Sleep apnea, have it or had it

Options
Anyone's experience w developing and hopefully, getting rid of weight induced sleep apnea? Will check back in tonight w my own story. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Have it. I've gone off all meds from weight loss but I stay on my CPAP machine. Because I am noticeably more alert when I use it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    Have it. Hoping weight loss will get me off CPAP, so tent camping again becomes more manageable, among other things. But, nearly 40 of roughly 60 pounds gone, I still have sleep apnea. Fewer incidents nightly as measured by my CPAP, I think. Still hoping for further improvement. There are some specific exercises out there in web-land that show modest success in research results (after 3 months of consistent practice - yikes!); I may try that if the weight loss doesn't do it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have it. It has gotten much much better since losing weight. I only use my CPAP when I have stuffy sinuses now.
  • browneyes684
    browneyes684 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it just started Cpap, still very tired. Does anyone have any tips to help with weight loss. I am so tired sometimes I don't feel like cooking and don't have time to find something healthy to eat.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Had sleep apnea. Since losing weight I've stopped snoring altogether, and the sleep apnea is gone, too.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed last fall & got CPAP. Have lost about 60 since then but still have it. Hopefully another 40 will make a diff.
  • alsarve
    alsarve Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed 2 yrs after I had slowly went from 160 to 256 over 5 yrs. Got a cpap but couldn't use it cuz it gave me panic attacks. Got so bad I would almost have a panic attack if a gust of wind hit me in the face. I am down to 237 and the bf can already notice a difference. I am SO hoping that weight loss and exercise will eventually get rid of most of the symptoms. It really is a hell of a thing. Staying on Claritin and nasacort regularly has helped alot. I don't fall asleep every time I stop moving now lol. Funny but not!
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If the symptoms are present only after your weight gain, then there's a pretty good chance losing weight will also affect the symptoms. Good luck!
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    I had it, I had always snored my whole life and then diagnosed Sleep Apnea in 2006 when my weight was just over 300 lbs, pretty sure I had had it for a few years before that. I used a CPAP for around 5 1/2 years. In 2011 at 329 lbs I decided to lose weight... roughly 55 lbs later I was able to stop using CPAP and 100 lbs after that I don't even snore.

Losing all that weight was really just one day after another using MFP, sticking to my calorie goal and getting in some exercise because I wanted to be fit as well as a healthy weight. I've been maintaining my 155 lb loss for over a year now.
  • alsarve
    alsarve Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congrats phoenix rising...and protranser, I really do hope I can kick it to the curb along with the extra weight!
  • pjrisner
    pjrisner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Been on cpap for 7 yrs, after losing 56 lbs they were able to reduce air flow pressure. Have another 40 lbs to go ; doctor will do another sleep study then. Time will tell.
  • tpereira333
    tpereira333 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I couldnt sleep more than 3 hours at a time, now I can sleep half the day away... lost 84 lbs so far... my sleep was better after losing 50
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I was only sleeping 1.5 hrs at a time and been on CPAP for 1.5 years. Since April- strated losing weight down 55 lbs. I have seen sleep improve can sleep for 4 hrs in a row now. Less tired - a bonus since I do a lot of driving for my job. Been known to pull over and sleep for 20-30 minutes to stay safe.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I have sleep apnea and have used a cpap for over a year now. I love it except when I travel and have one more thing to pack. I think it has been a great aid in weight loss. I have more energy to exercise and mental strength to resist over eating with adequate sleep.
  • FabnFit4Health
    FabnFit4Health Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just diagnosed with sleep apnea but I'm sure I've had it a few years. I need to lose weight. Hoping it will help me get my life and health back. I feel awful during the day