College, 12 hours of classes a day... what do I eat in a sch

Options
Sooo I fell off the diet wagon for a bit, but just moved back to NYC and picked myself up starting a few days ago. Anywho, I've had the last few days off, but I start my summer courses tomorrow, and I just don't know how/what to eat around this ridiculous schedule. Here's my schedule for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday:

Class 1: 8:30 - 11:05

--25 minute break--

Class 2: 11:30 - 2:05

--25 minute break--

Class 3: 2:30 - 5:05

--55 minute break--

Class 4: 6:00 - 8:35

Ideally, I don't want to eat past 8 PM, so I'm going to have to eat my last mean during the 55 minute break from 5:05 - 6. Breakfast, obviously should be before my 8:30 class, which is fine. That leaves 2 25-minute breaks to have small daytime meals.

So.. I just don't know what to eat. I definitely don't have enough time to go to my apartment between classes, and it would be silly to leave campus and run to a restaurant during either of the 25-minute breaks. My school has a cafeteria, but it's pretty basic during the summer. The school doesn't have a refrigerator I can use, and I don't feel comfortable carting lunches around during the day regardless haha.

I've been having a SlimFast during the morning lately, so I suppose that could be a good option for my first meal.

For my second and third meals... I don't know what I could find or bring with me that would be at all balanced. I mean, I can certainly bring granola and grab some fruit or something in the caf, but will that be food-y enough? haha

My dinner break, I'd be more open to having something more sizable considering I have nearly an hour off. What are some good dinner options I could find in a school cafeteria? Would like, a deli sandwich be a good choice? Salad? I don't know, but I don't want to be eating the same thing every day... lol.

So yeah, I guess I'm just looking for advice. I'm very Type A-Capricorny, having things like this unplanned drives me absolutely insane. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i really like the kellogs fiber bars the chocolate chip ones.they are really good and they are like 120 calories.perfect for me inbetween classes
  • nalopez
    nalopez Posts: 39
    Options
    Really, I just want a tad of your organizational skills. I'm the girl who looks up her class times the night before.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    make a sandwich or a wrap to bring with you
    100 calorie pack snacks are always good as well
    you can bring fruits, veggies & dip, crackers w/ cheese etc
    all can easily be brought to school with you.
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    So I have a similar schedule, but I'm too cheap to buy food on campus, and bring stuff from home. I pack my lunch box with a banana, orange, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and salad (in container shown below). Then I keep an apple and a bag of nuts in my purse. So that probably doesn't help you at all. :D
    If I wasn't cheap, I would probably buy smoothies with fruit/veggies/protein powder.
    rbk--salad-blaster-bowl-2009-de-15838102.jpg
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My go to snack during the day is Fiber One Oats & Caramel bar. It is 140 calories and fills me up so I am not feeling the need to snack all day. And it is yummy! I plan out everything so I know how you feel!

Also, what I would do about your dinner is take a look at exactly what they have at the cafeteria and start plugging some stuff into the computer to check the calories and stuff. This might help you plan out what you can eat from there and then you will have a selction to choose from for the nights you are there. :o)
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sorry posted twice! :o)
  • charlottebronte
    Options
    Your summer class schedule looks like my fall class schedule--but I am the instructor. I am thinking the same way you are: what will I eat??? What about keeping a little cooler in your car, especially for that 55 min break. You could pack some meat and cheese, bread or crackers if you eat those carbs, and fruit...some baked chicken and veggies...put something hot in a thermos--maybe meatballs or chili-- or something cold like chicken salad or tuna...maybe some hard boiled eggs...you will need something substantial to get you through that night class. All the best to you!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would pack as many low cal snacks as you can Cut up veggies, granola with fruit and nuts, whole wheat crackers with a wedgeor two of laughing cow cheese or peanutbutter, apple, banana, pear, orange and lots of water, so your not tempted to eat chips and stuff from the vending machine or caf.
    You can have a deli sand. just make sure you are light on the meat and cheese and lots of veggies. They should have something healthy in the caf. Meat, vegetables. Just watch portion size and stay away form the burgers,fries and junk food counter.
    If your in college your a smart kid. You know what to do. It just takes will power.
  • JazzyJay2012
    Options
    I usually pack a lunch as well with just snacks that don't necessarily have to be refridgerated. In the morning I will have a breakfast before class, then I will either take a granola bar or some almonds or something for a snack. For lunch, I often just make myself a wrap and I've bought one of the containers that has the cold pack made into it, so I don't have to worry about it messing up. Taking a bottle of water is also something that I have to do because I find that often if I don't, I'm more tempted to buy a coke or something like that, which is full of sugar and empty calories.
  • Lefriedline
    Lefriedline Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue this summer with summer classes. I agree I don't want to bring a lunchbag with a full on lunch or anything and the vending machine really isn't an option! I usually bring 1-1.5 ounces of almonds with me for a morning snack (very filling and very good for you). During my second break, I tend to either grab a slim fast as you said or I run down to the gas station real quick and get some veggie sticks or fruit. For the bigger meal, I would try to grab a salad somewhere, just make sure you check the nutrition guides! I don't know how places can make a salad unhealthy, but they sure manage it!
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I would eat a larger breakfast before your day begins. You're probably home and can whip up egg whites or oatmeal and fruit, etc?

Your cafeteria: Do they atleast have a salad bar.. fresh fruit? Do you have time to get to your car inbetween classes? If so, you could pack a day's wort of food and not have to cart it around. :) It would keep cool, etc. You could pack wraps, salads, protein drinks, etc. Veggies and hummus would work as snacks between meals. Greek yogurt and fruit. Maybe use a Slimfast, or other nutritionally fortified drink, for your lunch, as it's easy to carry and toss

The 100 calorie packs are good ideas, but you have to check sodium, etc. Lots of pre-packaged food have preservatives, etc. in them that you don't want to eat too much of, and you want to eat stuff that meets your body's nutritional needs not just fill your calorie goal. The 100 calories packs of nuts would do both.

Hope this helps. Good luck in school!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    One snack I like- and take a small cooler with blue ice to keep it cold- is light string cheese. 50-60 calories.
    Also rice cakes and Laughing Cow Light Cheese wedges ( French Onion is my fav)- they are quick, easy and satisfying in between snacks, as well as Fiber /protein bars- However- let me warn you- excess protein causes gas...not so cool in a classroom setting ya know.....

Smoothies are good too- can mix them up in the AM and fill up a portable drink box- I use unsweetened Almond Milk and Carnation Instant Breakfast- if I want the milkshakey consistency, I use 6 oz. of milk instead of the full 8. Keeps me going till lunch.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I would eat a large breakfast and then just eat a large meal when I got home. That's just my opinion.

Just to let you know, in case you didn't know, WHEN you eat and the size of the meal doesn't matter. So don't think you can't or shouldn't eat after 8. There is nothing wrong with it. Also, if you don't feel like eating breakfast, then don't.

Eat when it's more convenient for you.
  • fearlessly
    fearlessly Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Whoo, so many answers so soon! haha

Because I go to school in NYC, I don't have a car I can run to. And because I'm taking four classes in a row every day, I really just don't have enough room to carry a lunch bag around on top of all my books, notebooks, and gym bag.

It sounds like the best choice would be to have something snack-y for the smaller two breaks. I like the almond and 100-calorie pack ideas, maybe granola bars. That plus fruit won't be too bad, I can still kind of mix it around all day. I guess I should do a slightly larger dinner than I was planning... which is OK, because I go to the gym at night once I'm done with my classes anyways.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I love large meals at night. Nothing like going to bed feeling full. You'll also find that your body will largely adapt the signals that tell you you're hungry to cater to your chosen meal timing and frequency.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I have a crazy class schedule like this when I'm in school too, except I live 2 hours from my campus so my days are more like 16 hours to get to and from as well. I pack a cooler and keep it in my car so I can go grab food between classes. I'll eat a scrambled egg sandwich (Usually Egg Beaters, whole wheat bread, and fat free mayo) or a granola bar on the way to school and wash it down with a juice or protein shake. For my breaks, I'll have fruit or granola bar or protein bar for morning break, sandwich or salad for my lunch, veggies and dip or one of those tuna lunch kits for my afternoon break, another snack like thing I can eat while driving on the way home (like the fruit, veggies, or bars), and then dinner with my family when I get home. Yes, I do eat late at night. I'm studying exercise science and nutrition and I've yet to see any research supporting not eating at night to lose more weight. In fact, the research I've seen shows that going too long between meals (like stopping eating at 7pm and not eating again until 7am) can increase cortisol levels which causes a breakdown of muscle and storage of body fat. So, if I'm lacking in calories for the day, I've been known to get up in the middle of the night for a snack to decrease my cortisol levels. It's a trick I learned when I was body building. :wink: I also use my longer breaks between classes to head over to the campus gym to get my workouts in, too.
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    If full on lunch packing won't work, all of the ideas for fresh fruit/power bars/fresh veggies are great. I cart nugo bars and fresh apples around to work/school. I take with me on my all day saturday class some form of Dr. McDougall instant soup/noodles, supplemented with fresh fruit/veggies. Not the best, but I can score a micro or boiling water from the cafeteria for free and I'm carting so many materials to class, I don't want to take much lunch with me either. The vegan lentil couscous is decent and filling. If I remember right, it's also more than 10g protein. That way, if you see something healthy in the cafeteria that sounds better (for me there's rarely healthy stuff on saturday - only the grill is open), you can save it for next time, or supplement with yogurt, salad, etc. Don't forget instant oatmeal is good anytime of day - just cart a lock tight microwaveable bowl with you or mug that's big enough. Better oats (?) pouches even have the water line on them so you can use the pouch to measure out the water.

It wouldn't hurt to check out small bento box style lunch boxes. You may be able to find a small one with a fitted ice pack that will work, to add into your rotation. Or a sturdy vacuum thernos can be used for all kinds of soup / soup noodle variations. You can get those small as well.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Just read the replies and realized that you don't have a car to keep a cooler in. Here are some things I pack that fit in my book bag so I don't have to run to the car: Granola Bars, Protein Bars, Tuna Kits (these have tuna, crackers, light mayo, and relish in them to mix and eat), an extra water bottle with chocolate protein powder and powdered milk in it. The protein powder trick is something I came up with simply because I didn't have access to a cooler at one point in time. Basically, I put a scoop of powdered milk for ever scoop of protein powder so that I can just add water from the water fountain and have a chocolate milk with a little extra oomph. I don't like the taste of protein powder mixed with water so the powdered milk gives me a creamier taste. I do the protein powder instead of Slimfast or the other drinks like this because most of the time protein powder and skim milk has less sugar then those ready to drink things.
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    I had the same problem with not being able to fit stuff in my backpack (three classes, laptop, gym stuff & towel)... but I was able to rent a locker for the summer for only $5. I rotate what I keep in it and what I bring home so I have more room in my backpack.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Adverse effects caused by cortisol in short term fasting? I'm curious to see the studies if you can post links.