sushi

Options
Does anyone know how healthy sushi is for you? I saw the crab had a lot of calories! My husband and I love sushi and are going out to get it with friends tommorow and I would like to know which kinds are good and healthy. Thanks for everyones help!!

Replies

• sarrie74
    Options
    Does anyone know how healthy sushi is for you? I saw the crab had a lot of calories! My husband and I love sushi and are going out to get it with friends tommorow and I would like to know which kinds are good and healthy. Thanks for everyones help!!
  • brookefoley
    brookefoley Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love sushi too!
    Avoid the ones with the mayo sauce!!

Check out this article.
    http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm

have fun!
  • speckle
    speckle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    although i don't know anything for sure, i'm guessing you could get a pretty good idea just by reading the ingredient descriptions. i would assume that the simpler rolls are better for you. You know, with just fish, veggies, etc. Fish by itself if pretty healthy. The problem is when it is drowned in sauces and mayo. Most traditional sushi would really just have plain fish. The sushi rolls that have tempura, deep fried ingredients, sauces, mayo, cream cheese, "crab salad" probably have more calories.

I think if you just exercise common sense when reading the menu, you'll be fine.
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    Sushi is great diet food, but its easy to go overboard too. Have some Miso soup first, as it is low calorie and will help fill you up. You can also order some edemame to share with everyone. Super yummy, super healthy, low in calories, and high in protein. When ordering the sushi, go for sashimi because its really low in calories and fat (this is just the fish, without rice). Avoid the fried stuff and, if you can, limit the amount of rolls you eat so you dont eat too much rice.
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    And avoid tempura (aka fried)!

It is delicious tho!

:drinker:
  • Michelle09
    Michelle09 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You can also check out the food database on here...it has a lot of the sushi and serving sizes. I found it to be helpful and not to mention, shocking at the same time! I didn't realize how much I was taking in with those 'little' bites of sushi. :grumble: