What cheat day does to you

Options

Replies

• doralim1990
    doralim1990 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    @PinkPixiexox i recently increase my food intake as long as its homemade and wholefood i never really count it.

Homemade and wholefood still have calories.

Believe me ... some of the stuff I used to bake had CALORIES. There was this one carrot cake ... WOW.

Yes of course, the point here is i dont really care about my calorie intake. I just eat until i am full and satisfied and be able to function properly and do my workouts.

But all of my homemade foods are low salt, low fat, low sugar. Unlike the food that i had this whole day.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Okay then. Do your thing. If you stop losing weight start logging your...food, which it sounds like you don't count anything you make yourself. And cut back on your cheat day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Okay then. Do your thing. If you stop losing weight start logging your...food, which it sounds like you don't count anything you make yourself. And cut back on your cheat day.

Yep ... this ^^

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    @PinkPixiexox i recently increase my food intake as long as its homemade and wholefood i never really count it.

Believe me ... some of the stuff I used to bake had CALORIES. There was this one carrot cake ... WOW.

Can I try some! :D
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I don't plan cheat days. I just know that I may end up in a situation where I'm going to make a poor eating choice, and I do my best to accommodate that. For instance, last night I had In-N-Out for dinner. Today I will be eating lightly for breakfast and lunch to make up for it.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't ever have planned cheat days or meals ... First of all because I'm working hard to (positively) redefine my relationship with food and so I don't attach connotations to food. Food is fuel. It's not good or bad or dirty or cheating if I eat something vs. something else. It's all just food.

Since I've started lifting and realizing how important it is for me to fuel my body, I've been giving myself more leniency to eat at a smaller deficit and honestly, I feel great about it. I don't ever feel the need to overeat to the point of making myself sick or feeling guilty. However, there are some days when I eat at maintenance. Sometimes those are planned and sometimes I only figure out it's going to be one of those days when I'm halfway through it, but I never feel bad about it. It's just about being flexible and making sustainable changes.

And what do you know ... I'm feeling better and have been losing more consistently (so far) than I ever have before.

From my personal experience, out of control eating (or eating to the point of making yourself sick) is directly linked with deprivation, or at least feeling deprived. Maybe something to think about it. But in the meantime, brush it off and move on.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Last Monday I ate somewhere around or over 2,000 calories, including a big ol' burger w/mayo on it, hotdog, baked beans, potato salad and topped it off with a slice of German chocolate cake and a scoop of ice cream.

It was not a cheat day, it was Labor day and we cooked out and had fun. It didn't set me back and I still even lost a pound this week.

Life is life and we only have one of them, so eat, drink and be merry, just don't overdo it every day.
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    OOOOH MAN!!! cheating it up today...buffalo chicken dip...probably glass of coke and rum...and yep I did the pumpkin spice latte this morning.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I hope it helped you psychologically. You do need to zone in the next week. It is ok to have dirty cheat days once every 2-3 weeks.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I cheated today, ate a giant bag of Tesco's finest cheddar and onion crisps, about 800 calories for the whole bag. They were absolutely delicious, I don't know if it's because I haven't had crisps in 13 months or if they are just that good but I enjoyed them. I will make up those calories before my next weigh in on Saturday so whatever.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP as others have said, I don't really have cheat days. I fit the foods I love into my daily alotment, in moderation.

Also if you aren't counting calories of your homemade food how do you know you eat around 1200 normally and that you ate 2000 yesterday?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    That's the day to pick up the iron, because you weren't in a deficit :)

I'm in maintenance/recomp/mini bulk, so I can eat what I like, within limits. I'm trying to add muscle now.

But when I was losing, I had a nice dessert or a piece of real lasagna, etc, in non-diet portion sizes about every 10 days. Sometimes once a week, sometimes over two weeks. I didn't know if I could stick to it without planning for my cravings. I also ate things like counted-out Hershey's kisses during my regular period of trying to lose weight. But I used to look forward to having a nice (still reasonable) dessert in a few days when my cravings hit, lol.

But at maintenance that's all it takes for me, too: just not indulging too often.

I never did cheat days. It could easily be a whole cheat meal if at a festival or party, but on those days I didn't eat a pastry for breakfast, too, or anything :D
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options

That is definitely one of the best things I've heard around here in a while! :)
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I consumed probably 4-5000 calories today. Had a crappy breakfast, ruby tuesday salad bar, raspberry tea, and shrimp pasta, tons of junk in between there and dinner which was chicken nuggets and tater tots. I am currently paying the price of all the sodium with swollen hands and feet but Starting with work tonight is a new day. Moving on. Im not perfect but Ive learned to not let a bad day ruin a good thing.
    I dont call this a cheat day. I call it having an off day. (Off meaning I just dont feel satisfied not a day off )
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options

Can I try some! :D

:grin:

I think about that cake now and then, and just shake my head. But it was good. Really good. With good ingredients ... it had something like 3 or 4 cups of shaved carrot. Carrots are good for us. :grin: Of course there was a small mountain of sugar too ...
  • cafeaulait7
    Options

That is definitely one of the best things I've heard around here in a while! :)

Hey, when life hands you lemons, make Limoncello and enjoy! :)

• cafeaulait7
    Options
    To be clear on mine, I didn't make it fit. It was a treat. So that 400 calorie treat could be 400 calories over what I was allowed one day , but I'm the patient sort, so the (theoretical) slower rate of loss didn't bother me. I can't say I always noticed it in my weigh-ins, so that was an extra plus :)
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Be less restrictive and you won't have as many cheat days. You can incorporate any food into your daily calories.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Just work it off

You only ate calories, that are fuel for your body. So just burn them off.

Nothing mystical going on

No dirty food

No cheat meals

You ate a bunch of fuel so just own it and burn it off.

There is no need for a special day or term. If there is, then that would seem you have a relationship issue with food.