I lost 60lbs, but I need a little help, LEAN or BULK

Options
So, I've lost 60lbs since January 2015. I'm 6'0ft and 172lbs..still trying to get to 160lbs.. I was 232lbs. Even while on this weight lost journey, I've stated I've never wanted to bulk up, nor did I really care to lift weights, I wanted to just strictly obtain lean muscle. I'm a runner, a long distance runner, But I have such broad shoulders, basically a MESOMORPH BODY. I want to achieve the in-between lean and bulk look. Trying to sculpt my chest and making it round and firm which is my primary focus. As well as a solid strong core. I really dont care for getting abs, I just want the firm muscular toned body..and suggestions? Anybody achieved that before? Or know exactly how I can achieve it? Any buddy systems? All responses are welcomed.

Replies

• skadir231
    skadir231 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm not an expert or anything, it's just my thoughts on it. Lifting weights won't necessarily make you bulkier and can in fact promote you to lose weight. I would have thought that doing weights as well as cardio and eating right will help you get that defined look :)
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    160? eek
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    recomp
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    Body types (ecto, endo, meso) is bunk science with no merit. Also, you don't have to bulk/cut if you're not a competition builder who's in a rush to get max gains in min time. Just eat slightly above maintenance (after counting workout calories) and take in enough protein (there's loads of formulas around, pick one that works for you) then go out and lift. You don't need to pack on 5 pounds of fat for every 8oz of muscle you pick up. Just stay lean and lift. You'll put on mass and strength without having to then turn around and cut in a few months to lose the fat you gained.
  • WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What you need to do is workout either free weights or machines, but go for 3 sets of 15 reps with lower weights, you should feel like your a little sore after this, but not in pain. Also if you find its hard to do the 15 reps in three sets drop the weight by 5 pounds until you can. Also because you want to tone more than bulk, try strength training like this 3 times a week, working core and arms one day, core and legs the second and core and back the third. A good personal trainer, or some good YouTube videos can help you get into the correct exercises. Remember that if you start the strength training like this you may have to increase your protein levels, and compensate by lowering your carb intake.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Body types (ecto, endo, meso) is bunk science with no merit. Also, you don't have to bulk/cut if you're not a competition builder who's in a rush to get max gains in min time. Just eat slightly above maintenance (after counting workout calories) and take in enough protein (there's loads of formulas around, pick one that works for you) then go out and lift. You don't need to pack on 5 pounds of fat for every 8oz of muscle you pick up. Just stay lean and lift. You'll put on mass and strength without having to then turn around and cut in a few months to lose the fat you gained.

This.

lift weights. And eat just a little bit above maintenance. Lifting weights isn't going to make you big and bulky unless you get really serious about it. If you do it frequently though it will help your body look so much better! gaining muscle will also help you lose weight over time. More muscle burns more calories
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    WRLemmon wrote: »
    What you need to do is workout either free weights or machines, but go for 3 sets of 15 reps with lower weights, you should feel like your a little sore after this, but not in pain. Also if you find its hard to do the 15 reps in three sets drop the weight by 5 pounds until you can. Also because you want to tone more than bulk, try strength training like this 3 times a week, working core and arms one day, core and legs the second and core and back the third. A good personal trainer, or some good YouTube videos can help you get into the correct exercises. Remember that if you start the strength training like this you may have to increase your protein levels, and compensate by lowering your carb intake.
    Not this.
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    WRLemmon wrote: »

Not this ^^ I would say lift heavy don't waste time lifting light. Using all your energy lifting light when it's not gonna do anything. Also lowering carbs nah I wouldn't simply because carbs is your fuel source you need carbs for the energy I'm not saying go all out and eat loads and loads of carbs but you do need them! I would lift heavy you can still have that look by doing that! Maybe on some moves you can lift light but it because you can't lift heavy yet but as you adjust aim to lift weights heavier .. Keep the body guessing too :)
  • decotterell
    decotterell Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 63 pounds, and have been maintaining since February. I too run and am not much interested in bulking. I am trying to stay tone though. Here is what I do. I try to do sit ups after almost every run. This strengthens my core and I believe ultimately helps my running. I also try to spend a little time lifting weights. Not too much, just about 15 minutes after I run, or through in some push ups. I don't run long, long distances. A 10K is about as far as I push myself, but other than that, we probably have very similar goals.