What do you add to your strawberry protein shake?

Options
phuckMFP
phuckMFP Posts: 58 Member
In order to combat the taste, I usually add the following to my strawberry protein shakes: fruit, fruit juice, yogurt, probiotic, and protein powder. Needless to say, the grams of sugar and the calories are spiking way up!

I can't stand the taste of simply water or milk with protein powder, and I don't want the added sugar/calories of fruit juice. Any tips on how to simplify these shakes without totally expending the taste would be great :) Thank you in advance!

Replies

• slkorum
    slkorum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use frozen fruit
  • xBijinx
    xBijinx Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I also add frozen fruit. That and ice helps me stomach the taste of powder
  • Jonny15121983
    Jonny15121983 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    If you eat bananas and like me there are always a few that go off then freeze them, you MUST peel them before freezing! Then simply chuck a frozen banana in with the strawberry protein powder and skimmed milk, the frozen banana also gives it that nice frostiness too. If you find that it is just too sweet however then banana won't be for you, in that case I like to add a whole kiwi :)
  • friendlymush
    friendlymush Posts: 26 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Tried this recipe this morning and it was delish! Almost like a strawberry cheesecake pudding.

1 scoop Quest Strawberries n Cream protein powder
    1 lite vanilla Greek yogurt (I used Kroger brand, but I love the dannon light n fit too)
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract (could probably use butter extract or some kind of cheesecake flavoring)

Blend up on highest setting. Might need to scrape the mixture down with a spatula a few times or add a little almond/soy/cashew milk. Comes out to 180 cals, 0 g fat, 10 g carb, 35 g protein!! I did bloat afterwards though cause it's so much dairy lol. I bet it would also be good with frozen banana substituted for the yogurt but would result in more sugar and less protein.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I second the banana! A frozen peeled banana will do wonders in shakes!
    I like to spice things up with nut butters though - generally 2 tbsp per scoop of protein powder and cup of milk or water is perfect for me. I can't stand regular milk with protein, but I like unsweetened almond milk, vanilla soymilk, or even surprisingly coconut water (which slightly sweetens it)!
    You can use regular peanut butter, almond butter, cookie butter, or any other variety nut butter out there! For extra fun I use flavored nut butters such as Justin's vanilla maple almond butter or Jif's cookies & cream hazelnut spread.
    With strawberry protein powder it makes it like a more impressive and grown up peanut butter and jelly ;) I assume adding graham crumbles would be good, too (especially if you use Meta-Mucil's cinnamon wafers to get fiber in there while you're at it).
    Experiment! ;D
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I put PB2 in mine, tastes like pb&j - yum!