Work full time and a mummy!

Options
I need ideas of how to fit exercise in to my day as I work full time and have a 2 year old son! We don't have family close by to babysit so therefore ideas what I can do when he's in bed/ with me!

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    There are great workout DVD's and/or youtube videos that you can do while your son is asleep.

I commend you on your dedication! Good luck!
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Same problem. Solved it with a home gym we use when the kids are asleep early in the am or the evening.

My advice 1) enforce an early bedtime so you have time in the evenings. My two go to bed at 7 pm.
    2) an active commute if possible - build in walking or cycling
    3) active work breaks - do you have a flight of stairs at work you can do a few laps of a couple times a day? A lunch hour that can be used for a walk a run or gym time?
    4) consider alternating bedtime duties with your partner so that you get to the gym on the way home from work half the time. This worked well for us before the home gym. I think moms in particular feel we always have to be there.
    5) devices to carry your child with you. When my son was two he loved jogs in the jogging stroller and being towed behind a bike
    6) playground exercises. Park benches are great for push-ups tricep dips step ups, split squats, planks etc.
    7) DVDs, home body weight exercises, home interval workouts
    8) leave some chores for later. The key with DVDs and things at home is that the dishes are kind of staring at you accusing you of neglect. You gotta get over that kind of thing.
    9) weekend activities - at two your kid is a little young but in a year they should be able to go to a swim lesson etc without parental participation. I do things like drop my kid at his swim lesson and then I swim lengths in the pool for 30 min. When they are in soccer etc your best friend is a pair of running shoes. Drop them off, run, pick them up after practice.

Good luck!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Is there a gym near you with childcare?
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I teach full time, have two kids and am currently working on my National Teacher's certification. I go for walks with my kids, do Fitness blender workouts, I also have a treadmill. I make time to do it. My husband is very willing to sit and do homework with my my school aged daughter so I can get some time to workout.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the work out DVD idea! :]
    Getting fit in the comfort of your own home - sounds good to me! Good luck!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are a single mum, then either invest in something you can do at home: dumbbells, treadmill, stationary bike or just find some workout videos you like, or look for a place where you can workout with or in parallel to your child: walk together, find a gym with daycare, look into activities for little ones, so you can use this time to workout etc.
    If you have a partner then going to the gym a few evenings is also an option.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    You look awfully good for a dead Egyptian! ;)

Hire a babysitter.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Lots of MFP'ers work full time, have kids, family, etc and still fit in exercise. I'm one of them! You have to find time in your day for it. For me it means getting up at 5 am to get my workout in. It works for me since I know I won't do it on my lunch hour and I tend to find a 1000 reasons why I can't workout after work.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    Same problem. Solved it with a home gym we use when the kids are asleep early in the am or the evening.

My advice 1) enforce an early bedtime so you have time in the evenings. My two go to bed at 7 pm.
    2) an active commute if possible - build in walking or cycling
    3) active work breaks - do you have a flight of stairs at work you can do a few laps of a couple times a day? A lunch hour that can be used for a walk a run or gym time?
    4) consider alternating bedtime duties with your partner so that you get to the gym on the way home from work half the time. This worked well for us before the home gym. I think moms in particular feel we always have to be there.
    5) devices to carry your child with you. When my son was two he loved jogs in the jogging stroller and being towed behind a bike
    6) playground exercises. Park benches are great for push-ups tricep dips step ups, split squats, planks etc.
    7) DVDs, home body weight exercises, home interval workouts
    8) leave some chores for later. The key with DVDs and things at home is that the dishes are kind of staring at you accusing you of neglect. You gotta get over that kind of thing.
    9) weekend activities - at two your kid is a little young but in a year they should be able to go to a swim lesson etc without parental participation. I do things like drop my kid at his swim lesson and then I swim lengths in the pool for 30 min. When they are in soccer etc your best friend is a pair of running shoes. Drop them off, run, pick them up after practice.

Good luck!

This is awesome advice!
  • sammerjean
    sammerjean Posts: 16 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Most kids love to imitate Mommy. Make some fake dumbells for him out of paper towel rolls (the cardboard core) and have him do your routine right along with you. Dance, race him, pull/push him in a wagon, swing him up in the air ... use him as your motivation to move and also as your heavy lifting, lol. He'll be involved, he'll see you as a great example of healthy living, and he'll sleep well at night!