Does fat really weigh more than muscle?

Options
LISA921
LISA921 Posts: 22 Member
edited September 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Six weeks ago, I joined the ymca and really stepped up my fitness routine. I'm taking body pump (weight lifting), step aerobics, body combat, and boot camp classes. I try to go to 5 classes a week and I've been tracking my calories in here religiously. Since I began, I've put on 8 lbs! My clothes still fit, but it's discouraging to see my weight jump that much! Has anyone else had this happen? My husband thinks it's fat being replaced with muscle. Thoughts? I should add that prior to these classes, I was working out on my own at home...treadmill, Tone It Up videos with 5-8 lb dumb bells.

Replies

• irishgal25
    irishgal25 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Muscle weights more than fat! I'd have to say, that gaining 8lbs of muscle in 6 weeks would be really difficult. Could you be approaching your period or eating a lot of salt (water retention)?
  • LISA921
    Options
    I haven't really changed my eating habits...and I just had my period last weekend. It's so weird isn't it???
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Fat does not turn in to muscle and 1lb of fat weighs no more than 1lb of muscle. You don't gain muscle unless you are eating a surplus and are lifting heavy to create them.

You have changed routine and that causes the body to hold on to water to help repair the muscle. There is a good chart that explains it, I'll try and find it and copy it in to here for you. Don't worry you should have a big drop in weight once your body lets go of the water :)
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Somewhere, a chemistry and biology teacher are both banging their heads on their desks.

Fat is less dense than muscle.
    Fat does not "turn into" muscle any more than muscle turns into fat, or bones turn into skin cells.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »

Which means that for any given volume, the muscle weighs more...

• louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A pound Is a pound, so in that sense they weigh the same
    Ie a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. Muscle is denser than fat and so tskes up less space
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    People are being a dense when they compare a pound of something with a pound of something else and say but hey they weigh the same. Of course they weigh the same!

Hey look a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead but does that mean feathers and lead weigh the same? I think not! You show the difference by measuring volume against weight.

When measure two items with same volume, they will weigh differently.
    When you measure two items by weight, they will have different volumes.

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Open your diary please. I suspect you are eating too much OP. And yes there's more water retention when menstruating and just prior to it.
  • BenJDarling
    BenJDarling Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat.
  • LISA921
    Options
    Sorry I had that backwards in the subject line. What I meant was "is muscle more dense than fat"? I realize that a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat (or feathers or lead). My question was has anyone else experienced a noticeable weight gain when they change up the intensity of their workouts. The weight lifting class I am doing is pretty intense (lots of squats, lunges, clean presses, etc with bar bell weights).
  • LISA921
    Options
    Fat does not turn in to muscle and 1lb of fat weighs no more than 1lb of muscle. You don't gain muscle unless you are eating a surplus and are lifting heavy to create them.

You have changed routine and that causes the body to hold on to water to help repair the muscle. There is a good chart that explains it, I'll try and find it and copy it in to here for you. Don't worry you should have a big drop in weight once your body lets go of the water :)

Thank you! Sorry I worded my question badly haha! Yes if you could find that chart, that would be great :)
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I gained 5 lbs when I started insanity ...it was just water retention to help repair my muscles. As long as you're weighing your food, keep at it. Your body will adjust and the weight will go down. Also hormone fluctuations can lead to temp weight gain especially during your period.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    You've started a new more intense regimen so your body is retaining water . it is normal. Those pounds will come off once your body adjusts.
    Your not gaining muscle if your eating at a deficit . it just doesn't work like that.
  • LISA921
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    You've started a new more intense regimen so your body is retaining water . it is normal. Those pounds will come off once your body adjusts.
    Your not gaining muscle if your eating at a deficit . it just doesn't work like that.

Thanks! I'm eating 1200/day before exercise and eating most (if not all) of my exercise calories back.
  • LISA921
    Options
    maasha81 wrote: »
    I gained 5 lbs when I started insanity ...it was just water retention to help repair my muscles. As long as you're weighing your food, keep at it. Your body will adjust and the weight will go down. Also hormone fluctuations can lead to temp weight gain especially during your period.

Thanks! I never knew water retention helps repair muscles. I have never felt better and I have a ton of energy! Just discouraging to see the lbs creep up, but now that I have a better understanding, it makes sense.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Somewhere, a chemistry and biology teacher are both banging their heads on their desks.

Fat does not "turn into" muscle any more than muscle turns into fat, or bones turn into skin cells.

I'm joining those teachers after reading some of the other responses lol
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love when the "1 pound = 1 pound" people come in and thrash about. So funny!

OP, I agree with most of the respondents here. According to the info you've presented, you're doing it right. Trust the process.
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Somewhere a reading comprehension teacher is banging her head on the desk ...

The way I read the original post, she said "My husband thinks it's fat being replaced with muscle." That's not the same as fat turning into muscle.
  • LISA921
    Options

The way I read the original post, she said "My husband thinks it's fat being replaced with muscle." That's not the same as fat turning into muscle.

Thanks for backing me up!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Well, fat isn't being replaced with muscle in a woman who eats at a caloric deficit and not doing a heavy lifting program. There is a difference in existing tissue holding more water and the creation of new tissue to replace any fat burned off.