Question about data base calorie discrepancies

Options
I had 85 grams of avocado for breakfast. Just for fun I chose several of the options that came up on the list for "avocado":
-- avocado-avocado -- 136 calories
-- timea-avocado -- 96 calories
-- avocado-Haas -- 142 calories

All for the same 85 grams. That's a pretty big difference, especially between the "timea" one (whatever that is...must be a brand name?) How do we know what's correct on any of these lists? I'm trying to be as accurate as I can, but maybe these few differences aren't important? I don't know... I went with the 142 just to be safe, but just wondering...

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Is timea not a different variety?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've been using Google to find nutrition for fruits and veggies because most of them have a nutritional information chart right on the search page. For "avocado nutrition", I got the following for a 100 gram serving:

Avocados: 160 calories
    Avocados, California: 167 calories
    Avocados, Florida: 120 calories

Those were the only 3 types that Google had available in their nutrition chart. I'm thinking that the Florida avocados are Timea.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    You can use the USDA National Nutrient Database to verify the nutrient information for many whole foods, such as meats, poultry, vegetables, fruits, dairy, nuts, herbs, spices, etc., plus some restaurant and US/Canadian food products.

Tip: Add the word raw to your search for fruits and vegetables to narrow the search results to many verified entries, at least one of which will be based on the USDA information.
  • MrPriolos
    MrPriolos Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had 85 grams of avocado for breakfast. Just for fun I chose several of the options that came up on the list for "avocado":
    -- avocado-avocado -- 136 calories
    -- timea-avocado -- 96 calories
    -- avocado-Haas -- 142 calories

All for the same 85 grams. That's a pretty big difference, especially between the "timea" one (whatever that is...must be a brand name?) How do we know what's correct on any of these lists? I'm trying to be as accurate as I can, but maybe these few differences aren't important? I don't know... I went with the 142 just to be safe, but just wondering...

I agree this is one of the hardest things to deal with when counting calories. I'm an accuracy nut and I find it nearly impossible to be absolutely sure of somethings. Pulled pork is another one... some are cooked in sugary bbq sauces and some are cooked in crushed tomatoes with herbs and spices.... the difference is like 300 calories per serving.

I use google and do my best to estimate. Unfortunately there is no good answer.