Looking for some advice from people who have dealt with/overcome achilles heel pain/tendonitis!

Hey everybody,

I've been having some Achilles heel pain for the last few months but it's only recently gotten worse and more noticeable (burning sensation when it stretches and throughout the day). I've consulted with my doctor who advised me to ice after working out (and randomly throughout the day), stretch my calves regularly, and try not to strain further. My doctor also knows me well enough to know I don't want to stop working out. I know many will say that that's exactly what I need to do, but, I'm stubborn and don't want to lose the progress I've made, nor do I want to stop. I've taken it easier, modified things but stopping completely isn't something I'm looking to do.

That being said, I was wondering if anyone has dealt with these issues and how they overcame them. I've ordered a compression sock and some KT tape to wear during workouts so it doesn't strain as far. I'm wondering if anyone has had Achilles heel issues and still managed to workout. If so, do you recommend any particular brace/compression sock that made it better for you? Any tips that helped it recover sooner?

Just really looking for any success stories, and not really looking for anyone to lecture me about how they think I'm making bad choices. And I actually do mean that in the nicest way possible, just being honest. :smile:

Replies

• gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Can you not still work out but concentrate on upper body stuff for a bit and let yiur poor tendons heal....
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Follow dr's advice, find exercises that do not stress the ankle (ask your dr, swimming was the recommendation for me), and ask if a physical therapist will help. Do not push through the pain, it is not this kind of pain.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Also to understand what you are dealing with, turning the problem into a chronic one, means a long road of rest, pain, and expensive medical procedures. Think several months if not years, if you reach this point, not days or weeks.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    It takes time. PT could help, at least in terms of teaching you some rehab type exercises. The KT tape did nothing for me. Ice, gentle stretching, and massage helped. In the meantime you have to stay away from exercise that aggravated it. I was able to swim and bike and lift but not run.
    I should add....first time around I kept trying to rush back into running before it was healed, and it just made the injury drag out longer. Take the time to take care of it so it doesn't linger longer than necessary.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I've been dealing with this myself since April. I had a knee injury that caused me to heavily favor my opposite leg which strained the tendon. Mostly I have found that gentle stretching and movement helps. I also use an arnica based lineament to help the area to loosen up and ice. Mine gets so sore sometimes that it wakes me up at night and I have some difficulty walking when I get out of bed for the first few minutes. Last night was a pretty bad one. But it worked itself out after I got moving around. I think if you avoid moving it will just get tighter and more painful.|

I think a hot epsom salt soak would also be a big help. Off to do that now actually now that I think of it.
  • effervescence1
    effervescence1 Posts: 7 Member
    KT or rock tape, chiropractic and Graston. No more pain!
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    I'm dealing with the same thing.. Have had to stop running and try and heal but I'm stubborn!