What I bought for $20

Options
ashesfromfire
ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
So, I went to update my other forum post and found out it had been closed! Woopsie! Anyways, Here was last nights shpping trip, coming in at just under $15!
Roughly 2lbs rice, roughly 2lbs rolled oats, 5 potatoes, big bunches of celery and carrots, two onions, big box of strawberries, 4 peaches, big bag of grapes, six bananas, and a cantaloupe! $5 left to supplement as needed! (I have some dried beans on hand already for protein ⌒.⌒)
batvnjnoffzc.jpg

Replies

• Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's great!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Well good for you!! And with $5 left. Nice!! :+1:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    Not bad. You might want to consider getting some dried beans to add to the rice to make up a complete protein. Other than that, a good deal.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    very fruit
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You can make some really great nutritious meals from all this! You rock!
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Looks about like what I lived off in college. Well done!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'd suggest you freeze some of the grapes (if you can't eat them) and freeze some rice and some seasoned beans for the end of your weeks.

You did great!!
  • marcd90
    marcd90 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    That's some great stuff for about $15
  • pinkys008
    pinkys008 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yum! Can I eat at your house?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I would have added some cottage cheese for $2.50. Yes you can eat healthy without spending a fortune. Good work. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the update! Great choices!

Tips:

- The bananas will last a few days longer in the frig - the skins will start to turn brown but they will still be good inside. I freeze mine one they are ripe and use in smoothies. The texture won't be the same as a fresh banana, but they are fine for smoothies and other things for which texture is not important.

- Stone fruits like peaches should not be refrigerated and you have to keep an eye on them so you eat them at peak.

• khristiana
    khristiana Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Great haul! It all looks absolutely delicious!
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Good job staying on track and proving all the negative "it's impossible" people wrong.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Good job staying on track and proving all the negative "it's impossible" people wrong.

It's not impossible to buy fruits, veggies, oats, and rice for $15-20. However, if this is all someone eats for a 2 week span, then it is not a rational diet. Almost no dietary fat and protein are offered.