Weekends...help!!

Options
Okay so, I seem to be having a hard time sticking to eating healthy on the weekends. I don't eat out, but I snack on things I wouldn't normally eat during the week and then I have "eater's remorse". I really would like to get out of this nasty habit. Does/has anyone else have/had this problem? Do you have any tips to help me out as far as this goes?

Replies

• Choltor
    Choltor Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What has helped me more than anything, is to get rid of all the snack foods I know I shouldn't be eating. There are food banks which takes unopened goods, so it doesn't go to waste.

After that, start each weekend morning with a good, filling meal. That helps me reduce snacking by quite a bit.
  • vodkaswigger
    vodkaswigger Posts: 467
    Options
    I am exactly the same, mine is always saturdays when i drink with friends which i cant give up, its okay until pizza's and things start coming out. I havent got any tips but would love to hear some, best one is probably dont do it but its very hard at times as you know. I doubt odd treats wont do much damage anyway if your extra good thru the week. xx
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I also have the "weekend" problem, mainly due to social activities that go on! Then at the end of the day, eater's remorse kicks in! I am trying to keep lots of fresh fruit around. If I start thinking about eating, I get a glass of ice water to distract myself!! When Monday comes, I work extra hard to get back on track!
  • nikiswimr
    nikiswimr Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, all the social things on the weekend seem to involve food... so, eating low today to hope to even out a bit!
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree don't buy the snacks if you can, if like me you have to get some for the hubby have an extra walk on Saturday evening to gain yourself some extra calories?? Or log onto MFP just to check out the calories on what your thinking of eating and you will see its soooo not worth it. I found the first 2 weekends really tough but its getting better good luck.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    On the weekends, my husband is off work and can watch my son, so I go to the gym and work the crap out of my body. lol... Lack of a better word, I guess. But, I get a really really good workout in, then I can have a bit of the things I love but don't normally eat. I also share a lot. I share snacks with my husband and son. So, it's not like I go int he fridge get a whole ice cream and eat it just because it's there and in my hand. I share and get a taste of what I am craving, but have no choice but to give most of it or at least half of it up to those little hungry boogers. lol
  • SkinnyMissy1
    Options
    I totally have the same problem. Weekends are the hardest for me. After weigh in on Saturdays I tend to "reward" myself at parties or other social things. I don't have any suggestions, except control. I don't mind it as long as I am losing!
  • 24Years
    24Years Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hard as it may be, try to only keep the good healthy snack foods at home. If you don't have it, you can't eat it. Experiment with different types of foods. Try also to have a 'mommy' drawer for all your snack foods since you have kids and they may not like the kind of healthy treats you like. Also, keep busy, sometimes when we are idle our mind tends to wonder to food and we use eating to fill up our time. Best wishes on your wedding.
  • Cherese1983
    Cherese1983 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I am so glad it's not just me. I tend to not log into MFP on Friday nights or Saturdays. It's kind of like "what I don't know won't hurt me, but that is so not true. I am going to try and stay faithful and log in that way I being held accountable for my actions. Unfortunately, getting rid of the "bad" snacks are out because of my fiance and kids. We don't keep a lot of junk, but do have some. I am just going to have to try my best not to eat the "bad" stuff.
  • celestedavis
    celestedavis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have written out my "intentions" regarding food so my mind and heart are clear about what I really want to eat, no more drive by eating and grazing. There is nothing in my house that does not match my intention. I've already decided what I will eat when I go out to a restaurant, go to someone's home for dinner or snacks or go to a social or family gathering. Then when I am in those situations I either have what I want to eat because I brought it with me or I choose what I want.

I also have intentions for "must have treats". A rich chocolate dessert and a really good quality pizza are two of my "must haves". I allow myself one of each of those per month, I don't waste my "rich chocolate dessert" on a ding dong or a candy bar. At home I have treats that are healthy; lara bars, homemade coconut strawberry ice cream. Fruit sorbets and fruit smoothies. My husbands treats are organic popcorn and the same kind of frozen desserts I like. This keeps us away from the chips, candy and ice cream.

Our frozen coconut strawberry ice cream only has 84 calories, 14 grams of fat and 4 grams of sugar for 1/2 cup serving and it is rich, creamy and delish, pure healthy decadence!
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    Oh yeah! Definitely in the same boat. We had a pot luck bbq for my daughter's birthday yesterday. Most everything we had here was healthy and organic but there are A LOT of left overs that no one wanted to take back home with them. So they are crammed into our fridge needing to be eaten b/c I hate just throwing food away.
  • merrycat
    merrycat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. It's worst when we go out with people because I can't always control what will be on the menu. For situations like that all I can suggest is work out extra beforehand, and try to make the best choice. If you go over one day it won't stall your progress as long as you're good most of the time.

On the other hand, if I'm at home, what helps me is to log my treats *before* I eat them. When I see the calories written out on the screen then I find myself considering whether I really want to eat that, and if I wouldn't rather save the calories for something really awesome later.