Losing weight while abroad [Singapore]

Hello, about a month ago I moved from the US to study abroad at the National University of Singapore. Before I moved, this past summer I really got into a routine that worked for me (nightly yoga, eating within my calories, eating (relatively) low-carb, and managing to lose a total of 8 pounds in 10 weeks. First time after many failed attempts that I lost more than a pound or two!

Since moving here, I am completely at a loss for what to do since I do not have a kitchen, nor access to the many foods I used to eat that would fill me and keep me under calories (good quality deli meats, protein bars, greek yogurt, Chipotle...). No nutrition information is provided by the food stalls on campus so I am estimating the calories of most things I am logging. It is very hard to find cheap, lean meats as well and when I do receive them as part of my meals, it is a small portion with wayyy too much rice to compensate, leaving me hungry only an hour or so later. Additionally, I am always tempted to try the unique dishes as well as enjoy favorites while I can (like dim-sum at all hours of the day).

I've weighed myself and I've already completely gained back the 8 pounds I lost and with this new routine I will undoubtedly gain more. Does anyone have any advice on what to do when abroad in regards to healthy eating? Any advice about Singapore particularly? Thanks.

Replies

• HKWilly
    HKWilly Posts: 23 Member
    Hi there. I live in Hong Kong and travel to Singapore frequently. Singapore is relatively easy because there are many fitness freaks there. Lol.

Most of the food courts in the malls will have healthy options like salad places or low calorie and low carb places. Not too tough to find those. When I am in a real pinch in Singapore, I will go to an Indian place at the hawker stalls and get Chicken Tikka. It's just chicken Breast with dry rub spice. Very tasty. Very delicious. Vey lean very low carb.

As for yogurts, there are Pret A Manger restaurants all over Singapore, you can get Greek yorgurt there.

Good luck. Hang in there. The food in Singapore is good and Dim Sum is awesome generally. Maybe restrict it to Sunday brunch, it's really a brunch type of food anyway.
  • LB5472
    LB5472 Posts: 7 Member
    What else would you recommend at the hawker stalls? The canteens on NUS campus, where I eat most of the time, are set up very similarly to a hawker center.

Also, how many calories would you estimate the Chicken Tikka to be? I do choose the legs (no breasts available) some days and they are delicious but I still am not sure how to count them :S Also how much rice do you estimate that they give you? I always assume at least 2-3 cups but I could be wrong?