How many calories do you burn per day and how many times a week??

Options
I'm just wondering on average how many calories you burn a day and how many you eat??
Also, do you find heart rate monitors accurate when it comes to measuring calories burnt?

I workout 5 days a week. 3 days a week I have a session with my personal trainer and then I do a run about 10km. I burn about 900 calories doing this. On the other 2 days, it's a bit lighter weights and more recovery cardio... probably burn around 400 calories.

Curious about others?
I'm a 23 year old female.. :)

Replies

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I eat in a calorie surplus because I'm trying to build muscle. I eat just over 3000 cals a day. I probably burn (through being alive and exercise 2700 cals a day). A few years ago I used to be a runner. I would run ten miles a day which burned 1100 on top of daily activities. I suppose Heart rate monitors are as good as any method of measuring calories burned.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I burn somewhere between 600-1000 calories daily. I train for a marathon and run a minimum of 10km daily plus a 6 km walk with my dogs. 10 km means around 600 calories. I am 5'6" and 122 lbs. I measure my calorie burn with a Polar multisportswatch and heart rate monitor and I eat most of my burned calories back. I am successfully maintaining my goal weight for about a year now.
  • kirzz92
    kirzz92 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »
    I burn somewhere between 600-1000 calories daily. I train for a marathon and run a minimum of 10km daily plus a 6 km walk with my dogs. 10 km means around 600 calories. I am 5'6" and 122 lbs. I measure my calorie burn with a Polar multisportswatch and heart rate monitor and I eat most of my burned calories back. I am successfully maintaining my goal weight for about a year now.

If you don't mind me asking, how many calories do you eat a day??? I'm worried with the amount of exercises I'm doing I'm going to lose amount lot.. but I'm tiny, 151cm and 44kgs and struggle to eat more than 1500 on the best of days.. I usually only manage around 1200

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is typically around 2200-2500. Sometimes more and sometimes less (like this past week where I've had Bronchitis and can't do anything).

My exercise usually accounts for 200-600 out of the 2200-2500 calories burn. I burn at least 1344 (my estimated BMR) per day; daily activity (cooking, cleaning, chasing my boys, ect) and exercise add on to that base number.

I typically eat around 2000 calories. Sometimes more and sometimes less.

I'm 5'4.5" and weighed in this morning at 127 lbs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,766 Member
    Options
    I'll report from another band of the spectrum: I'm 59, female, getting 350-500 calories of exercise typically 6 days/week, otherwise fairly sedentary. I row (on water), spin, do some minor weight training, and occasionally bike, walk, etc.

I'm 5'5", CW 142.5 (SW 183). I'm currently eating 1400 net, usually eating back all my exercise calories.

I don't have a HRM now (it died), but have used one extensively for the same activities in the past, so I believe I'm estimating exercise calories reasonably realistically, consistent with past HR data.

I seem to be losing about one pound a week now (not positive as I'm inching my calories up to slow weight loss as GW (125-130) gets closer and just went to 1400 from 1300 net about a week ago).
  • tmsix
    tmsix Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    kirzz92 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering on average how many calories you burn a day and how many you eat??
    Varies a lot, average somewhere in the middle: 500-1000 burn and eat 2000 - 3500
    kirzz92 wrote: »
    Also, do you find heart rate monitors accurate when it comes to measuring calories burnt?
    Helpful but not fully accurate, I'm using FitBit Surge with HRM, it is over estimating calorie burn by 25% by my reckoning.

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Last week and only cycling. I lift two days a week and do 1/2 hour of elliptical every weekday morning

I eat what would be maintenance calories and burn off fat. I don't like being hungry of starving.

I also am adding muscle slowly so it is a balancing act to get enough calories 2 days a week and burn off some the other 5.

Your mileage may vary

ztm4qptvf1zb.jpg
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I run between 3.5 to 4.5 miles 6 days a week. I burn about 100 calories per mile regardless of how I accomplish it ie walking vs jogging vs running.