starting running from tomorrow any tips ??

Options
Im 78 kgs aiming to be 60 kgs in 6 months. So im planning to start with cardio 5 times a week.3 days running and two days of zumba.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Have you been fit for running shoes?

Are you following a plan?
  • sameep_5662
    sameep_5662 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nothing as yet
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nothing as yet

Do those things before you actually start running, that's my advice.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    That ^ But check out the couch to 5k running plan as well. Skip any weeks you find too easy and don't be afraid to repeat any weeks that you find tough.
    Enjoy it :)
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Start off slowly. You don't need to run fast, though you will naturally get faster over time. It's okay to do a combination of running/jogging with some walking breaks mixed in if you need to...that's what I did. You can increase the length of time you actually run very quickly if you stick with it.

After you build up a good base and get used to it and have better endurance, you can add in some interval workouts for additional benefit and to keep it interesting. But keep it simple at the beginning.
  • photojunk
    photojunk Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What is your current ability? have you run in the past?
    Start out slow with run and walk intervals. Leg muscles take time to adapt to running and you wouldn't want to give yourself shin splints by running to much in the beginning. I found jump training helped my running strength and in itself is very good cardio. Jumping Jacks, star jumps, long jumps, jump lunges etc.
  • 4987hamm
    4987hamm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Advise from someone who's hated running forever and has asthma..I've learned to love it. It's still hard... but I enjoy it. It's freedom to me.
    What I did: I started just running around my block. I wasn't far from home if I had an attack or got too tired. Each time, take less walk breaks and go a little further.
    If youre running outaide, don't necessarily dress for the cold weather. If you layer up, once you get moving, you're going to get hot and sweat. You take off a jacket, you then have to carry it and that doesn't make for an enjoyable run.
    You can map your runs on Google map, I believe, so you know how far you'll be going.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    good shoes

good running kit

suggest hrm strap + gps watch

then run

don't overdo at the beginning

and don't be too much at deficit, you need fuel
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Don't overdo it. Cardio 5 days a week seems like a lot to start with. Allow your body to adjust or you will burn out (or get injured).

Shoes and a plan are important. Both can be found a good running store. Don't be afraid to ask questions there.
  • sameep_5662
    sameep_5662 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanku guys
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    As it's been mentioned - c25k. I've never been a runner but I am improving since I started using the app. I'm on week 1, day 3. I'm 78kg and aiming to be 70kg by Christmas. I found keeping my shoulders relaxed helps. The first time I went, I had an aching neck, shoulders and back. Now I relax, and feel so much better for it during and afterwards. I haven't been fitted for proper shoes yet, I will make the investment once I am certain that running is something that I want to do and not just a phase. There is also a c25k group on here if this is of interest to you. More importantly have fun and good luck.