Question for those of you have lost a large amount of weight

Options
How did you successfully lose the weight? Did you calorie count, follow a plan such as Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, South Beach, or Atkins etc.?

Very long story short...... between 2002 and 2004 I lost 120 pounds. I kept most of it off until I started trying to conceive my second child in late 2009. During the 5 months it took to get pregnant and the 9 months of pregnancy I gained a whooping 99 pounds back :( I know how to lose the weight I have done it before, but this time I NEED it to be more than just weight loss. I NEED it to be a life change. I am currently a nursing student working on getting my BSN, and I need to be a good example to my patients and my family. I am not looking for a miracle cure or an over night fix, I know better than that... I just need to get over the overwhelmed feeling of having to do this all over again, and need to make sure it never happens again.
I have never been successful unless I was following a strict program (Nutrisystem, or Atkins), so I feel really unsure of myself and unsure where to go from here....

Replies

• Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I have stuck with My Fitness Pal and it is working for me. 50 pounds so far. I have logged in exercise (power walking) and food intake every single day since starting. It works for me.

I also joined TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly). TOPS gives me an inexpensive ($26 ? per year) to weigh in.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I lived healthier... no great secret in that. I started losing a long time before I had ever heard of MFP.

We all know what we're not supposed to eat... cutting out all the crap and starting to exercise makes a huge difference.

I used to live under the golden arches... I was constantly making a run for the border, I had KFC on speed dial... this wasn't good.

I started exercising when I realized that DIET alone wasn't sufficient. I reached a point where I realized... that too was doomed for failure unless I changed the way I lived.

Lifestyle... eating healthy and exercising.

It isn't a big secret.

Not some coded message.

Its a commitment to living healthy that wins the race.

Good Luck on your journey!
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Well welcome, first of all! As for me, i didn't follow any commercial plan. I just startedmaking healthier eating choices (subsituting whole wheats for whites, cutting back on sweets and sugars, watching portion sizes, carefully examining the nutritional content of foods, meticulously use MFP and log all foods and exercise, increasing vegetable intake, cutting out processed foods, and most importantly, I started exercising and doing it A LOT! I found I had to start moving and keep moving. I increased my caloric intake with the exercise and the weight is still coming off. I lost 45 pounds since January 19. That's how I've been doing it. Have more to lose before I meet my goal but this is working for me. Nothing is a quick fix and slow and steady wins the race to a lifestyle change.

Best of luck! I'll send a friend request. We could support each other. No pressure to accept :)
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't follow any plans because I want to keep it off forever. This is not a diet for me. I eat what I want, just smaller portions. And I have days that aren't the best but I just move on to the next day & keep going. I don't usually go over on calories, try to eat lots of veggies, and I drink alot of water. I usually only drink water. I will use the flavor packets when I feel like I need something besides plain water. And I exercise. I feel so much better when I exercise & I am alot stronger.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 30 pounds by just changing what I ate. Making healthy choices rather than senseless eating. It took using MFP to count my calories and control how MUCH good food I was taking in to drop the 40 pounds after that.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am by no means perfect. And I don't really know if the weight I have lost so far qualifies me as an expert in anything. But for me, what appears to be working is not a diet, nor specifically counting calories, or something one could really categorize. I consider it to be more of a lifestyle choice than a diet. It comes down to making a shift in two areas: Food, and Exercise.

Food - Prompted by a health scare (doctor said blood sugars were too high), I decided to stop eating and drinking what was, for me at least, toxic material. Suff like fast food. Soft drinks. Chips. Pizza. Pastas. Breads. Even juice. I made a commitment to myself to use my brain and think--really think--about what I was going to consume each day. And that required reading as much as I could to do my body right by myself. One book really has helped me immensely, and that is Michael Pollan's "Food Rules." It is a cheap paperback and a very quick read, but I use it as a reference and also as a bit of inspiration, and even gave a copy to a friend. I drink only water now, and don't miss the soft drinks I was addicted to in the slightest. And while I still consume some things that give me slight pause, for the most part, I am eating quality items.

Exercise - I made a commitment to myself to do some form of cardio three days a week, strength training three days a week, and give my body one day a week of "rest," where I don't feel compelled to do any exercise at all (unless I really really feel the need to). Starting out trying to run, it was more of a waddle, and then it was a lot of walking with a little running mixed in. For strength training, I was shocked at first at how much I COULD NOT lift or how many push ups I was limited to. But it has slowly and steadily been getting better.

Finally, I told myself that whatever I do, in both food and exercise, I had to do it alone, with no one urging me to carry on despite the inevitable challenges and setbacks. I think of it as sort of a solo adventure--like a climb up a mountain. If someone else has to haul me up the mountain, then I can't say I climbed it. Sure you get assists along the way. We all do. But the impetus must come from within. And also, whatever I do, it has to be a liveable, realistic experience, not something temporary. It has to be a complete lifestyle that I can do day in, day out, every day, for however long I have left on the journey.

Anyway, that sort of sums it up. I think it's an interesting question you ask, and I am sure you will get a lot of great responses, but this is the best I can offer. In some way, I hope it's helpful. Good luck to you and no matter what you do, I hope it is a fun and healthy experience!
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your support! I one thing that I have noticed from a lot of the successful people on here is that most are not on some restricted weight loss program or expensive weight loss plan. Most simply did it though eating the right amounts of the right foods and to get their bodies moving!
    I have a lot to think about as far as my diet goes. I eat well, however I think I fear calories and restrict myself too much and thus it works against me most of the time.
    Thanks again, I really have some thinking to do. It's time I get REAL with myself! I have lost near 45 pounds since my son was born in November, however it has been a mix between Nutrisystem, Atkins and the 17 Day Diet. It's time to STOP following a "diet" and make a commitment to change my lifestyle!
  • escam02g
    escam02g Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have lost 80 lbs over the past 16 months using my fitness pal and cardio 30 minutes a day. The greatest help with "my fitness pal" is the awareness of what I actually eat and the calories associated with the various foods. I was never taught to eat "correctly" from a "quality of food" perspective. Being aware has created the catalyst for making the famous "life style" change that is needed to keep the weight off. Permanent choices are required, but they are not sacrifices rather choices for better health. Tools that I use other than my fitness pal are:
    - mile stone goals, ten lbs or pant size changes; reward yourself when achieved with clothes and donating bigger clothes to good will.
    - share; communicate on face book, co-workers, friends, etc.... What you are doing and why? A management philosophy around "commitment to consistency" works. This pretty much states that people's behaviours tend to be motpst consistent with commitments made. Public commitments are the best, we are too afraid/embarrassed to fail in front of everyone.
    -be active; walk, run, golf, scuba dive - do something that is physical and for you.
    -determination; want to be healthy!
    Good Luck and be determined,
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    I've lost and gain a million times over the years and have never been able to feel like I was doing it for the right reasons or that I was making a true lifestyle change. I also know that it has to be a realistic plan that I can make a part of my life forever. I've done EVERY commercial diet known to man (that may be a slight stretch) and have even had unsuccessful weight loss surgery. I'm done 41 pounds since March 15 and feel amazing and like I'm not deprived. I'm writing down everything I eat and focusing on a calories, increased protein, and excercise at least 3 times a week. It is possible and this site helps sooooooo much. I'm still a long long way from my ultimate goal but my attitute is different, my motivation is great, my support system is strong, and I feel like I'm succeeding.

Kristie
  • milwaukeemarker
    Options
    I have the great privilage of working with the members of TOPS-Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a not-for-profit, non-commercial weight loss organization that is the oldest in the U.S. It started in 1948 in Milwaukee and today has grown to 160,000 members in more than 8,000 chapters in the U.S. and Canada.
    TOPS is a remarkable organization that focuses on the individual, setting practical goals, plans and tools all developed with the help of healthcare professionals. There are weekly weigh-ins, informational and educational presentations, meal plans, advice and support.
    Temple University researchers recently concluded it makes little difference if a person uses a low-fat or low-carb diet. Both are about equally effective. What makes the difference is support, a TOPS keystone.
    I've spoken with dozens and dozens of members over the years and all say the same thing: that they couldn't have done it without TOPS and the support of fellow members, even when they don't lose a pound or may even gain a little. There's never a derogatory remark-just encouragement to continue. And it works. TOPS annual fee is $26 plus a modest ($5 or so) local chapter fee to cover the cost of office supplies, copying, coffee, etc.
    TOPS also supports medical research through the TOPS Obesity and Metabolic Center at the Medical College of Wisconsin.
    Visit www.tops.org for details and to find a chapter near you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    One thing i found using MFP was that because you only have a certain number of calories, you HAVE to choose more carefully and more healthily to not go over, and over time you learn the better options and they become habit. So its not just a diet, but a lifestyle change.

I also now try to work out a minimum of 3 times a week, which i think will be totally doable when i get to the point of maintaining.

Good Luck!
  • mirandalowman
    Options
    i just read everyone story and it make me feel like i can achieve my weight lose goals. i know that i have to have will power and motivation. i think this will really help me.