Do you log when you've been "bad"?

Options
1235»

Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    yes, i try to. but, sometimes it gets so out of control i can't even guesstimate. and sometimes there's a wee bit too much alcohol involved, and i don't even remember. lol.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Also, logging still sometimes helps me make a better choice- "do I really need that Nutella Oat Cookie?" actually becomes "do I want to have to log that cookie?".

Can you elaborate on these Nutella Oat Cookies? You know, for the sake of science? Is there a recipe somewhere?

That was a quote from another poster, for some strange reason it didn't show up as a 'quote'.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I made bad choices today and ended up too hungry as a result... ate 3200 calories. Logging it let me put it in perspective... I keep a 400 deficit most days. I still have a 300 deficit so far this week even with this bad day. So it's all good (I aim for a 1000 deficit a week, if possible, to make sure I don't end up gaining from my bad days, so I could still get it this week).

I think if I didn't log at all I'd be more likely to say 'oh whatever I've already ruined it anyway' and eat another 500-1000 calories or something (yes I still have room! hungry day I guess)...
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Wasn't sure how to word this but when you're taking time off your diet for whatever reason (in my case, first weekend of holiday and on my period) do you ever log it anyway to check the "damage" and to try to stay on track, or do you avoid doing this as it's just too depressing?

After seeing it written down, I've told myself I'll be doing plenty exercise and eating at loss tomorrow at least for damage limitation anyway! Feel sort of down about it now so not sure whether it's a good thing to do or not. :/

I have been watching my weight my whole adult life because I come from a long line of overweight women. I've managed to stay at a healthy weight all these years (other than one year I blew up 30 lbs because of an 80 hour workweek) by keeping a food/workout journal.
    But after turning 50 I've been carrying 10-12 vanity lbs that for the life of me I couldn't lose.
    Since starting MFP little less than a month ago I've already lost 3 lbs. Thet makes me so happy and I'm sure that it's directly related to MFP because I just can't make a mistake. I log EVERYThing on my phone immediately after eating it. The numbers are all there for you but only if you log every bite religiously. If you don't log everything then what is the point of even being here? You're only hurting yourself.
  • caci88
    caci88 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Definately log it!! Firstly, when I'm on holidays/it's the weekend/it's TTOM I just figure my macros out so I CAN eat whatever I want... Tonight I'm having cheesy meaty pizza and yogurberry covered in mnms and caramel ;) BUT if I have gone over for whatever reason I always log it, you will be very suprised how ridiculously over your cals/macros you go.. otherwise you underestimate it "oh it was ONLY 1 chocolate bar/some gelato/some pizza etc" but then you log it and you're like omg that was three days of food!!! You learn pretty quick smart it's not worth it and next time it comes around you'll not be so quick to do it!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There are times when I make a conscious decision to take a break from logging, for a set period of time because I need the mental break. When I'm just eating crappy, I log it.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have have done very well logging. Not always sure of accuracy of food when I eat out though. Do the best I can. But mostly eat home cooked meals anyway.

70044776.png
  • ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    Options

WinoGelato wrote: »
    Also, logging still sometimes helps me make a better choice- "do I really need that Nutella Oat Cookie?" actually becomes "do I want to have to log that cookie?".

Can you elaborate on these Nutella Oat Cookies? You know, for the sake of science? Is there a recipe somewhere?

That was a quote from another poster, for some strange reason it didn't show up as a 'quote'.

We have them in Starbucks in the UK- I love them. They are 383 calories and while they will usually fit in my maintanance calories, sometimes I just can't stretch to one! I should learn to make smaller ones myself then they would always fit! And they would probably fit my other budget better too...
  • velveteen7845
    velveteen7845 Posts: 70 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I log everything and I estimate calories and do a "quick add calories" if I eat out somewhere where they don't list that info. I don't see any point in only logging some of my calories.

What I don't do is share my diary. If my diary were shared, I would probably feel self conscious about days I have treats. Knowing that everybody else isn't seeing my diary makes it easier to log everything.

Edit to add: I have been doing this for 400+ days and I am still losing weight. I plan to lose another 10-20 pounds. I still plan to log in maintenance for at least a year or so, but I haven't decided yet if I will log forever.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I log everything that I eat now ...in the past I wouldn't and I was only hurting myself :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    The days that I overeat are the days that I need to get under control...they are actually more important for me to track than the days that I eat normally. So I log those "bad" days so that I have an idea of how far I have come in controlling what I eat.

I had one of those days on Thursday...I was hungry all day. I felt as if I had eaten 4-5000 calories. When I logged all of it I had actually eaten at maintenance. I at least know now that even when I eat all day that I am making much better choices.

I think that a lot can be learned from those "bad" days.
  • Bolibadale
    Bolibadale Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes log and stay with it good or bad. I am phy disable so I do not exercise as often as most and I dont want to be tempted with extra calories so I do not log my exercise......I do water exercise 3x a wk
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I log everything! It's the only way I can have an accurate view of what's going on with my weight. Eat too much? Yep, will gain weight. Stay on track with daily cals? Yep, will maintain... Eat at a deficit? Yep, will lose...

It's just cause and effect and it's important to be honest about it to stay on track with goals :) No point being in denial or hiding the facts ;)
  • lowriderjim
    lowriderjim Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have bad days. The difference from the past is I don't let it get me down. I log it and go on. I try to plan on plus goal calories and restrict before the event but sometimes just splurge. I admit to making use of "generic pig-out"
    or "generic pizza pig-out" entries and don't let it depress me. That would just lead me to further over-eating.
  • holagatita
    holagatita Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I do cheat days and I dont.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS log!! Keeps me on target. If something happens and can't log I added an item that 1 of "travel" is 2500 calories then adjust the quantity to what I mentally calculate I ate. Since have been doing this a couple of years, feel I get a reasonable number.