Les Mils

Options
Anyone do Les Mils on demand?

Replies

• niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I do! But I'm currently using that (Body Combat & Grit) in combination with P90X3
  • mykidsmom1994
    mykidsmom1994 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if I'd like on demand as well as when I go to group classes at the gym. My gym is raising there prices and reducing body combat classes. They are also increasing cize classes and it's not for me.
  • M155y647
    M155y647 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've done all the Les Mills classes and my favs are Body Pump, Body Attack, Body Jam. I just love it! Which gym do u go to? I'm @ GoodLife Fitness.
  • mykidsmom1994
    mykidsmom1994 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sky Fitness. Have you done on demand Les Mils classes?
  • niniundlapin
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I was wondering if I'd like on demand as well as when I go to group classes at the gym. My gym is raising there prices and reducing body combat classes. They are also increasing cize classes and it's not for me.

I was in Body Combat group classes since release #21 and was forced to choose at-home workout plan a year ago because I moved to a city where gyms are too far from where I live. I can tell you the On Demand versions are different since 1) you're at home by yourself now, 2) the On Demand videos are shorter (they cut most of it into 30 min) so not all your favorite parts are gonna be there, and 3) you might need to find something else in combination to reach your daily workout goal instead of going to one or two classes in the gym.

I noticed that they have several workout schedules posted online so you can follow their workout plan by doing different combinations of 30-min videos. Since there's a trial period, I'd say it's not a bad idea to try first and see if you like it that way (arranging workout schedule by yourself).

I'm not sure if I'd choose On Demand if I can still go to a group Body Combat though... since I've been doing that for a decade and sometimes feel like the at-home short version is not intense enough (I used to do BC plus Zumba for 5 times per week and gradually gave up Zumba because it's not the level of cardiac intensity I want).

In summary, these are how I feel so far for using On Demand for about 1.5 month
    Pros: easy access at-home, various classes to choose from, flexible schedule, may be less expensive compared to gym membership ($12/mon), actual LM videos from master classes (I was using YouTube clips for the latest release for a while, that's why the actual LM video is important for me).

Cons: shorter version of classes, not the latest release, may be less useful for people who prefer only one specific class (I don't really need the other ones because BC is the most important for me), no actual instructors if there's any question, less intense compared to group class (I'm guessing it's because I tend to do more in front of the others).

You might want to think about how likely you're gonna accept other classes to fill in for a full 60-min workout session (if you'd like to have that like before when you're in group class) since there are only five 30-min BC videos for On Demand that's available at this point.

(I've also been to the actual classes of Body Jam, Body Balance, Body Steps, and Body Attack. Body Combat is still my favorite, so it's really hard to cut it down to 30-min once a week as a part of a combined workout plan...)
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done Body Vive? I've just seen that my gym is adding this, and doing a big intro day for the new Les Mills releases in a couple of weeks time. I've signed up, as the description of a mix of cardio and resistance, whilst being low impact appeals to me. Any experiences would be hugely helpful - I want it to be tough cardio-wise, as I don't think I'm doing enough endurance-building cardio!

I tried Body Combat and, although I enjoyed the workout, it was just too tough on my knees, and I couldn't see too many ways to reduce the impact on them without compromising the exercises as a whole. BTW, I love the idea of Body Pump, for the strength/resistance aspect of the workout, but I peeked at a class at my gym this week, and it intimidated the hell out of me - just full of massively ripped people, lifting quite substantial weights. Not sure I'm brave (or have the upper body strength!) enough to try that one yet!
  • niniundlapin
    Options
    Has anyone done Body Vive? I've just seen that my gym is adding this, and doing a big intro day for the new Les Mills releases in a couple of weeks time. I've signed up, as the description of a mix of cardio and resistance, whilst being low impact appeals to me. Any experiences would be hugely helpful - I want it to be tough cardio-wise, as I don't think I'm doing enough endurance-building cardio!

I tried Body Combat and, although I enjoyed the workout, it was just too tough on my knees, and I couldn't see too many ways to reduce the impact on them without compromising the exercises as a whole. BTW, I love the idea of Body Pump, for the strength/resistance aspect of the workout, but I peeked at a class at my gym this week, and it intimidated the hell out of me - just full of massively ripped people, lifting quite substantial weights. Not sure I'm brave (or have the upper body strength!) enough to try that one yet!

I've never heard Body Vive before... maybe because I'm never in major cities :p I just checked the videos on YouTube and seems like it's what they described, a low impact class. But for me, it doesn't seem like a tough cardio- yes you'll still sweat, but not the out-of-breath kind of cardio like Body Combat and Body Attack. On the other hand, it's less stressful for joints and I'm sure there's a way to increase the difficulties by using heavier/higher resistance equipment.

I had the same impression like yours when I first step into Body Pump class! Just that I was also afraid to injure myself since my upper body strength was much lower at that time. It's different in my last gym though. People who went to Body Pump are mostly nice ladies- working moms who just joined the gym & started working out for a few months/years; not the gathering of ripped people you saw!
    Now I won't even have chance to experience that in group classes for a while until my next job, I guess (sigh...).
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Not heard of body vive! I also worried about the weights before starting body pump but now I love it! I'm certainly not ripped and I started out with tiny weights but have seen a massive improvement in my strength. Go try it, I reckon you'll find the people in the class are really nice and you'll be stronger than you think!

As for combat, you can do it low impact (without too much jumping) and still get your heart rate up pretty well. Try it out in a couple of weeks when the new release comes out.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Les Mills classes at the gym since April. I do BodyPump three nights a week, with also throwing in Combat, Attack, step and CX Worx (not sure if that's LM or not). Don't be intimidated by the pumpers! I started off light (no one will say anything negative about your weights) and have worked my way up quite substantially. I can feel my muscles now, it's great! Definitely my favorite, and the instructors are all amazing. They give you low and high options, as well as if you're a beginner, they tell you how to do the moves and what you should feel. Give it a try!
  • tane_momona
    tane_momona Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bodyvive has really ramped up the intensity - you might not jump a lot but you will be breathless and feeling it the next day!