesn't mean you have to do it. Unless they're holding a gun to your head. But I have a feeling that might be against hospital policy. :wink:

• sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I had similar past and would do well then fall off the wagon, this time even with a cruise stuck in there I have lost since January (i started with the lose it app and switched so it doesn't go back that far)
    THIS time is different because i got my head in the game, I was MORBIDLY OBESE, now i'm down to obese class 1, this matters because my insurance was going to be higher. that got me.
    I log EVERY SINGLE DAY, it's a total habit, and as for your co-workers, you just have to ignore and move on, so what if they order out, look it up on mfp and yuckers you won't want that tiny thing for that 1000 calorie.
  • Andrealp55
    Andrealp55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I have lost quite a bit of weight recently by doing some easy things like switching out things like icecream for fruit popsicles, and taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Start easy so you can stay motivated, I have lost my motivation now. I am trying to get back on the wagon! I just started reading posts, etc. Before I had used this site for logging my calories and that was it. Now trying to get more into the "community" for motivation. Add me if you like!
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The number one thing that motivates me is knowing that other people are in the same exact position. We're all going through similar struggles but know that you can do this. Believe in yourself!

You also just have to figure out what works for you. I was on a low fat diet for awhile and it just wasn't working out for me. I was always hungry and I had cravings all the time which would lead to binges. But then I discovered the low carb high fat diet and everything changed for me. The fat helps satisfy me and keeps me full longer. I don't even get cravings anymore and I never overeat! Point is, you might have to try different things but once you find what works stick with it and it gets easier as you go :)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I started by logging faithfully and honestly. For me, that's the starting place--no "dieting", just awareness about what I eat and how and when andd why.

Then, after a couple of weeks, I started focusing on not going over my calorie limit--and "budgeting" for treats and social events. If I want to eat take out with the coworkers, I plan around that in the meals I eat the rest of the day.

Then after a couple more weeks, I focused on upping my exercise, and my nutritional balance--meeting my protein goals, staying under my fat and carb limits.

I think I lost 4 lbs that first 6 weeks--not impressive, but enough to tell me I was on the right path. And by focusing on one thing at a time, I wasn't overwhelmed--which sets me up for failure and disappointment .

Take it slow, don't beat yourself up, and just keep loggin'!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your days and stick to it. When you really want this, you do it and it will become second nature. You'll have that weight off in no time.
  • JeanMBK
    JeanMBK Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    The medical office I worked in previously always had food from reps brought in. I started bringing my own food, weighed and measured and that's what I ate. Yes, sometimes what was brought in looked and smelled really good, but I ate my own food. Eventually I no longer wanted what was brought in. Also, I had heard said many times, "pretend someone has sneezed/coughed all over that food!" Yep, I used that as a reason not to touch it. Today I work in a hospital where food is not allowed to be brought in by the reps. Works for me!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I came back to MFP when I wasn't mentally ready for a diet. I just tried to get myself to log every day, and ate at maintenance. Kept my diary private (still is) and didn't really interact. I felt sullen. Can't remember why at this point. But just the act of logging helped me make more nutritious food choices and my outlook started improving. Whenever times are tough I go back to maintenance without batting an eye. No guilt trips whatsoever. One day, a week, whatever it takes. In the past, I used to wait for the universe to line up precisely before beginning a diet, and then diet hard. But conditions have to be perfect to endure that level of misery. Now I have such a small deficit that I am not suffering for the cause. And every once in a while, when I'm up to it, I go a little hungry and eat under goal. Making slow and steady progress. Good luck in your journey :blush:
  • arianaberrios99
    Options
    You've done it before and you can do it again. You just need to tell yourself that :)

You can take a packed lunch with you to work, have it all weighed out and logged. Take lot's of low calorie snacks with you to help you with energy or any cravings you might get. My handbag is like a larder lol, always have a snack bar on me and some nuts and things.

Try to set your weight loss to just 0.5lb loss at first to help you adjust back in to things. Then after a week or two switch it to 1lb loss if you are finding it all right. Good luck with your weight loss.
    What this person said...you can do it! :)

• kennagif
    kennagif Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I will take all this great advice and put it to work. I knew I could count on your wisdom.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You've lost weight before so you know how the process works - there is no reason why you can't get there again. Try and adapt your plan to your lifestyle and make this as sustainable as you can. If that means logging the odd treat here and there, please do. You will get there :]

Best of luck!
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Pre-log your days and stick to it. When you really want this, you do it and it will become second nature. You'll have that weight off in no time.

spot on!!
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I think being organised is the key when on shifts. Make sure you prepare food in advance so there is no need to be hungry when your colleagues order out. You may not feel tempted if you have food to hand ..good luck keep on rocking ☺
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you going back and forth between sleeping days for a few days and sleeping nights for a few days? That can be hard on one's system. If there is no way around sticking to a sleep schedule, at least make sure that you prioritize getting enough sleep. :)