BMR or MFP calorie goal?

Options
I'm a little confused about what I should pick as my calorie goal. I saw a registered dietician who suggested setting my goal at 1900, which is my BMR. (I'm 5'3" and 285.) But this is so much higher than any calorie goal I've ever tried in a past diet. MFP says I should be at 1330 to lose 2 pounds a week. Obviously that's a lot lower than my BMR. And I know I can add in exercise calories, but I've heard that's really inaccurate.

Which is right: BMR or MFP? I'd obviously love to eat more food, but I have a lot of weight to lose, and I don't want it to take forever. What are your thoughts here?

Replies

• sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would always go with the lower one. I always keep my calories really low and have been doing completely fine on MFP.... If you feel like you're not eating enough (even though you will feel your hunger pains the first week as you're getting used to eating the right amount rather than constant eating), then you can always try to increase your calories a little but I would probably just go with more filling-low calorie foods instead.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat back properly calculated exercise calories which is why it is lower than other sites that include exercise in their formulas. The 1900 calories recommended by your dietitian is a 400 calorie daily deficit if you don't exercise and fall into the sedentary category. If you are exercising, that deficit grows.

• tthoma5201
    tthoma5201 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't go with the lower one. I use this website here to get my calorie totals:

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

It has worked for me so far. I am 40 lbs. down and steadily losing 2 lbs. a week. I didn't put it on overnight so I don't expect to lose it fast either. I also do not eat back the calories when I exercise.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'd personally go with somewhere in between. If I ate at my BMR I wouldn't lose much because I'm completely sedentary a lot of the time. But at the same time, if you start too low, you won't be able to lower them further once you lose without feeling pretty hungry.
  • Andrea222
    Andrea222 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if anyone has had a good, steady weight loss on their BMR?