skin advice

Options
i need help! it seems my weight loss is happening faster than my skin can shrink....i know that i'll have some big old stretch marks, and i'm fine with that, but can anyone recommend anything to help my skin regain it's elasticity and shrink up a little? i've been using the nivea skin-firming--maybe i just need to try something else to shake it up a bit.....any suggestions would be fantastic! thanks!!!!

Replies

• DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for you. I'll be stalking this thread to see what others are saying. I've been using Palmer's streatchmark cream and it says it helps with skin when losing weight, but I don't see a difference (in either area). I have heard that vitamin E oil helps, but i have never really tried it.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water, and keep your skin moisturized! It won't eliminate the problem, but it'll help improve your skin's elasticity.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Just keep the skin hydrated, lather up in the morning and evenings ... also make sure your fats are mostly clean (from fish, nuts, olives, olive oil, eggs, etc.).

EDIT: yeah, I second the water tip .. drink lots.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Here's some steps that I found that might help.

Step 1

Think of how long it took your body to reach your highest weight. It didn't happen overnight, so you can't really expect your skin to become taut in such a short space of time.

Many surgeons recommend waiting two years from the day you reach your weight loss target before even considering surgery. This allows you to exhaust all options available naturally before entering into a costly and potential dangerous operation.

Step 2

Nourish your skin and encourage it's elasticity. Exfoliate your skin daily to encourage removal of dead skin cells. Doing this each day will stimulate your skin's circulation which should help in tightening skin up.

Step 3

Treat yourself to a hot hour-long bath once or twice a week. While the bath is being drawn, add 1/2lb of pure sea salt to the water and allow it to dissolve. Besides relaxing your body and muscles, it will draw toxins out of your skin and will improve your overall skin tone.

Step 4

Determine what your body fat percentage is. It's impossible to differentiate loose skin from body fat without this figure. Many gyms are able to assess your body for this.

Step 5

While you may have reached your goal weight, it's possible that your body fat percentage is still high. In order to reduce this, you should strive to change your body's composition by reducing fat and replacing it with muscle. If you haven't done so already, speak to a gym or a personal trainer to work on an exercise plan which will help you achieve this.

Step 6

Aloe vera extract, soy protein and yeast extract can improve your skin's elasticity by increasing your body's production of elastin and collagen. It not only tightens your skin but your skin's natural defenses as well.

Step 7

Coconuts can help tighten your skin up!Eating raw food such as cucumber, tomato, olives and coconut can mark an improvement in your skin's elasticity.

Step 8

Hyaluronic Acid is naturally found in our body's tissues. It depletes over time, so it's worth supplementing your diet with some. It is critical for muscle growth, so if you're replacing pounds of fat with muscle, it's definitely worth taking. Smokers tend to be lacking this nutrient. It needs magnesium to synthesize, so ensure you're taking magnesium daily to reap its benefits.
  • gennyvieve
    Options
    RYHENBLUE---thank you thank you thank you!!!! i've been doing some of that, but not all of it....i'm going to work the rest into my daily routines!!!! i'm not trying to jump the gun, it's been over a year since i started losing, it's just in the last couple weeks it seems excessively loose and icky. i do NOT want to even consider surgery.....so i'll do what i need to. i will be finding out my fat % in 5wks when the competition i'm participating in ends.

again, i can't thank you enough
    super super helpful and i really appreciate it! :laugh:
  • AndrelleJohnson
    AndrelleJohnson Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sorry I know I'm wayy late but try Bio Oil!!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Just realized how old this was... Nevermind sorry.