Insanity **help!!!

Options
annziexo
annziexo Posts: 90 Member
edited September 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi there!

I've just done my first day of plyo cardio circuit and couldn't manage longer than 20 minutes! Is this normal?

I completed the test yesterday, just about managed it all and was given the go ahead by my GP.

Should I try again the same DVD tomorrow or move on to the next days DVD? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

JadE

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will matter in the long run whether you do the first DVD or the second. The more you do this the stronger you get :) Rinse and repeat!!
  • photojunk
    photojunk Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself, if 20 minutes is your threshold today push for 21 minutes next time. Plyometrics is tough and to finish 20 minutes of it first time round is pretty good.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    As long as you are taking the necessary breaks, pat yourself on the back and try harder next time.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Stick to the schedule ...try to modify if the moves are too challenging and keep at it . Tmrw you may do only 22 mins but it still counts. Ensure your form is correct as you can easily injure yourself.

Also take measurements ...I lost inches before the lbs came off.

The first time I did insanity I did realise I was not ready for it and didn't want to risk injury. I switched to JM 30 day shred and then did insanity. Now I love shaun T workouts and still do a couple workouts for cardio.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. Stick with the schedule and keep on pushing. You'll become stronger and better as you move along. Don't see this as a failure, you're a work in progress! If you keep on doing the same workout until you're satisfied with your performance, you'll quit before the end.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    If you couldn't complete it, then you're not conditioned for it. To get conditioned, you use repetition and consistency.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • annziexo
    annziexo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Thank you ever so much for your advise. Before doing insanity I did JM 30 day shred and some of her other DVDs which is why I want to push myself harder to insanity. I will continue and just hope for the best!

Turns out I am not the only one who struggled with the first plyo cardio as I've been searching the web and many others have also struggled after 20 minutes but continued the next day onwards and improved.

Thanks again!

Jade

• MissPauling
    MissPauling Posts: 33 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I think Plyo is the hardest workouts of them all (of the regular ones). When I do it after a break it gives me so sore muscles I can not walk for days, and even though I workout regularly for months now I can't manage to do the last circuit without breaks (I fail on the burpees after around 6, then stay flat on the floor, manage to do a few ski abs, then lie dead on the floor, then manage to do a few in & out). In and out is the absolute worst!

Just stick to it, take little breaks, and push yourself as much as possible. The improvements will come quickly!
  • 4987hamm
    4987hamm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just continue on the schedule. You do what you can, you'll get better and the videos will become easier!
    That's why you do the tests, to realize how much stronger your body is getting :)
  • ba502
    ba502 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It is often stated thru each workout to take breaks as needed and even the people on the DVD have to take breaks. A lot of people (including me) had a hard time just getting through his warm up on Insanity without stopping. Be consistent and push hard and you will see improvements. I know I did.