Hair washing tips

Options
Hi everyone :-),

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on how much you wash your hair when exercising/how you stop it from looking greasy. I currently have bright red (dyed) hair, and washing it daily makes the colour fade very quickly! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance! :-)

Replies

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I sometimes wash my hair with just conditioner....as too much Shampoo can dry the hair out and strip its natural oils.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I only use real shampoo once a week.I use just conditioner while in the shower or wrap it up in a shower cap , except for one day per week
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I only need to wash mine a couple of times a week, I use dry shampoo in between if needs be.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo for dyed hair will help with greasy ness and not fade color. Wash normal every 3 days and in between dry shampoo. You can find at walmart or sallys beauty or target its basically a foam shampoo. In a spray can by tig or something.

• G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Depends on how sweaty/dirty I got. I avoid shampoo when I can and just use conditioner, and when I can get away with it I brush it out (with or without dry shampoo) and braid it. My hair tends to be oily so I prefer washing it at least twice a week, and it really doesn't dry it out (for now).

• jersey_54
    jersey_54 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    "Fitness and exersise" lol
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Sulfate free shampoo helps a ton I'm a natural red with a tendency to dye purple/black into it. Dry shampoo is also a god send.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I conditioner wash exclusively. I don't put anything in my hair that requires shampoo to wash out, everything is water soluble, and sweat is water soluble too, so shampoo isn't necessary.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I put my hair up for exercise, and try to get the spot in front of the fan to avoid sweating.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My hair is dyed blonde/light brown. It gets really sweaty when I run and I tend to oily hair so I can relate. I normally wash my hair every other day shortly after my run. If I need to do something with my hair in between washing I rinse it with plain water and then condition the ends. If I were washing less often I'd use dry shampoo on the days between. The one I have is actually a little tinted which also helps hid root growth. I got it at Ulta.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweaty mess, so dry shampoo doesn't help me. So I use conditioner when I wash, and use shampoo once or twice a week.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain; I'm a natural redhead, but color a darker/bolder red over my gingery-blonde natural color. I wash my hair once or twice a week (depending on how much sweating has gone down), in cool water, with sulfate-free shampoo.

In between, I spritz my roots with "Not Your Mother's Dry Shampoo" before I go to bed, and when I wake up, I just mix it up with my fingers, and done! Allowing the dry shampoo to soak up oils overnight makes the biggest difference, in my opinion. ;)
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I feel you, mine gets bronze-y when I wash it too much. I have a purple shampoo I use to keep the bronze away and have my hair dresser put more toner in it in between root touch ups. I use only conditioner in between washes.

There are shampoos you can use to help keep the red color, they have a slight red tint in them. A lot of different brands make it, salon and drug stores. Ask your hair dresser, she should be able to tell you the right one to use. Cheap way to add more red is to use Manic Panic but I'd be careful around that if you don't know what you are doing!! It can go wrong very quickly. I would suggest mixing a little with conditioner and leave it in for a couple minutes if you're gonna try it. It stains everything it touches. Heard of people using henna dyes in between color appointments, as well. Wash in room temp water and don't use your blow dryer everyday.

When my hair is dirty on the 3rd day, I curl it starting at the roots so it looks separated on purpose ;) Saves another day of not washing and it curls better when it's dirty anyways.
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with this myself. My hair gets crazy sweaty when I workout, and I workout 5 nights a week. I bought sample size bottles of shampoo and conditioner over the weekend at Ulta. They are made by Pureology and called Reviving Red. Its pretty pricey at $30 which is why I bought the sample to try first. I am hoping that they help. I just went red for the first time last week and love it, I want it to last as long as possible. I try to only wash 2 times per week but its hard sometimes. I'm going to try the just using conditioner technique!
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My hair doesn't get super sweaty when I work out but I only wash my hair 1-2 times a week. I have super curly hair and I straighten it once a week so I don't want to ruin it by washing/having to do it all again. Sometimes I use baby powder but often I don't need it. Try wearing a head band that absorbs sweat and put it up in a twist/bun so it doesn't get kinky or bumpy. My profile pic is actually post workout haha!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    jersey_54 wrote: »
    "Fitness and exersise" lol

Hey now, "fitness and exercise" is partially for improved appearance as is taking care of our hair! Seems to be fitting to me.

OP, experiment with dry shampoos. I've used expensive ones that I've hated and cheaper ones that work well. Also, make sure if you are sweaty that your hair dries completely first before using dry shampoo. I made that mistake early on and wondered why it didn't work for me.

I, too, color my hair red and know how quickly it fades, so I shampoo only 3 times per week and use dry shampoo the other days if need be.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I sweat so much when I do any cardio that I can't not wash it, so I feel your pain. I tend to alternate my workouts, so one day is a lot of cardio (for me, it's running) which means washing my hair, but the days in between I either go swimming and wear a swimming cap or I do a strength training programme in the gym, which doesn't leave me dripping in sweat like cardio does. It's annoying, but not as annoying as washing my hair every day would be!
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Junk headbands work wonders for me I am usually sweating like a pig at the end of my run. The headbands absorb a lot of the sweat. They aren't cheap (at least what I consider cheap for a headband) but they work.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I do a ton of hot yoga, so I'm having to wash my hair often but I'll try the conditioner route. I have very fine hair though and I would be afraid of that making my hair limp and lifeless.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Sulfate-free shampoo. I have purple and turquoise streaks in my hair and can't wash every day either. It gets pretty gunky after I teach my fitness classes, but I've learned to just dry it and try to keep it poofed up. I have fine hair and it's not recommended that I use dry shampoo. I also have some spray on conditioner that helps. Towards the end of the week I wear a hat. lol