Gaining muscle/leaning out

Options
Okay so in the past I've been a cardio bunny, I love running and movements that get my heart pumping. Because of this I have very noticeably strong calves. but that is it. I'm strong but I want that to show throughout my body. I've never been into weight training simply because I felt out of my element and didn't know what to do, and I would love some advice. literally any thing will help cause I often feel like I'm wasting my time in the weight room. I don't want to be bulky, just lean and toned. how do I achieve that? also, I want to do cardio and weight training together. I have some fat to lose but I also want to be getting stronger in the mean time. I don't know if I am supposed to lose a bunch of fat then focus on muscle but I don't want to do that. I was thinking of working on both equally, then when I'd lost a good amount of weight and reached my goal, focus mainly on weights. but how do I do this without knowing what I should be doing?

Replies

• AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This thread is so full of awesome, I get a little over-excited every time I go back to it: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

I was a cardio bunny too but have gone completely over to weight training. I'm sure more experienced members will be along shortly (or they are always happy to help in that above thread) but for a good starting point look into Stronglifts 5x5, Strong Curves or New Rules of Lifting For Women.
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    As a 62 year old weight lifting woman I can absolutely attest to you that you will not "bulk up". You will tone, you will get sleek, strong and fit, you will increase bone and muscle mass, and you will lose weight until you are where you should be, but you will not turn into a hulk. Get in that gym and lift to your hearts content!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Bulky takes a LOT of work and eating in a surplus. Look into a progressive lifting program, such as SL 5x5, eat at a moderate deficit (250), work your way from there.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    When I was first introduced to exercise, I stuck with the treadmills at the gym and burnt off a nice amount of calories 3 times a week. This was fine - and definitely a positive step! But it got to a point where I was losing weight but had absolutely no definition to me.. This is where those lovely weights come in to play.

There are too many women who stick with cardio because they fear 'bulking up'. Total myth. Lifting helps you burn fat and get lean and strong too. If you are a member of a gym, have a chat with the staff there and they should be able to recommend a trainer who has expertise where this concerned. I promise you won't regret it! And your body will thank you for it too ;)!
  • mrsf15h
    mrsf15h Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Les Mills Bodypump would suit you. It's a bit of both. Great strength training that really gets your heart racing. Have a look on YouTube :)