Personal Wellness Coach?

Options
With my last company we had access to a personal wellness coach. He'd check up on me and we'd set goals. I could ask health and fitness questions. I loved the guy I worked with. I'd like to find someone like, someone that I could touch base with every week. Does that sort of thing exist outside of companies? Any recommendations?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Why not use MFP for awhile and if you have a question post on the appropriate board. Or you could Google for a coach close to you.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Be careful about this on here. By asking for a wellness coach you will probably be flooded with PM's from "coaches" wanting to sell you shakes, fixes, and exercise DVD's.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    You will now be bombarded with private messages , "coaches" from multilevel marketing companies will persistently hound you now to buy there junk snake oil products. These coaches are just salespeople and go through no real fitness or health training at all. They just pretend to be knowledgeable to try to push their garbage products. So don't fall for it. If anyone on here tries to sell you anything please report them asap as its against forum guidelines.
    These multilevel marketing scums are the lowest of the low so stay far away from all of them
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There are people out there that do that but as mentioned above many are just selling some type of BS. I'm guessing your company contracted with the coach as opposed to him being an employee. Could you contact HR at your old company and get the name of the company that provided the service?

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    tqdtq1l696lx.jpeg
    multilevel marketing scum^^^
  • Marinemomm
    Marinemomm Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes it exists..can be pricey. In my area it's like they previously mentioned people selling shakes, supplements or wraps. Good luck!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    As mentioned earlier, it's quite likely that you're going to get bombarded with PM's from people selling MLM products but having said that, there are certainly coaches out there to work strictly with lifestyle/behavior modification and online personal training who are both ethical and successful.

Steve Troutman does great work. You can check him out at body-improvements.com. He's really good at what he does.

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Steve Troutman does great work. You can check him out at body-improvements.com. He's really good at what he does.

I absolutely concur with this
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me in touch with a wellness coach who was associated with a big local medical center. I bought a package deal with her that lasted 6 months. She wasn't pushing any products or medical procedures, and although she offered a sideline as a trainer, she mentioned it only once and didn't encourage or steer me toward hiring her (or anyone else). I thought the time was well spent. However, it was very expensive. If you ask your doctor, maybe you can get a similar referral.

And thanks for the recommendation for Steve Troutman. I'm going to check it out myself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Or you could just frequent here and ask some questions. Lots of qualified people will answer and you'll usually see that their answers will mirror each other because they aren't caught up in a lot of the crap that the diet and fitness industry promote.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • starshellc
    starshellc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well no messages so that's a good thing. Definitely not looking for shakes or quick fixes, just looking for the added.support to ensure success. I'll hang out here and test the waters. I've got loads of questions. :)
  • kaylaybanez
    kaylaybanez Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Add some of as friends that you can relate to and ask any questions you have as well as statuses and we will respond if we can help :)
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are, but many healthcare insurance companies in the U.S. offer wellness coaches for free or a very low charge. They are usually nurses, dietitians, and counsellors who can help with weight loss, nutrition, smoking cessation, and other health questions via a hotline. They are probably similar to what your work offered.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    They do exist. A friend of mine started working with one, and is happy with her so far...it's been 2 or 3 months I believe. She doesn't push any products, it's just helping set goals and come up with different strategies to reach them. I have no idea how much it costs though. If you hire one, I would look for referrals from someone you trust.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I wish we had them here in Australia. I saw an exercise therapist who wouldn't let me near anything that weighed more than 2kgs. Then I spoke to a dietician who told me I needed to eat clean and to start avoiding all the gmo (?) thingies

I left there early and started reading the forums instead. A lot of the people up there ^^^^ are awesome resources.