Eating

Options
mzleah12
mzleah12 Posts: 8 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Everytime I eat, I never feel full. I always feel the need to just keep eating and I know in order to lose weight I can't just keep stuffing my mouth, I have to eat healthy and exercise or maybe go on a diet. I'm just having trouble watching what I eat, any advice?

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    High fiber and high protein are filling and a lot of times low calorie. Also healthy fats (not too much) can be filling- nuts, seeds, avocados and low fat dairy.
  • thatsillyshana23
    thatsillyshana23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I find that if I only put what I need to eat in front of me and am consistent with that, my stomach will learn to feel full with what I give it. How long have you been having this problem?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lots of fats and protein for satiety.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Technically, you don't have to eat healthy to lose weight. But you can eat a lot more if you stick with healthy foods. They're good for you, too, so it's a great idea to eat them! But if you don't want to eat healthy, you can eat anything and lose weight if you eat little enough.

I focused on my health and the weight loss just started happening. Eating healthy stuff and exercising was..and remains...key for me.

Keep trying new fruits and veggies and try them in new ways. Make them all kinds of ways. Do new things with lean, white meats. Try making your own bread and see just how yummy whole grain breads can be!! Focus on making healthy food that you LIKE.

There is NO reason that eating healthy has to mean depriving yourself of yummy food! Learn to make the healthy stuff in yummy ways and everything you eat will be both a treat and good for you. :smiley:
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Good advice from others. I'm like you and always feel hungry too--and I have been successful maintaining my weight even with a huge appetite. I had to break up my calories into several meals (usually 6-7 a day) so that I could eat more often. Many days I am counting the minutes until my next meal, but I make myself wait. I eat super healthy because, as others have said, you will stay full longer, you can actually eat more volume for the same calories (for example, a bite of a candy bar vs. a whole apple), and plus it's just good for you. I love my food plan and look forward to it every day. Good luck.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I have been in your situation before. I'd eat my meal and as soon as I'd finished, I'd say "Well that didn't fill me up" and reach for more. Try this: Wait 20 minutes after your last mouthful of food. After 20 minutes, ask yourself how you feel. Do you NEED more food, really? You are probably sufficiently full but other factors are making you want to eat (Habit? Boredom?). My advice would be - Find something to distract you. Have a plan in your head like this :- "Once I finish my meal, I am going to read a chapter of my book" or "Once I finish this, I am going to clean my room and organise my wardrobe". This has helped me a LOT.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Drink more water - before, during & after the meal. For me, water is the key in eating "enough"/right amount and feeling full vs. eating too much food & still wanting more.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    In the beginning that was a big issue. Weight loss starts with your mentality. I ate when I was bored. I ate when I was sad. I ate when I was happy. I ate even when I knew I was full. There are moments even now where I feel the overwhelming urge to snack when I'm bored.

Drink water. You need it anyway, and it does stave off the hunger pangs. A lot of the times when you're thirsty the trigger feels very similar to hunger. Get healthy snacks and portion them out to fit within your calories. Do use proteins and complex carbs to your advantage as they will keep you fuller longer. Leafy greens like spinach and even broccoli do wonders to keep you satiated as well. Good luck
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    In addition to what the others have said, I'll also add ... it's OK to feel a bit hungry. Feeling dizzy and weak is going too far, but feeling just a bit empty is all right.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    I have been in your situation before. I'd eat my meal and as soon as I'd finished, I'd say "Well that didn't fill me up" and reach for more. Try this: Wait 20 minutes after your last mouthful of food. After 20 minutes, ask yourself how you feel. Do you NEED more food, really? You are probably sufficiently full but other factors are making you want to eat (Habit? Boredom?). My advice would be - Find something to distract you. Have a plan in your head like this :- "Once I finish my meal, I am going to read a chapter of my book" or "Once I finish this, I am going to clean my room and organise my wardrobe". This has helped me a LOT.

I do this ... I start to feel rumbly in the evening about 9 pm, and I'll tell myself to read another chapter of my homework or whatever ... next thing I know it's 10 pm and time for my pre-logged evening snack. :)

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I think that a lot of this is mental rather than physical. Decide in advance what you will eat and complete your food entry before meals. Than drink water. I eat a pound of raw vegetables daily-yucky asparagus, beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, califlower, you name it. It fills me up and cleans me out. I'm so busy working, shopping, exercising and cooking that last friday night I was just too tired to eat. Also, entering all of that food and seeing how much activity it takes to burn off fat shows me how exepensive food is so I normally eat very well. 15 pounds off the first 48 days.