Not seeing weight loss results

I've been tracking/logging my food every day, walking about 3 miles 3-4 times a week, using my fitbit to track steps, but I am not seeing any weight loss or inches lost. I don't eat very clean and I do eat chips/cookies but still track them. Do I need to totally cut out the junk food and not drink diet soda? My stomach looks a little flatter and toned but it's probably just be in my head. Grr. I don't know what else to do. Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Do you use a food scale for most of your food?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Try taking your measurement. It's entirely possible to lose fat but not weight, especially if you just started a new exercise routine.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    How long have you been doing this?
    Are you weighing your food?
  • cryshot7
    cryshot7 Posts: 4 Member
    Yes I have a food scale that I use every time I eat and I have been doing this for about 3 weeks now.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Try taking your measurement. It's entirely possible to lose fat but not weight, especially if you just started a new exercise routine.
    My stomach looks a little flatter and toned but it's probably just be in my head.

Measurements are more useful than the scale, IMO. You could totally relax your gut and try taking profile pictures over time, that may help. The food particulars don't matter much for the basics, don't worry about it.

Your TDEE may be set too high, and you may be eating back too many exercise calories (MFP does "vanity sizing").

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Open your diary so we can see your logging.
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    If the diet coke has zero calories, drink however much you want, it's just bad for your teeth. Eat all the junk food you want, if it fits into your calorie goal. There is absolutely no need to eat clean when it comes to weight loss if weight loss is all you want. For your health however, do eat some nutritional food as well.
    Other than water weight, in case you are doing a lot of exercise (not just walking) you might also be building muscle, that is possible (if difficult) even in a calorie deficit. Measure yourself, say, the hips, the waist, maybe the thighs. You didn't gain all the extra weight in a few weeks, you won't lose it in a few weeks. Be honest with your tracking and you will lose weight.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited September 2015
    siluridae wrote: »
    If the diet coke has zero calories, drink however much you want, it's just bad for your teeth. Eat all the junk food you want, if it fits into your calorie goal. There is absolutely no need to eat clean when it comes to weight loss if weight loss is all you want. For your health however, do eat some nutritional food as well.
    Other than water weight, in case you are doing a lot of exercise (not just walking) you might also be building muscle, that is possible (if difficult) even in a calorie deficit. Measure yourself, say, the hips, the waist, maybe the thighs. You didn't gain all the extra weight in a few weeks, you won't lose it in a few weeks. Be honest with your tracking and you will lose weight.

Well if she's losing no weight and losing no inches... that'd infer that she's losing fat and building muscle at the same rate, no?

She's probably not building muscle.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Three weeks is not long enough to see significant change. 1lb per week is the recommended weight loss rate. 2lb is very aggressive and is usually unhealthy and difficult to maintain.

Keep at it! :)
  • Verivus
    Verivus Posts: 16 Member
    If you're not losing any weight then either your fat/muscle ratio is changing or you're eating too much. Keep track of your measurements and don't eat back exercise calories from walking.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    The good news is, you don't have to cut out your cookies and junk food! :]
    If you log them and you are still coming under or at your calorie deficit for the day, you're fine. That being said - Make sure you are correctly weighing every thing. I know it sounds a little obsessive but even if you spend a week thoroughly tightening up your logging/weighing, you may surprise yourself. Portion control was a huge factor for my lack of weight loss a few years ago - as soon as I addressed and corrected that, I lost weight. I hope this helps you and I hope you see that well deserved progress soon!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. If you eat less than that, you will lose weight.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

^This. Read the weight-loss flow chart:
    nnnaq5rggu08.jpg