ran my first 5k today

Options
lcnelson
lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
Three months ago, I decided to change my life. First I began to walk and gradually started to run. Then I began to eat healthy....kind of a Bill Phillips approach to eating small meals all day. THEN I found this website about 3 weeks ago and have become addicted to logging in my food and exercise and analyzing my progress. I have found excellent advice and inspiration on these 'blogs' I found shortly after joining.

Anyhow, I ran my first 5k today and have now been 'officially' bittten by the running bug. I was worried I was not going to be able to run the entire way and almost did not even show up this morning. But I figured, 'why not conquer this fear' and get it over with. I knew I would not be the only one walking. Needless to say, I surprised myself and RAN THEN ENTIRE WAY, and managed to finish in 35 minutes!! I was shocked and absolutely on cloud nine as a month ago I had brochitis and pneumonia:)

So basically, this is giving it all back to you who gave it to me....Don't be afraid to try new things, or start over if you fall off the wagon. Three months ago I weighed 205 pounds and could not walk up my stairs without being out of breath. I now weigh 183 and can run 3 miles without stopping!! NEVER say never!!

Good luck to you all and keep posting....You have truly helped me change my life!

Replies

• beachbum45
    beachbum45 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your accomplishment! Keep up the good work.:smile:
  • beachbum45
    beachbum45 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your accomplishment! Keep up the good work.:smile:
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! And watch out, races are strangely addictive :-) Next you'll be training for 10Ks, and half-marathons :bigsmile:
  • cmg2008
    cmg2008 Posts: 139
    Options
    congrats on your first 5k!
  • Margot18904
    Options
    Well done, that's a fantastic achievement!
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    wow you are inspiring me! This is one of my goals. I am doing C25K right now (week 3). Any tips??

Huge congratulations! Well done!
  • PandaFit450
    PandaFit450 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Congratulations on your first 5K!
    Jules x
  • shazzabir
    shazzabir Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I am doing my first 5k in a couple of weeks :-)
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Well done. What a great post. Just what i need to hear. Starting couch to 5k in the morning.
    Any advice for newbies?

X
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I now weigh 183 and can run 3 miles without stopping!! NEVER say never!!

hey, it's 3.1 miles!! don't forget that extra tenth of a mile you ran!

:flowerforyou:
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and encouragement! I wish I had a magic recipe for running. I wlll tell you I do 3 miles (at least half run/walk) 4-5 times a week and my park has some hills. The reason the hills are important is that is where I find I lose the most steam. My first 5k was largely a flat course and I know it was one of the reasons I was able to run continually. So see if the course is flat or hilly...they should tell you.
    And YES, I spent the majority of the day yesterday signing up for another 5k in 2 weeks, and my goal is do a 10k in
    Sept/Oct. I did not do the C25k, but just downloaded the bridge to 10k to help in next step! Not sure how it will all pan out, but I am super excited and have a goal now!

Good Luck to you all!
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Wow - well done on this, and thanks for posting. Posts like this always cheer me up, and spur me on to do the same, so thank you!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishment! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! You deserve to be proud!