Aches and pains and cramps Oh My!

Options
I am relatively new to this exercise thing. Have only been going at it for about 3 weeks now and oh my goodness do I ache some days! I was up all night the other night because my legs hurt so bad. Is this normal? Has anyone else started out like this? I am not alone here....am I?

Replies

• srtiemann
    srtiemann Posts: 76
    Options
    Are you drinking a lot of water? If not that would explain the pain. Yes you will feel some aches and pains, especially if you are doing very intense workouts and are not use to them. The water should help, it helps to carry the toxins out of your body.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Perfectly normal, you are working muscles in ways they have not been worked in a long time - they take some getting used to it and will ache and hurt for a while.

Just listen to your body and start to differentiate between 'good' pain - pain that means you are doing well and 'bad' pain - pain that means you have hurt yourself and need to see a doctor.

:)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Agree with the water.
    Also, make sure you're getting all the needed nutrients. When we cut calories, we often get fewer of the vitamins and minerals we need too. Potassium is well known for preventing/combating muscle cramps. Most fresh fruits offer potassium (for example, a kiwi has about as much as the famed banana). A multivitamin is a good idea too. There are some especially for people who are more active, but a generic daily vitamin works pretty well.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I agree with the water and a little pain killer.

I suffered for months. First calves, then shins, hips, and then my lower back. Thought the lower back pain would never go away. One thing you can do is stretch before and stretch after.

Hang in there!
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    when i started to run my legs hurt SO incredibly bad to the point that i couldn't fall asleep. i took some ibuprofen and that helped some, but just keeping up with it made it better and i can now run 8+miles with no aches and pains after. definitely wait a day to exercise if it's PAINFUL but if it's just achy then keep on going.
  • mzthiknez
    mzthiknez Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Its natural for your body to ache and become sore... as u aren't used to exercising and your body isn't used to working those muscles that you are currently putting into motion... take nice hot baths in EPSON SALT... as well as when you sleep... if u happen to work your legs... try sleeping on ur side with a pillow in between to withhold the weight from ur other leg on top of it...
    If you have worked your arms, I suggest sleeping on ur back... ur side or stomach may cause u some irritation in your sleep as... ur front part of ur body isnt as strong as ur back is to withhold ur weight... I hope this helps you... It always does for me... GOOD LUCK... add me
  • DanceMomCG
    DanceMomCG Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Agree with the water.
    Also, make sure you're getting all the needed nutrients. When we cut calories, we often get fewer of the vitamins and minerals we need too. Potassium is well known for preventing/combating muscle cramps. Most fresh fruits offer potassium (for example, a kiwi has about as much as the famed banana). A multivitamin is a good idea too. There are some especially for people who are more active, but a generic daily vitamin works pretty well.

Potassium is key to preventing muscle cramps!!!! Try adding some to your diet and you should notice a difference.
  • ShannonBurdick
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input! Be sure that I will give all of them a try! :)