Anyone else feel really sick if you skip meals or eat "too little" at mealtime?

Options
While working on taking more initiative with my food and not buying fast food, there have been a few days where I've missed breakfast or eaten a very small breakfast or lunch, or had a big long wait between lunch and dinner. It's not planned, but usually due to running late, oversleeping, or traffic. It's not something I want to be doing, but it's happened probably 5 times total by mistake.

In these events, I've felt really ill! I get a headache and I feel dizzy, and it doesn't immediately go away with food. I can eat 2x the amount I would have eaten on time before feeling better. It messes up the rest of my day sometimes with an inability to concentrate, and severely reduces my energy level for the whole day.

I do my best to eat on time, eat full and balanced meals, and pack snacks. But experiencing this makes me very afraid to "go hungry" at any point.

I see a lot of people doing IF or skipping lunch to make room for a dinner out, etc. But I just can't do that! Does everyone just put up with the sick feelings, or is this really something unusual that I'm experiencing?

Replies

• glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Its not for everyone. I get up at 6am most days, and don't feel my first hunger pains untill about 12:30. Don't ever go so long that you feel sick. I also find a 50 calorie cheese stick will knock my hunger out.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    For me, I tried IF for one day. That's right, I lasted one day! If I don't eat on time, at least three times a day, not only do I feel very, very hungry but I am probably the scariest person to be around mood-wise! I need food! I LOVE food! :D

IF doesn't work for me but I can see the benefits. It's not for every one!

I'd say listen to your body, if it says eat - do your very best to eat. Even if it's a quick snack grab from your local shop because that's all you have time for. It's better to do that and log it when you get the time than to let your body start yelling at you!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If it's actually making you ill, see a doctor. Going several hours without eating shouldn't cause illness (it's how humans have survived for thousands of years.) It could be a sign of something serious going down.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    It sounds as if you're having a low blood sugar/hypoglycemia type problem. I used to, but eating lower carb really seems to help keep things steady. If it's really much of an issue it would be a good idea to see your doctor about it.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I went to my doctor with similar symptoms. I was worried about diabetes (had some other potential symptoms too) but it turns out I'm just hypoglycaemic. Eating right when I wake up and every few hours keeps that lightheaded gross feeling away, as well as trying to get some protein in at every snack/meal. I'd say it's worth a visit to your doctor to be on the safe side!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I used to get nauseous if I didn't eat breakfast, and sometimes got a headache along with it. It was just a low blood sugar issue. Now that I eat low carb I no longer have that problem. I can eat breakfast or skip it and am fine either way.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thanks everyone! I didn't think it would be a medical issue, but I'll make a note of it & ask next time I go to the doctor's.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    On rare occasion I'll get a terrible headache if I haven't eaten enough. Tends to happen if I'm much more active than usual and have been eating less than usual (like today, with an 8 mile run in the morning and then a small breakfast after since I wasn't too hungry yet).

It would be worth asking your doctor about this, just so you know if you should worry. As long as I avoid getting "too" hungry, I'm good, and it sounds like you are also :)

~Lyssa
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes same here Iust eat on a regular schedule or I get headache & dizzy and messed up for rest of day. No hypoglycemia, guess that's how my body goes.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    everyone is different.

If i am busy, i can easily skip breakfast, and even lunch, but will start feeling sick mid afternoon.

that said, if i eat breakfast or lunch, i can skip dinner. Today i had a late lunch, which worked out well, cause i wont be hungry for dinner, and can use those calories for deck drinking tonight ;)

i may not get hungry, but a beer always sounds good ;)
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I get that way sometimes ... usually a little bit of protein, such as a half of a cheese stick, yogurt, or cottage cheese, will do the trick.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    IF really isn't for everyone. It's just another way to create a calorie deficit.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Not eating during the day generally doesn't bother me too much. I'm never hungry when I wake up, and I don't usually even feel hungry until around 1:00-2:00pm. Actually, eating early in the morning usually makes me feel nauseated,

That said, I do need to eat my calories for the day, or else I'll really feel it when I wake up the next morning. If I ate too little the day before, I'll be really cold and shaky the day after. It resolves itself by the next day if I make sure to eat well that night, but it always sucks when that happens.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    It sounds as if you're having a low blood sugar/hypoglycemia type problem. I used to, but eating lower carb really seems to help keep things steady. If it's really much of an issue it would be a good idea to see your doctor about it.

Yeah, I agree with this. I've been doing intermittent fasting stuff for about a year with no problems, but I eat a high-fat diet. All the people I know who handle IF well eat high-fat too.

OP, it sounds like your sugar is crashing and that's what's making you feel bad. Just a guess.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Very common - blood sugar related. I get them when I miss breakfast
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/375852-why-do-i-get-a-headache-when-im-hungry/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I suggest keeping a snack in your jacket or something just in case.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    While working on taking more initiative with my food and not buying fast food, there have been a few days where I've missed breakfast or eaten a very small breakfast or lunch, or had a big long wait between lunch and dinner. It's not planned, but usually due to running late, oversleeping, or traffic. It's not something I want to be doing, but it's happened probably 5 times total by mistake.

In these events, I've felt really ill! I get a headache and I feel dizzy, and it doesn't immediately go away with food. I can eat 2x the amount I would have eaten on time before feeling better. It messes up the rest of my day sometimes with an inability to concentrate, and severely reduces my energy level for the whole day.
    Yup, same results here after skipping meals, plus I crave carbs.
    I do my best to eat on time, eat full and balanced meals, and pack snacks. But experiencing this makes me very afraid to "go hungry" at any point.
    Same here.
    I see a lot of people doing IF or skipping lunch to make room for a dinner out, etc. But I just can't do that! Does everyone just put up with the sick feelings, or is this really something unusual that I'm experiencing?
    Probably IF just isn't for everyone.
    Interesting, thanks everyone! I didn't think it would be a medical issue, but I'll make a note of it & ask next time I go to the doctor's.
    Do let me know if your doctor says anything more than to not let yourself get too hungry.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I feel sick if I have to wait a long time between meals, and often a bit shaky and faint as well (low blood sugar I think). I usually do feel better within about 10-15 minutes of eating though.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »

You described exactly my problem. I always feel like a weirdo because people around me can go hours without eating but I have to always plan when my next meal will be or I get sick. It feels just as you stated it and it ruins my whole day and takes hours to get my energy back. Your blood sugar is probably dropping, it could be hypoglycemia but even if your sugar isn't dropping severly low to cause hypoglycemia some people still feel the effects when sugar drops a little lower than normal. Eating/snacking every 4 hours is helpful.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Linzon wrote: »
    I went to my doctor with similar symptoms. I was worried about diabetes (had some other potential symptoms too) but it turns out I'm just hypoglycaemic. Eating right when I wake up and every few hours keeps that lightheaded gross feeling away, as well as trying to get some protein in at every snack/meal. I'd say it's worth a visit to your doctor to be on the safe side!

How were you diagnosied with hypoglycemia? Was it based on your symptoms or they did testing which indicated hypo?