How to stop eating until the plate was empty...

Options
Dolcie89
Dolcie89 Posts: 33 Member
edited September 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hi guys, just wondering how you guys managed to stop eating until the plate was empty and learnt to stop eating when you were full?

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Smaller plate?
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    smaller portions
  • mcmorrow33
    mcmorrow33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Drink a pint of water before and after your meal :)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I only put what I am going to eat on my plate.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions. If I'm eating out I just put my knife and fork down when I'm full.
  • Dolcie89
    Options
    Thank you for your answers, will attempt all of these ideas
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I knowwww it's a very hard thing to do :D ! Smaller plate at the beginning of my weigh loss was very helpful , and worst case scenario if it fits your calories and your stomach , go for it maybe?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    At home, only out on my plate what I plan to eat. When eating out, I ask for a box right when meal comes out, and then put half of it in the box before I start.

I also find that the "20 minute rule" is really true for me--that us, that it takes about 20 minutes from the time I start eating to the time my stomach thinks it's full. If I gobble a meal quickly, it's gone before I even feel it, and then later I feel blamed and overstuffed. If I slow down, enjoy the company I'm with and drink plenty of water between bites, I feel full with less!
  • Dolcie89
    Options
    I will deffo dig out a smaller plate. I mainly weigh all my meals at home so it's ok but when I don't or when I go out I don't know when to stop! Just really need to take my time I guess and listen to my stomach! Thanks for all the replies
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    For me, I'm eating roughly 1700 calories from whole grains, tubers, veggies, beans, lentils, fruits. I keep fats/oils very low. So what happens is that I end up with a high volume of food and almost always get a 2nd or 3rd plate. I get full because I'm eating a ton of food even though it's only 1700 cals. It's all in the food choices you make because they determine the volume of food which then determines how filling it is.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Dolcie89 wrote: »
    I will deffo dig out a smaller plate. I mainly weigh all my meals at home so it's ok but when I don't or when I go out I don't know when to stop! Just really need to take my time I guess and listen to my stomach! Thanks for all the replies

And you know what help me too before, I programme my self to eat slow and enjoy every bite like it's the last one , like it's a piece of heaven.

Like yeah it's not the whole jar of ice-cream I used to eat but this 1/2 cup I'm going to eat it gloriously slow.

Good luck and remember don't punish your self ever, it take lotsssss of trying and error to learn a habit and stick with it.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, smaller plate too. I never eat on full size plate at home anymore.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I eat my dinner out of a mixing bowl, lol. Guess it depends on the type of foods you eat, I prefer high volume. I weigh out what I'm going to eat, and only put that amount on the plate.

At restaurants, yes, it can be hard. I often try to order something I know I can eat all of and fit in my day rather than leaving food or traveling home with it (I live in NYC and take the subway from borough to borough).
  • thintribe2014
    thintribe2014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I only put what I am going to eat on my plate.
    I tend to try and enter into MFP a rough approximation of what I plan to consume for each meal and snack at the beginning of each day. This helps me work out my macros and am getting the correct volume of each. I've been doing it long enough now that I can eyeball if unable to weigh.. So I only put on the plate roughly the right amount.

• OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    Smaller plate?

This. This right here. I do not use the gigantic dinner plates I used to use, and it really helps me portion better. I had the same problem for a long time, where I would put enough food on my plate to fill it, then just eat until the plate was empty. Smaller plates and bowls make me feel like I still get to do the same thing, but it's less than half the food.
  • bbycakes1963
    bbycakes1963 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love the idea above to ask for a box right away at the restaurant and put half the meal in it before eating. I'm definitely going to do that from now on!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    No idea, I eat whatever I put on my plate. But then, I don't overload my plate so it's not a problem for me.
  • Miles_to_Go
    Miles_to_Go Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use smaller plates, bowls and cups. These have gotten bigger over the years, especially in the U.S., leading to more overeating. Works well to regulate appetite.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    At home I just weigh my food and only put in my plate what I will eat. If anything though, my plates are too small now, I eat a huge amount of veggies during meals...

When visiting people, I only put a little bit of everything on my plate. Can always get seconds if I'm still hungry after.

When I eat out, I only order what will fit my calories typically, so I eat it all.

For me, it doesn't really matter if I stop when I'm not hungry anymore or not.. if I eat a little bit extra, it's not a huge deal, I just will be less hungry later, and I don't see how it's a bad thing (unless it's dinner time, then yeah, I might be more mindful). But I almost never order the high calorie stuff at restaurants either.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Every morsel that goes on my plate or in my dish is weighed and logged before eat it. So I can eat everything in/on it.

Granted I know this can be more difficult for those who cook for more than just themselves. But it isn't impossible.