Whats your take on this?

Options
I currently doing c25K and it says to take a break every other day. What I want to know is if taking a day to rest after each day your run is totally neccessary? because I feel like I'm not getting enought when i'm doing that.

Also I didn't know if if would be okay to supplement my week 4 runs with runs from week 2. For instance MWF do week 4 then on T&TH do say week 2 runs. Then when I move on to week 5 supplement it with week 3 runs? What do you guys think about this?

Replies

• Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd do XT on the non-running days rather than add in running days (and did when I did C25K). C25K is designed for people brand new to running, and as such is scheduled to hopefully prevent TMTS (Too Much Too Soon) injuries. Much better to do XT on the non-running days than run and end up sidelined with ITBS, Runner's Knee, Plantar Fasciitis, or even a Stress Fracture.

And remember, your body gets stronger on rest days. So I'd include one day of no exercise to allow your muscles time to repair and grow stronger.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I just finished week one. While I did have the desire to do it every day, I have been told it is better to rest those days and either walk or do some other exercise on the other days.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Definitely take the day off from running, but do something else. A nice walk, bike ride, elliptical, weight train, swim... just no running on the off days. It really helps you not get injured! Make sure you take one complete rest day per week! Muscles need to recover in order to build up!!!!
  • daveevans08
    Options
    i run every day monday through to saturday. i just vary the speed and distance. good luck.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    run 3 days, lift weights 3 days, rest one day. bam you're sexy :)
  • jimmy_jenkins
    Options
    I'm just starting week 4, i tend to use the C25K days as my light cardio days (I burn about 400 calories doing a c25k session), and do 45 mins of cardio on the other days (burning about 700 calories). But i guess as C25K gets harder i might have to adjust this slightly.
  • bruceseverson
    Options
    The key was in one of the earlier replies - C25K is just that - Couch To 5K. It is for brand-new runners. It is very important to take the rest days. Your body needs it to build the muscle tissue. When you over-train too early, you damage yourself and end up taking longer to get where you want to be. To build up to be running every day, like the recent poster said, you need to build up to that over a period of time. The C25K is a fairly ambitious program already. You probably don't want to push it any more than that. Do other exercises. There are lots of things you can do other than run that will help you in the long run. Work on strength training. If you belong to a gym, use the machines. Start with low weights, lots of reps. Then build up slowly. Do aerobics on your days off - especially low-impact aerobics, so you don't stress the same pressure points that running puts stress on. Good luck!

5255597.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am a non runner doing c25k. I am doing it 3x a week and then doing bootcamp 3x per week and then doing an hour of walking as often as I can (about 4 times a week). It seems to be working for me. I did consider doing more c25k workouts but I wanted to stick with it and not burn out or get injured. HTH
  • cmg2008
    cmg2008 Posts: 139
    Options
    Thanks for all your input guys, I think I'll stick with the running every other day, i don't want to overwork myself!