Things to do with celery?

Options

Replies

• Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    madammags wrote: »
    I use celery as part of the base of almost every stew/casserole I make. Onion, celery, carrots sweated together until golden, add garlic, and then everything else (e.g. for vegie bolognese I use lentils, tinned tomatoes, and various vegies). Same for soups (e.g. minestrone).

You don't taste the celelry in that case, it just becomes part of overall flavour impression. It you really don't like it, my mum would always run it through a shredder/food processor before putting it into stews, even less distinct.

I would recommend this!
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    throw it in the bin.its horrible
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I love celery...I slice it super thin and mix it with a diced apple, diced chicken breasts and some light mayo for a low cal lunch salad.

It's a great addition to soups, stews, stir fry's...
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Put peanut butter on it, lick peanut butter off, throw away celery.

Brilliant :-)

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    LOVE celery! Just a couple of ideas:

-stir fry
    -chicken subgum-type chow mein
    -veggie stock, veggie soup, chicken soup (with onions, garlic, carrots, parsley, rosemary, etc.)
    -chicken salad (chicken, grapes or apples, green onions, mayo, curry, etc...I like to serve it over spinach)
    -Cajun food...look up "Cajun holy trinity"...you could make Cajun shrimp, gumbo, jambalaya
    -any French dish with a mirepoix base
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Justifier wrote: »
    Why did you buy it if you don't like it?

The only way I can eat it is "ants-on-a-log" style. Peanut butter and raisins, yum!

Because I havn't bought it in such a long time I forgot I didnt like it XD Also it was dirt cheap- and I was in a "buy ALL the healthy foods" kind of mood.
  • learningtolove
    Options
    I put a bit in my acorn squash soup last night and a tad in my stuffed pepper mix.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I love celery...I slice it super thin and mix it with a diced apple, diced chicken breasts and some light mayo for a low cal lunch salad.

It's a great addition to soups, stews, stir fry's...

This^

Mmmmm....I love celery!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    This Braised Celery with Onion and Pancetta looks so good. I'm totally going to make that since my sister in law left a bunch of celery in my fridge after making potato salad.
  • learningtolove
    Options
    This Braised Celery with Onion and Pancetta looks so good. I'm totally going to make that since my sister in law left a bunch of celery in my fridge after making potato salad.
    This looks yummy!
    I dont have pancetta,but mighty alter it with some sausage!
  • AmberlyMarlene
    AmberlyMarlene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Put it in the trash.

Sorry couldn't resist. Hate the stuff... move along :p

Exactly my thoughts but then again celery doesn't like me xP
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I like it with hummus or pb. Also very good in soups and stir fry. I use it in any type of non-leafy salad (chicken salad, egg salad, etc.) because it adds a nice crunch.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Chop it up and cook it in a stew, soup, stir fry or chili and it has almost no flavor of its own.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    This looks yummy!
    I dont have pancetta,but mighty alter it with some sausage!

I don't either, but I have plenty of center cut bacon!
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You can throw it in soup, stir fry, or tuna salad! :)
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Any type of soup, scramble eggs and also love it in my tuna salad
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Let it sit in the fridge for a few weeks until it starts to turn, then deposit in composter. At least that's what usually happens here.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    spread some great PB2 (peanut butter you make up from the powder google it) in it, and dot with either dried cranberries, or raisins.

This is great. I believe it's called ants on a log. mmmmm
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I save the middle leaves for soup or stew. If that is where they are going, you can freeze them.

Sliced thin and added to a Greek salad or coleslaw.

Julienned with carrots and/or yams, sugar peas and bell peppers for a stir fry.

http://pinterest.com/pin/361132463846616991/
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Celery + peanut butter
    celery in tuna
    celery + hummus