Tonsillectomy ruining my groove?

Options
Hey there! I hope all is well.

Yesterday I had a tonsillectomy, weird for a 22 year old, I know. I must say, I am in a lot of pain and my doctor only gave me Tylenol. I'm no druggy, but other adults that I know that have received this surgery were on Vicodin or something a bit stronger than Tylenol. :| As you can imagine, this pain is hindering me from eating. Everyone was jealous that I could eat ice cream all day but I was still in able to reach my goal of 1200. (I opened my diary for your reference.) Then last night, I have no idea what possessed me, but I decided to take a look in my mouth....I have regretted every second. I have nightmares about it lol. Now I don't want to open my mouth for anything. I haven't said a word since last night (thankfully I know sign language and can text) and I don't want anything touching my throat including food. With all of that being said, I have a good two weeks to go before I am healed and I don't want my body to go into starvation mode and do the reverse effect of what I'm trying to accomplish. My starting weight was 176 and I want to get down to 120. Yesterday when I went in for surgery, they weighed me and I was 168. When I got home from surgery that very same day, I was 174! I figured it was just water retention due to the fact that every time I went to the restroom, I would drop a pound or two. Has anyone else had a tonsillectomy in your adult life? I would love to hear your experience. How much weight did you lose because of it? Thanks all!

Replies

• karenrn799
    karenrn799 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had mine out a year ago at 46! Worst surgery of my life ! I had liquid percadan for pain Tylenol is not enough. Drink drink drink lots of fluids ice pops. Don't worry about diet right now. Keep the throat moist so it doesn't dry out. I lost a few pounds from surgery but I ate lots of sugar pops and soup and ice cream. It took 12 days for me to feel human again. Rest. The reason you gained when u came home was the fluids they gave you in the hospital. Also after surgery I was given decade for inflammation which is a steroid . Don't worry right now about your weight. You need to heal. You won't go into starvation mode. Jello is good ice cream. Italian ice. Chicken and beef broth. Don't try to eat cause you don't want those scabs to fall off to soon just keep them moist! Hope u feel better !
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Did they give you Tylenol or Tylenol 3? Tylenol 3 is actually Tylenol with codeine.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I made my husband loads of vegetable pureees, things like pureed carrots with fresh herbs, pureed peas, etc. With these, broth, ice pops, and frozen fruit pops, he was able to recover. I think the nutrient rich veggies really helped him. I know it hurts so much to swallow, but you really need to continue to practice it. He had to have physical therapy to learn to swallow again, and he was 26 when he had his surgery done. You will recover, just concentrate on resting and eating and worry about weight loss in a few weeks!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat cold /frozen foods (put soup in the fridge or put it through a smoothie with ice for example) to bring the swelling down.
    The weight loss will happen. For now, focus on a full recovery.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Make smoothies? I understand. The first time I got tonsillitis I was HORRIFIED by how my mouth looks, so I can only imagine after a tonsillectomy. You really need to make sure you're getting the proper nutrients though.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,619 Member
    Options
    I had mine out when I was 19. I remember it was very painful. Back then, (I'm 70 now) they kept me in the hospital about 2 days after surgery. They gave me morphine for pain and kept an ice bag on my neck and upper throat. You might try the ice bag - it sooths the whole area. I recovered after about 2 weeks and my general health improved quite a bit. You got good advice about food in this thread by the way. Wishing you a speedy recovery and good health to come.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Had mine out at 16. I was given two bottles of liquid percacet. And a bottle of oxycotton. Worse pain in my life. And that's when I found out vicodin oxy and percacet really don't do much for me.
    Cool soft foods. Fruits and such. Chicken if you shred it. If you get on pain meds they can alter your taste buds so dont eat things you really love.
    I hated eating because it hurt and everything tasted like *kitten* so I ended up losing 20lbs.
  • chelef
    chelef Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I made my husband loads of vegetable pureees, things like pureed carrots with fresh herbs, pureed peas, etc. With these, broth, ice pops, and frozen fruit pops, he was able to recover. I think the nutrient rich veggies really helped him. I know it hurts so much to swallow, but you really need to continue to practice it. He had to have physical therapy to learn to swallow again, and he was 26 when he had his surgery done. You will recover, just concentrate on resting and eating and worry about weight loss in a few weeks!

Good idea. This is a great opportunity for me to start juicing and pureeing some healthy foods. I really hope I won't need physical therapy. Glad your husband recovered well.
  • chelef
    chelef Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had mine out when I was 19. I remember it was very painful. Back then, (I'm 70 now) they kept me in the hospital about 2 days after surgery. They gave me morphine for pain and kept an ice bag on my neck and upper throat. You might try the ice bag - it sooths the whole area. I recovered after about 2 weeks and my general health improved quite a bit. You got good advice about food in this thread by the way. Wishing you a speedy recovery and good health to come.

Thank you! They sent me home with the neck ice bag as well. It seemed to smooth the area quite a bit. Thanks for the advice. By the way, I only hope to look like you when I reach 70 :)
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,619 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that pic was taken when I was 67. It's exercise and healthy eating that should get any credit. Glad your using an ice bag. I know you will make a great recovery.