Elastic Hairbands- Do you wear them?

Options
When I am at the gym I see all these ladies with cute ponytails and the elastic hairbands holding their flyaways in place. Everytime I put one on the stupid thing slides across my head and falls off. I have thick healthy hair, what in the world am I doing wrong?? I have tried all kinds, including the expensive ones with the glue strip on the inside. Suggestions??

(I know it's not a high priority question, I just cant figure out why headbands hate me! Also, please dont message me and tell me its vain. Alot of us have indicated we want to increase our confidence and look better. I think having a well placed headband that matches my athlete shorts will improve my treadmill performance!)

:happy:

Replies

• mallymoo86
    mallymoo86 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help but they won't stay on my head either.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    have you tried these:

assorted-plastic-zig-zag-hair-clips-4-pack.jpg
  • BastaConLaPasta
    Options
    nope, pinging off my head too - unless I borrow my daughter's Hello Kitty hair slides. Which, let's face it, I'd rather not.
  • Macy_R
    Macy_R Posts: 91
    Options
    sometimes bobby pins help keep them in place...or I stretch them a little bit because the older the head band the better it fits on my head because when it's stretched it's not so tight and won't slip or pop off as easily! haha hope that made sense!
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't know the secret, either. My guess is bobby pins?
  • Mdm1322
    Mdm1322 Posts: 1
    Options
    I buy the really thin ones, and use bobby pins.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I don't know because mine stays in place and I have fairly thick hair and I love it. I just got a new kind at a running store - it seems tighter/less stretchy than the ones you get in the drugstore, and stays in great when I run. It's from sweatybands.com.
  • littlered301
    littlered301 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how they stay on. My hair is thick and full and they slip off my head. It's a pain.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've got baby fine hair. I've had no luck with them. I've given up on headbands.
  • stephierue
    stephierue Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Great question!! I have this problem too. I've bought like 4 or 5 different kinds-no luck!! Sometimes when I am out running, I lose them or find them later on the side of the track. Those accordion looking ones that someone was nice enough to post a picture of do work-at least 20 years ago they did. I forgot about that kind.
  • pictureperfect101
    Options
    im not sure maybe try some bobby pins !
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I got these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Scunci-No-slip-Evolution-Ponytailers-14-Count/dp/B003DKO83E/ref=sr_1_6?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1307315578&sr=1-6
    I use 2 at a time. One to put into a pony tail and one to then take the bottom of the pony tail and loop it up. It holds insanely well. I have very thick hair (no barrettes ever work). HTH
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your problem being "vain." Stray hair getting stuck to my face when I'm sweating hardcore on the elliptical is a very valid issue in my opinion!

I use regular headbands sometimes. The plastic/metal kind...
  • MissJoy18
    MissJoy18 Posts: 45
    Options
    Try hair pins to keep the hairbands in place. I also use maximum hold gel to keep the flyaways in place. Sometimes I wear an Under Armour running cap to keep the flyaways and sweat in check while on the elliptical.
  • stephlake
    stephlake Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. So the consensus seems to be that most headbands suck! Altho, I might try going to a running store and checking out what they have...

I did find this tip online:

Get a roll of that self adhesive bandage, it comes in lots of bright colors. Cut a strip about the length of your arm, flip your hair over and wrap your head. This chic claims it holds great.

Hmm.. Trendy or trashy?? LOL
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    they slip off my head too, but i have found a decent kind to use anyway... I use the Goodie Stayput brand - the skinny ones with rubber wrapped around them -- not the fat flat ones - they're cute but slip like crazy. I do have to readjust once in awhile but I find the closer you wear them to your forehead and the back of your neck the better they stay. If you really want to wear a fat cute one, i have also worn the skinny one with a fat one on top of it - it stays and gives you 'the look' :laugh:
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    scunci no slip grip

thats the brand that makes headbands with these rubber things on them so they dont fall off your head! they also have hair ties (for people with thick hair) and hair pins :)
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I just wait til I start a good sweat going, and then slick my hair back with sweat.
  • sculptcha
    sculptcha Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Also, please dont message me and tell me its vain.

Whoa, way off topic, but people actually do this? :noway:

Anywho, I have trouble with the headbands too, sadly, because I think they're very cute as well as practical. I always assumed it was because of the shape of my head. The back of my skull doesn't protrude out as much as most people's, so the band tends to "ride up" if that makes sense.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I use them and love them. I have quite a collection building. I coordinate them with my outfits.