Nutritional Info

Options
So I've just joined and this looks like a fantastic way to follow my diet and actually see the nutritional values in my diet. The only thing is that the nutrition seems to vary wildly between all the options when I go to add the same food. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The verified foods (green flag) may be more complete.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    You can also look up the values elsewhere to compare... or look for ones with lots of confirmations. USDA entries are good too.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    For packaged foods, I recommend using Wal Mart's website to verify an entry.
    For eating out a place that provides nutritional info, I recommend CalorieKing.
    For whole foods, I recommend the USDA's online nutritional database.

It's annoying to have to double check when I'm adding something new, but it's the what happens when anyone and everyone can add entries into the database!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    If you are planning to eat something on a regular basis, it's actually easiest just to skip finding an accurate database entry and enter it yourself into your My Foods section.
  • alt5057
    alt5057 Posts: 62 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If I don't have a box or package to look at and am using a "generic" listing for fruits/veg/etc, I try to look for ones with the green check-mark and says that it is "verified".

And if listings for something seem wildly different, I will usually pick the mid-range one. Since you can enter your own, there will always people who are underestimating their calories in something and I don't want to fall into that! :)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    alt5057 wrote: »
    If I don't have a box or package to look at and am using a "generic" listing for fruits/veg/etc, I try to look for ones with the green check-mark and says that it is "verified".

And if listings for something seem wildly different, I will usually pick the mid-range one. Since you can enter your own, there will always people who are underestimating their calories in something and I don't want to fall into that! :)
    The database has many inaccuracies, even the verified foods. If there are wild differences, there's no way to tell which is correct or even if any of them are close.

For things without a nutritional info box, search Google for your item plus "nutrition" and you'll almost always get a link or even basic or full nutritional information within the search results. With fruits and veggies, you can even use the pull-down menu to adjust the type and serving size.

Here's part of the right-side panel I get when I search "tomato nutrition":
    qyomj1b56oky.jpg

I use the Google nutritional info for things that don't come in a box to make my own My Foods entries. I use 100 gram serving sizes to make the math easy.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    If there's a bar code I always scan it over taking what MFP has in the database.

If there's not, then as @VeryKatie suggests, go to other sites to check inaccuracies ie. Sparkpeople or CalorieCount or the maker of the food's website.

If you are looking at components of a dish I will scan the bar code of the ingredients and save it as a MEAL in MFP this way I only need to do it once.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    For prepackaged foods use the MFP phone app, it has a bare code reader. It has been spot on for well over 90% of my stuff.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    If there's a bar code I always scan it over taking what MFP has in the database.

If you're using the MFP app, then the bar code is just being scanned and giving you the same information in the MFP database, whether it's correct or not. Anyone can enter nutritional data associated with a bar code, just like food entered any other way into the database.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good suggestions above. I usually go for green flag. I scan the foods. When in doubt, I search for USDA on anything standard. But after around two weeks, you'll find that the foods you eat all the time come up on top and appear in your 'Frequent' list. So take a little time right at the beginning finding the right entries.

I've been doing this four years. The first two weeks are the most annoying, because the system doesn't 'know' you yet. After that, it's easy.
  • nxd10
    Options
    I still don't have a good entry for 'french fries' yet, though. I eat them at diners and have no idea what to put in - except a lot.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options

If there's not, then as @VeryKatie suggests, go to other sites to check inaccuracies ie. Sparkpeople or CalorieCount or the maker of the food's website.

If you are looking at components of a dish I will scan the bar code of the ingredients and save it as a MEAL in MFP this way I only need to do it once.

Great suggestions. I always double check the barcode scans too though - I've had them be wrong before (not often, but it happens).
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions above. For fruits, definitely do not use the ones that say something like "one medium banana" because everyone's idea of "medium" is not the same. Look for the ones that have 1 oz. or 1 gram as an option -- then weigh your fruit and enter that way. I slowly gained 5 pounds just by logging fruit with the first method!
  • velveteen7845
    velveteen7845 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

It's annoying to have to double check when I'm adding something new, but it's the what happens when anyone and everyone can add entries into the database!

That is such a great tip! I have been logging for 14 months and I had no idea that Walmart.com had all of that nutritional info. I learn such awesome things from these forums.

• trees_r
    trees_r Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - some really useful tips! :smile:
  • nxd10
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good idea about the french fries. I usually entered them as McDonalds because I know the size and approximate weight. But I think that does describe it well. I only eat around 10 fries every other week, but it's the one thing I never know what to put. Actually, I lie. The once a month diner milkshake gets me too.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options

This is all really great advice. (Though I've never done the first one; I always keep my packaging around until I've scanned it and double-checked it against the entry, lol.)
  • tlwshaw
    tlwshaw Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »

If you're using the MFP app, then the bar code is just being scanned and giving you the same information in the MFP database, whether it's correct or not. Anyone can enter nutritional data associated with a bar code, just like food entered any other way into the database.

I have Window Phone app, and when I use the bar code scanner, it shows the same information as what is listed on the package. I rely on that method quite a bit.