Fish - advice on quick cooking tips?

Options
Good morning :) So I love fish/seafood in general. However, I'm not very good at cooking regular fish - scallops, shrimp...salmon in the oven are fine. Generally I use those frozen patties, but I'm pretty sure they're not the healthiest thing out there when it comes to preservatives.

So do any of you have any advice/techniques for pan frying fish? I just want a simple fish that will go well with my lunch salads. Also I live in western NY so fresh fish/seafood tends to be fairly expensive, so I need to stick to the "cheaper" fish (tilapia, for example) Thanks for any advice :)

Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Not pan frying, but you can "poach" vacuum packed frozen fish right in the pouch. Simmer at a very, very low temperature. If it's an oily fish like salmon, you are essentially oil poaching. Very quick, nothing to clean and delicious.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    if they're thin, like a sole fillet, fry in a little butter and liberally season with salt and pepper. Serve on a salad, or in a wrap.
  • notcrazychef
    notcrazychef Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Pan fry fish in general works with one that does not flake easy, much better option would be to grill
  • Reesesayspeaces
    Reesesayspeaces Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    if they're thin, like a sole fillet, fry in a little butter and liberally season with salt and pepper. Serve on a salad, or in a wrap.

Sole is a disgusting bottom feeder. It's healthier to eat the insole of your gym shoes. Just because it has protein and low fat doesn't mean it's good for you!

Granulated Sugar is fat free. Why don't you go eat a bowl of sugar?!

Please do research before putting this stuff into your body.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • Reesesayspeaces
    Options
    Good morning :) So I love fish/seafood in general. However, I'm not very good at cooking regular fish - scallops, shrimp...salmon in the oven are fine. Generally I use those frozen patties, but I'm pretty sure they're not the healthiest thing out there when it comes to preservatives.

So do any of you have any advice/techniques for pan frying fish? I just want a simple fish that will go well with my lunch salads. Also I live in western NY so fresh fish/seafood tends to be fairly expensive, so I need to stick to the "cheaper" fish (tilapia, for example) Thanks for any advice :)

Eat less fish if it's not in your budget. Bottom feeders like tilapia and sole are not healthy for you. Sure they might be high in protein and low in fat but they also carry a *kitten* ton of toxins. It's better to eat quality fish once or twice a week than to eat unhealthy alternatives daily.

Fish is very simple to pan fry.
    Heat your pan to a medium heat. Add oil and wait til you oil is hot. Add fish to pan (make sure you dried both sides of the fish with a paper towel or it will stick). Cook the fish on the first side 60-70% through. You'll see the flesh turn opaque. (Do not touch the fish with a spatula until the 60-70% is done, you will tear the fillet and it will stick to your pan)

Flip the fish and cook for a minute or so and it should be done. Depending on the thickness, it shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Sole is a disgusting bottom feeder. It's healthier to eat the insole of your gym shoes. Just because it has protein and low fat doesn't mean it's good for you!

Please do research before putting *kitten* into your body.

WTH?

Also there are several fish called 'sole'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sole_(fish)

The 'sole' I was buying in France was more flavorful and quite pricey, so I somehow don't see how that is a 'disgusting bottom feeder'.

Anyway, I'm lazy and just bake the fish in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes. Or grill it on the foreman.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

Eat less fish if it's not in your budget. Bottom feeders like tilapia and sole are not healthy for you. Sure they might be high in protein and low in fat but they also carry a *kitten* ton of toxins. It's better to eat quality fish once or twice a week than to eat unhealthy alternatives daily.

lol ok which fish do you suggest
  • Reesesayspeaces
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

WTH?

Also there are several fish called 'sole'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sole_(fish)

The 'sole' I was buying in France was more flavorful and quite pricey, so I somehow don't see how that is a 'disgusting bottom feeder'.

The sole you bought from England and France is not the same Sole in the U.S.

It's truly a fraudulent product. American Sole is not even in the same family as real sole.
  • Reesesayspeaces
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    lol ok which fish do you suggest

The west coast definitely has an advantage over the easy on fish. I'm not too sure what is most popular in the east coast but I like salmon, halibut, tuna, trout just to name a few of the common ones.

One thing New York as an advantage of is the plentifulness of oysters and mussels. Mussels have 18 g of protein per cup.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    The simplest is to cook fish fillets. If you cannot afford fresh, use frozen and let them defrost overnight in the fridge. Brush a very hot non stick skillet with oil, sprinkle the fish with salt, and cook for a few minutes each side. You can use any seasoning or herbs you like, or just add a bit of fresh lemon juice before serving.
  • chrysalis2015
    chrysalis2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks for the suggestions. Hadn't thought about mussels/clams - and I like mussels....just never made them myself. :)
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I buy the frozen fillets. They are cheap, and quick to cook.

I take them straight from the freezer, add a little oil to a pan, and cook on med-low, covered, for 3-4 min on each side.

I season with salt, pepper and garlic then a squeeze of lemon after cooking.

They cook in the same amount of time as a bag of microwave steam veggies. Dinner in less than 10 minutes.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

There's nothing wrong with sole, or sugar either, for that matter. Take a deep breath, stop cussing (which is rude and against the rules), and don't criticize other people's food choices.
  • mccindy72
    Options

You should be able to get salmon fillets, flounder, swai, and other affordable pieces frozen at the local grocery stores. Any of these are easy to fry up quickly, just a few minutes on each side over medium heat. Season with a little salt, smoked paprika and garlic salt. Or some Old Bay fish seasoning. Or whatever your choice may be, it can be fun to experiment. I like using dill, myself.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If I buy farm raised fish, I only buy US farmed fish -- this means that the FDA has regulated what the fish ate when they were alive. :)
    If I buy ocean fish, I take my chances.
  • shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Now see here sir, we at the State Bar do not approve of your usage of the words "disgusting bottom feeder". We may be bottom feeders, yes, but many of us are reasonably groomed, use knives and forks and even have passable table manners. Not all of us bottom feeders are disgusting.

Respectfully submitted,
    oC, Esquire.

Now see here sir, we at the State Bar do not approve of your usage of the words "disgusting bottom feeder". We may be bottom feeders, yes, but many of us are reasonably groomed, use knives and forks and even have passable table manners. Not all of us bottom feeders are disgusting.

Respectfully submitted,
    oC, Esquire.

Respectfully submitted,
    oC, Esquire.

LOL. Funniest thing I read all day heh heh ;)
  • Reesesayspeaces
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with sole, or sugar either, for that matter. Take a deep breath, stop cussing (which is rude and against the rules), and don't criticize other people's food choices.

I apologize. I'm a classically trained chef and I am very passionate about food. I just hate seeing people mislead into making unhealthy choices by clever marketing tactics.

Catfish, swai and tilapia are great to have as a meal every now and then (no more than a dozen times a year) but they are not healthy for you. They carry tons of toxins. You'd be very surprised to know how lenient the regulations are on farm raised.

I've done my research and am truly educated on these matters. If you have any questions in regards to cooking, feel free to ask.

Fun fact: did you know a banana is actually an herb and not a fruit? Haha
  • mccindy72
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

I apologize. I'm a classically trained chef and I am very passionate about food. I just hate seeing people mislead into making unhealthy choices by clever marketing tactics.

Catfish, swai and tilapia are great to have as a meal every now and then (no more than a dozen times a year) but they are not healthy for you. They carry tons of toxins. You'd be very surprised to know how lenient the regulations are on farm raised.

I've done my research and am truly educated on these matters. If you have any questions in regards to cooking, feel free to ask.

Fun fact: did you know a banana is actually an herb and not a fruit? Haha

Another one? And no, there are no 'unhealthy' choices about food as long as you aren't eating that particular food for every meal.
    Let's not get lost in the semantics of labeling fruit vs vegetables, etc. The OP is just asking about cooking fish.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be too worried about whether or not the fish you are buying is frozen. If you buy the flash frozen stuff that is good quality it's basically caught, cut, and frozen immediately. Not bad at all.