Orangetheory afterburn

Options
ive been doing OTF for 2 years and love it, but I'm a little confused on this "after burn effect" the trainers talk about at the end of class. They say that if you're in your orange zone for xx amount of time then you'll burn an additional 300-400 calories and wake up the next day. I've been taking this with a grain of salt and don't count it in my excersise calories but I'm curious if there is any truth to this.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I think this is total bro-science and isn't true... 300-400 calories the next day?

I don't think it's true.

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    You should assume any after burn is minimal and not bank on them. Need 300-400 calories of additional deficit? Work out a little longer and burn those additional calories *for sure*.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Afterburn has been disproved, it has a very minimal impact.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    There is good scientific evidence to support increased calorie expenditure for 24 hours following high intensity exercise (HR>80% max) and heavy weightlifting....HOWEVER this is way blown out of proportion by OTF. The actual extra post-exercise calorie burn is in the range of 40-75 calories total in the 24 hour period. Also, the calorie expenditure reported to you in the OTF summary is overestimated as it is your Gross calorie burn (takes into account calories burned from exercise and calories you would have burned anyway for that time at rest, all HR based calorie expenditure results are Gross values). Calorie burn from exercise alone is Net calories. Ex. my reported calorie burn from an OTF class is 515, but my actual calorie burn from the exercise is about 450 (subtract BMR calories for that hour).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    EPOC effect is totally exaggerated by many trainers. Here's a more in depth write up on it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-final-nail-in-the-hiit-epoc-coffin-581439

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • am35
    am35 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. I was really hesitant to believe it was true but figured I'd ask to see if there were any truth/science behind it
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    There us truth to it but it tends to be overstated, just take it as a bonus.
  • am35
    am35 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wasn't trying to track the after burn calories. I was just more curious if it was actually true
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So they give you an inflated burn while you're there, and then send you home saying that you'll get an additional 300-400 for free? Nice.

No wonder that poster in that other OTF thread was gaining weight