Frightened of being a new weight...

Options
jmgj27
jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
So, I'm now around 20lbs away from my goal and I'm reaching the point where I haven't been this weight since before I hit puberty. I know this sounds like an odd thing to say but I've no idea what I'll look like when I get there. I think I'm frightened of being disappointed - you know...I've lost all this weight and I'm not actually that attractive underneath all the flab. I still don't believe I can do it (all evidence to the contrary).

Anybody got any tips as to how to stop myself freaking out about this and focussing on losing the final 20lbs or so?

Replies

• Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    I was the SAME way! I
    I'd get close to my goal and then stop... Idk why I do it. On the biggest loser the ppl on there say, they dont feel they really deserve it. I used to feel like i'm that size 16 girl still, but I'm over that now! I got a life to live. lol. good luck.
  • flyingspatulas
    flyingspatulas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think what helps me is knowing that it won't happen overnight. The change will be gradual, and by the time you hit your goal, you'll be used to the way you look! At least, that's what I keep telling myself. ;)
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    This is a really good topic.

I can't help you unfortunately because you're where I HOPE to be with time.

However, I can say you've raised a really good question and you're not the only one to feel like this.

My sister told me that she was scared of reaching her goal weight once, when she was in a UK size 14 and she was struggling to lose weight she told me that she wasn't sure if she wasn't sabotaging her own weight loss subconsciously because she wasn't sure if she was "ready" to be slim again.

The truth is, support and advice isn't really out there for people who are returning or becoming a healthy size from once being overweight - people think that because you are slim you are happy.

Interestingly enough, LighterLife offers support groups which discuss "the ego" etc when their members are on their diet... It's something perhaps that has been overlooked by others.

I don't think you will be disappointed, you'll be proud of yourself because you should be, which only leads to happiness within, and if there are things that you still want to chhange, that just shifts the focus that you've been able to apply to your weightloss goals to something else.
  • nfanning3
    nfanning3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i agree, you will be use to looking this way and will warm up to the new you...just try your best to appreciate it. my biggest regret is never enjoying it and always being so critical that when i had my last child and lost the body i had worked for, i realize i never knew what i had. enjoy your new you! you have worked so hard!