Probiotics

Options
I've been looking into several brands to start using. Especially since I found out those in Yogurt are useless! So I'm just wondering the brands that are most used by other FB members! And have you tried some that were pointless to buy?

Replies

• MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i used one a day trubiotics. its a small gel filled capsule so it easily goes down.
    it did its job but, activia vanilla yogurt to me was just as helpful when eating daily.
    not all yogurts are created equal, activia does work IMO.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The probiotics in yogurt are actually not useless. As long as you keep eating it daily or near daily they do their job, but they don't colonize the gut. I don't use any brand. I actually ferment my own food (pickles, kimchi, sauerkraut) and make milk kefir on and off depending whether I'm in the mood to drink it.
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Forget ready made stuff as they're full of sugar. Make your own kefir from kefir grains. I got mine on ebay.
  • apeydawn423
    apeydawn423 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is full of sugar. Sugar causes the bad bacteria to grow in your belly so sugar in the yogurt would cancel out the good stuff. They say you should be getting at least 10 strains and so many million a day so I'm just looking for a supplement.
  • apeydawn423
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Oh, I eat plain yogurt so it doesn't have anything but natural sugar. You *should* get a lot of probiotics per day but once your gut is properly colonized, if you're eating the type of probiotics that do colonize, you don't have to eat/supplement probiotics daily. You can skip from time to time if you want. Probiotics are really really good for you so I hope you find a way that works for you.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is full of sugar. Sugar causes the bad bacteria to grow in your belly so sugar in the yogurt would cancel out the good stuff. They say you should be getting at least 10 strains and so many million a day so I'm just looking for a supplement.

don't remember name but, NOW has one with the 10 strains and ?? billions in it. was going to be the one i tried next if the activia did not work out for me (you don't always need all strains btw). i used other NOW products and was happy with them so it should be a good one.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like Swanson's Lactobacillus Gasseri and am taking Nutrition Now PB 8® Pro-Biotic Acidophilus For Life™ -- 14 billion from Vitacost right now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

don't remember name but, NOW has one with the 10 strains and ?? billions in it. was going to be the one i tried next if the activia did not work out for me (you don't always need all strains btw). i used other NOW products and was happy with them so it should be a good one.

I tried to find it for you but NOW has lots of different types of Acidophilus: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods/Acidophilus

I'm currently using FutureBiotics, Longest Living Acidophilus but might try something from NOW next as they tend to have very good prices.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options

Depending on the type of sugar. Some sugars actually help refuel the healthy bacteria that resides in your gut already
  • apeydawn423
    Options
    well my reasoning for taking it to begin with is because I am very much a sugar addict and I'm sure I've created havoc in my gut lol. So, I want to take Supplement to get me started fixing my mess!!
  • vicshit
    vicshit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I take a "Pearl" Probiotic everyday, they make several different ones.