Early morning workouts

Options
torsaer
torsaer Posts: 211 Member
I always set my alarm for 45 mins before I really have to get up (to get the kids to school) thinking I'll work out to a DVD or do some cross training in that time. I ALWAYS end up hitting the snooze button until it's time to really get up. Should I try harder? Is it best to get the working out done first thing?

Replies

• Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:15am six days a week. It IS tough, but more than worth it. The feeling of satisfaction you get knowing your workout is done and dusted for the day is wonderful. I'd suggest you make a point of going to bed earlier. I had to do that (I'm a natural night owl) and now I'm not tired at all :)
    Good luck!
  • fthoodbaby
    fthoodbaby Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts first thing -- becuase when I try to do them after work I find a million excuses not to. I have heard of people that put the alarm across the room so that they can't use the snooze. I don't do that -- but I do sleep in my workout clothes -- except for the socks and shoes, of course. So when I get up I am ready to workout. If I wake and find myself not in the mood to workout, I try something that I don't really consider a workout -- wii tennis, wii zumba, walking on the treadmill while reading, etc.
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    I always set my alarm for 45 mins before I really have to get up (to get the kids to school) thinking I'll work out to a DVD or do some cross training in that time. I ALWAYS end up hitting the snooze button until it's time to really get up. Should I try harder? Is it best to get the working out done first thing?

I do the same thing! I am full of excuses in the morning. The only thing that works for me is working out with a friend. I would really like to get into the habit though, because by the end of the day I have even more excuses
  • brittj0919
    Options
    I do the exact same thing... I even moved my alarm across the room so I would have to physically get out of bed and that still didn't work! I agree I need to go to bed sooner too though... tomorrow is Monday and it's a new day to try again!
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I did this for years ... then I signed up for a boot camp about 6 weeks ago, so I had to get up. I actually found that I loved 'getting my exercise out of the way' and have started exercising early on the days I don't have boot camp. Boot camp has finished now and I'm still getting up early, though it's harder when I only have me to do it for! If you want to try it, see if you can get a buddy to get up early and exercise together, so you feel like you're letting someone other than yourself down!!! That way you can try it, and you might find it works for you ...
  • binglebell
    binglebell Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm no good when it comes to exercise in the mornings, so I meet a friend in the evenings once the kids are in bed (hubby is left in peace for a while!) and we go walking/hiking/cycling or if one of our husbands is working late, we go on the wii fit together or do a work out dvd. Good exercise and a good chance for a chat at the same time... Not to mention the extra support!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    If you are home in the morning (ie, don't have to go to work), I find a good time to work out is after the kids are off to school, coffee and breakfast. Midmorning the gym is less crowded and I'm energized for the day.
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If I don't work out first thing in the am....I will make a gazillion and one excuses why I can't do it the rest of the day. So, I set my alarm for 5:40am, wash my face, brush my teeth, contacts in and out the door 10 minutes later. I also tell my hubby to make me get out of bed when the alarm goes off and not to press the snooze button. The first week I was really annoyed and told him to mind his own business....lol. But now I appreciate it...because I feel so much better working out.
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I do a 6 am bootcamp and never miss it if I am in town. It is hard but SO worth it. You feel like you really did something by 7 am which is awesome and it means I am less stressed about calories. I say give it another shot and see if you can get it going. For me if I don't do it first thing I often get bogged down in work and never get to working out.