Spinning Bikes

Options
Hi all,

I moved to a new place and the gym, albeit small, has a couple of spinning bikes. I've never taken a spinning class before but I would be interested in trying them out.

Is it just a matter of changing intensity throughout the workout?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    You can control cadence (how fast you pedal) and resistance (how hard the bike makes you work to pedal), which makes it harder or easier. A spin class instructor will also generally call in times to stand or sit--it is easier to pedal on a higher resistance when you are standing, so less strength work on your legs, but then it is easier on the rest of your body to sit, so there's a tradeoff.

The great thing about spin class is that you're in control of the workout. So if the instructor calls to stand and your knees aren't feeling it, you can stay seated; if you want to extend the hard part just a bit longer, you can.

As much as I despise the stationary bike on my own, spin class is a blast. I get myself to the gym before dawn for it!
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love a good spin class - music blasting, sweat dripping and lots of motivation to work as hard as you can! It's individual so you can go easy if you need to but the buzz of it pushes you to try and go further/harder/faster!
    Make sure you get the instructor to show you how to set up the bike position properly the 1st time and then go for it! Instructor will guide you through the workout - some fast sprints, some high resistance "hill climbs" and some sitting to standing or "press ups" on the bike to give a really good all round workout. It works legs obviously but also bum and core. Great fun too!