5-2 diet??

Options
Hi I'm desperate to loose weight I moved abroad 3 years ago I was a size 8 I'm now a 16 I really hate it! No diet seems to work for me or I can't stick to it! I've heard this 5-2 diet is very good

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It's just a different way of distributing when your eat your calories.

Let's say that calculating your calorie goal to meet your desired deficit gives you 1500 calories per day. Whether you eat 1500 calories every day or 500 for 2 (non-consecutive) days and 1900 for the other 5 days, you'll end up with the same 10,500 calories over the course of the week.

The important thing about any eating method is that you are comfortable with it and can stick to it.

The "diet" that has worked for me is to eat the foods I normally eat but in smaller portions so that I'm eating fewer calories. Don't make big changes to lose weight. Make small changes that you can live with comfortably.
  • emmapurchase
    emmapurchase Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It really is hard! I was thinking just maybe try 500 calories a day until I reach my goal and exercise lots that should make weight loss quick
  • seska422
    Options
    It really is hard! I was thinking just maybe try 500 calories a day until I reach my goal and exercise lots that should make weight loss quick
    That's not safe or healthy. Also, you'll most likely just gain it all back plus some if you don't learn how to keep it off.

Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. You didn't put the weight on overnight and you won't lose it overnight.
  • emmapurchase
    Options
    That's very true. Guess I will just have to keep looking for a diet that suits me, maybe I could try cutting out carbs
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Have you tried just cutting calories? It works every time as long as you stick to it and you can eat anything you like :)
  • emmapurchase
    Options
    Thank you. I really am trying, today I had 1 toast and an egg and 30 mins swimming and it's 1:30. I do really struggle to stick with any diet!
  • seska422
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you have trouble sticking to a diet, then don't diet in the common sense of the word. Don't cut this or cut that or eat something strange or avoid the things you love. If you get too restrictive, you'll just throw up your hands and give up. Be sure that you eat at least 1200 calories per day in order to get enough nutrients.

Get a food scale and keep careful track of your portions and you can eat what you like to eat, just less of it, and lose weight that way. If you do that, you can keep the weight off by sticking to that same eating plan but moving from a deficit to maintenance calories.
  • emmapurchase
    Options
    That's great thanks! And I will try lots of exercise the weather has cooled down so will try lots more walking!
  • Mnaminal
    Mnaminal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those poor sods for whom "just cutting calories" doesn't work for. For whatever reason, I really do need to restrict (not cut out) my carbs more than most to consistently lose weight. However, starving yourself (ultra low cal + heavy exercise) won't work. Your body will fight to hang on to fat reserves, plus you'll be miserable. And the app will yell at you if you finish your day under 1000 calories. Try the auto settings on MyFitnessPal to start, including the protein/carb/fat ratios, and go from there.
  • emmapurchase
    Options
    Thanks for the advice I will try that:) I think I try and starve myself with cutting out meals then I'm starving lol
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    If you have struggled to stick to diet plans, I personally wouldn't recommend the 5:2. I think you need to find a sustainable plan (eating at a daily sensible deficit would probably work well). I've heard good things about the 5:2 but I do wonder how you'll be able to handle the very low 500 calorie days if you have history of 'falling off the wagon' so to speak. I hope you find something that works with you - MFP will definitely support you. Good luck!
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Mnaminal wrote: »
    However, starving yourself (ultra low cal + heavy exercise) won't work. Your body will fight to hang on to fat reserves, plus you'll be miserable. And the app will yell at you if you finish your day under 1000 calories. Try the auto settings on MyFitnessPal to start, including the protein/carb/fat ratios, and go from there.

I agree with this. It does not have to be complicated. Why don't you set your numbers as indicated above and follow that for 2 weeks and see how that goes. This is not a race but a lifestyle change. If you stay in a healthy range of a calorie deficit, you will lose the weight. Don't starve yourself, you are only asking for trouble that way. One day and one pound at a time. You can do this!
  • RosieJaynee
    RosieJaynee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was like you, tried every diet going after having 2 gorgeous children! Have you tried bootea? Its definitely worth trying! When you buy your tea bags you also get a fitness workout plan & also your meal plan. I lost over a stone in 3 months! Haven't seen it being mentioned on here yet :smile: just a suggestion!
    Good luck anyway :smiley:
  • mmrie6905
    mmrie6905 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have just read pages and pages of reviews on this diet on Amazon as well as a diet review on how healthy it is. It gets wonderful reviews. I am currently in my first week of it and have already lost 3.2 lbs. I will be doing my 2nd fast day tomorrow (my week isn't over for 2 more days). I am no stranger to fasting (I do 3 days twice per year with no food at all, for religious reasons). So, actually being able to eat at all is really nice! I recommend giving it a try. Most people are saying it isn't a diet but a way of life.

I have tried every diet known and this is the first that I feel like I can actually maintain and do for the rest of my life. Those who knock it haven't looked into it, tried or read about it.